Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla posts FSD demo video of Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. You may be onto something. Perhaps the whole show was staged? Actors filling in for the people in the audience? I mean with moon landings done in the 60s done on a stage, doing a fake web cast in 2019 is a piece of cake. Was Trip Chowdhry really in the audience? They never really showed his face. Or any audience members! Hmmm. That shady Elon is at it again.

... /s

Somewhere out there, a Faraday Future exec is reading your post and taking notes.

What I'm saying is, Tesla generally encourages content creation at their events. It's odd it wasn't the case with this one.

how does it detect a school crossing guard or a construction zone with a lower speed limit?

The current system can already see pedestrians- presumably the HW3 based one does it even better.

The current system can also recognize construction zones- presumably the HW3 based one does it even better (including, everyone hopes, speed limit sign reading)

Reactions: Nocturnal
The current system can already see pedestrians- presumably the HW3 based one does it even better.

The current system can also recognize construction zones- presumably the HW3 based one does it even better (including, everyone hopes, speed limit sign reading)

The speed limit one is baffling to me, why is Tesla so far behind. I know BMW has had that for years I'm sure other manufactures do as well.

also.. would add travel thru a school zone.. Usually that is a special case..
I think it will take a while until any autonomous vehicle can interpret something like this correctly. :p

xd4KtXQ.jpg

The speed limit one is baffling to me, why is Tesla so far behind. I know BMW has had that for years I'm sure other manufactures do as well.

BMW uses Mobileye tech (as did Tesla in AP1, which did read signs)

Guess who owns the patent on reading signs? Mobileye.

US8064643B2 - Detecting and recognizing traffic signs - Google Patents

Presumably Tesla has a way around this for HW3/FSD since it will at least read stop signs, at which point I expect it'll also read speed limit signs.

Yeah.. Those that were promised first if we ever get it will get it last. How long does he expect people to hold onto cars that we purchased years ago. We will be coming up on 3 years of promises in October. How many people that purchased 3 year lease vehicles will return them without ever getting features they paid for? I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth and we are to believe that there will me a million Tesla Taxis on the road next year.

I repeat: Believe nothing in Elon's timelines. He delivers what he promises, but never on time. I didn't pay for FSD because it was just simply obvious common sense that he could not deliver what he was promising during the time I expected to own the car. I am a big fan of Elon's. I think that what he has accomplished is utterly fabulous. I love the guy. But one of his many flaws is that he makes promises he cannot keep, and anybody who has followed Tesla from back when they were developing the Roadster knows that nothing happens when promised.

I think it will take a while until any autonomous vehicle can interpret something like this correctly. :p

xd4KtXQ.jpg

That's Photoshopped, right? There's no way that's a real sign! The dead give-away is the odd times. 7:49, 2:03, etc. No real traffic sign would have that. And on top of that, school-zone time-based speed limits will be one chunk of time in the morning and one in the afternoon.

It is hilarious, though. Thanks for the laugh.

Patent laws are so ridiculous how can you patent reading a public street sign.
The patent describes the methodology used to detect and interpret the posted signal.
The description is quite detailed, in particular when there might be more than one speed sign posted.

The street image is taken in a public area, so there is no proprietary content in the mage itself.
So now for Tesla, it just a matter of saying that “There's more than one way to skin a cat

Anyway, (if you did listen to Elon Musk during the Tesla Autonomy Day, at 1:54:57)
a video image, and even a Lidar image, is just a matrix of pixels.
So basically you are analysing a binary raw file which could be anything, from an image to a music concerto.

Last edited: