Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla posts FSD demo video of Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking at your crappy list above, thinking, I’ve experienced 10 times worse from many of the other auto makers I’ve dealt with over the years.
I still think people just need to dramatize in order to validate themselves or something.

My latest service experience: To get one decal installed on my car it took FIVE visits. 3 mobile service, including one no show by the mobile tech and 2 service center visits. For one decal. Everytime they would either forget to order the part, or mess up the install and only have 1 part available. Finally got it installed when I refused to take the car back after the last service visit where it had not been installed. Maybe you have had that kind of poor service experience with another make, but I sure haven't.

I remember thinking I would never put up with that level of incompetence from any other manufacturer except Tesla. Then I wonder why I accept it from Tesla?

• Funny
Reactions: Mobster and ord3r
And you know that for sure ?

Of course not. The assumption would be that the demo routes would show the best of what the system is capable of and avoid what it doesn’t do well [yet]. That’s just common sense. You’re going to give the demo the best chance of success because otherwise the focus will be on where it failed (see: Cruise and Nissan demos).

If it could handle 4 way stop signs at crowded intersections (for example) where the car has to understand its place in line, they would have made sure that was on the route - they’d be crazy not to!

I’m not in the camp that thinks they’re behind or anything like that. Just saying the route tells you what they’re 100% confident about at this stage in time vs. not.

Of course not. The assumption would be that the demo routes would show the best of what the system is capable of and avoid what it doesn’t do well [yet]. That’s just common sense. You’re going to give the demo the best chance of success because otherwise the focus will be on where it failed (see: Cruise and Nissan demos).

If it could handle 4 way stop signs at crowded intersections (for example) where the car has to understand its place in line, they would have made sure that was on the route - they’d be crazy not to!

To be fair- they didn't have the option of "everything" in picking what was along the route.

They were constrained by:

time of day (unless they were gonna hire a ton of people to simulate traffic for them)

starting and ending location (the presentation)

What things are within a distance FROM that starting/ending location to make the total drive take the amount of time they allocated for each drive.

I have to say, there are a lot of Tesla haters on this forum, that seemingly also own a Tesla.
Many claim to love the car, but not the company, or Elon.
Some seem to simply hate the car, Elon, and Tesla.
What I don’t understand is why they continue to hang out here to simply spread rumours, exaggerate, dramatize, and bash.
Most of the bashing, or drama isn’t founded on much.

I still own a few toys that I’m not using much, and not a huge fan of these days. I stopped frequenting the forums for those toys around the time I stopped liking them.

I guess it’s the nature of forums....

The Autonomy Day (and demo video) was a complete disappointment. It was built up by Elon as freeing investors from the tyranny of driving our own cars. I was expecting live demonstrations and test rides. I expected to see a fleet of Teslas driving themselves around to arbitrary destinations, navigating traffic, stop lights, intersections and making left turns into traffic.

But there was nothing like that. Tesla did not show anything close to the impression they gave. The current state of the art of self-driving cars that they have shown is the enhanced summons mode with Teslas driving around parking lots at 2 mph.

I am hoping that Tesla has a lot more progress that they are not showing in the new demo video. But now fear that Autonomy Day may have been an attempt to create an alternative narrative just prior to a rough quarterly earnings report.

Am I a hater? Am I bashing Tesla ?

The Autonomy Day (and demo video) was a complete disappointment. It was built up by Elon as freeing investors from the tyranny of driving our own cars. I was expecting live demonstrations and test rides. I expected to see a fleet of Teslas driving themselves around to arbitrary destinations, navigating traffic, stop lights, intersections and making left turns into traffic.

Uh, that's exactly what happened (other than destination being arbitrary- since they were running a route then coming back to where they picked up)

Uh, that's exactly what happened (other than destination being arbitrary- since they were running a route then coming back to where they picked up)

Were there any live demonstrations shown to the public ? Releasing more staged demo videos on a predetermined route with little traffic, sped up with no sound is so far from my expectations. It was just deja vu all over again.

To be fair- they didn't have the option of "everything" in picking what was along the route.

They were constrained by:

time of day (unless they were gonna hire a ton of people to simulate traffic for them)

starting and ending location (the presentation)

What things are within a distance FROM that starting/ending location to make the total drive take the amount of time they allocated for each drive.

100% with you, but I know the area extremely well and they could have gotten more traffic and other types of intersections etc. if they wanted to. El Camino is a major boulevard (kind of like Sepulveda in LA) and would be plenty "urban" for their purposes, along with all of its side streets.
The time chosen for the video demo was interesting as well - sunset on what I assume was a weekend day. The traffic was way, way lighter than it would be at 7:30pm on a weeknight. Which is why it would have been nice to hear some riders from yesterday compare their routes and experiences to the video demo.

It's fake in the sense that they claim they are demonstrating "full self driving" capability, but in reality they are demonstrating limited level 2 driver aids on a carefully selected route.
Give me a break. Let’s stop the whining. That video showed an aweful lot of random traffic that the system had to deal with. The whole thing was very impressive.

I do find it curious that this is still the only video of FSD from that event. Not going to suggest any conspiracies... but how did a room full of people go on test rides but not one person took a photo or video?
Simple: they weren't allowed to record video of the rides. They probably got to see a bit more than the public video shows (such as the debug mode on the screen that Musk mentioned).

I do find it curious that this is still the only video of FSD from that event. Not going to suggest any conspiracies... but how did a room full of people go on test rides but not one person took a photo or video?

They got in after being told they weren't allowed to film the trip I assume?

BTW here's something interesting for those speculating about the HW3 upgrade timeline-

Elon Musk said:
By end of this quarter, about half a million Teslas will have full self-driving hardware (pending computer swap)

We know they can only build about 125k cars a quarter these days... and they've only been installing HW3 in new cars basically this quarter (and not even that long for Model 3)

So that suggests they plan to do ~375k HW3 upgrades in existing HW2.x cars by end of June.

I mean, it's Elon Time, so probably won't come near that target, but it suggests they're at least planning to START a lot sooner than some folks speculated.

But there was nothing like that. Tesla did not show anything close to the impression they gave. The current state of the art of self-driving cars that they have shown is the enhanced summons mode with Teslas driving around parking lots at 2 mph.

I am hoping that Tesla has a lot more progress that they are not showing in the new demo video. But now fear that Autonomy Day may have been an attempt to create an alternative narrative just prior to a rough quarterly earnings report.

Am I a hater? Am I bashing Tesla ?

I have mixed feelings about autonomy day.

The technical stuff in the beginning was extremely important to get an understanding of Tesla's approach, and the kinds of things they were doing. Even the stuff that likely was leading to some AP behaviors that were annoying some owners.

All that I felt was pretty solid.

I can't stand listening to Musk talk so I didn't pay much attention to anything he said.

The demo video was expected, but they should have posted a real-time version. Sure I used the 1/4 playback speed to try to simulate real time, but that wasn't really good enough.

The biggest mistake they made was not allowing the investors to record the rides.

That would have completely separated it from the 2016 video that most Tesla followers consider fake.

I think they screwed up on that one. But, in any case I expect to see some pretty rapid movement on that front so in 3-6 months its going to be a mute issue.

The video is very impressive. Hands off the wheel is a big step forward, and it stops for lights, and presumably stop signs. It's still a very long ways from what I'd call true full self-driving, which is when I can take a nap in the back seat while the car drives me where I want to go with a lower risk of accident than if I were driving myself. And the car would safely pull over and wake me up if it encountered something it could not handle. But, yes, this is impressive and encouraging.

The video is very impressive. Hands off the wheel is a big step forward, and it stops for lights, and presumably stop signs.
If you look closely you'll notice that it actually doesn't stop at any lights where there isn't another car already waiting. Any car with EAP can do that today. ;)

The stop signs were interesting though. However, due to the playback speed it's not possible to see how smoothly it took the 90 degree turns and the cloverleaf exchange, how well it picked a lane after the turn, and there was unfortunately also no cross traffic or anything. This video leaves a lot of questions open and, frankly, doesn't look all that impressive to me.

Reactions: GeoX750
One big question is if it can really handle intersections and junctions. It waits for the lights to change, but for example can it see far left and right down the road it is joining to check if cars are actually coming?

One big question is if it can really handle intersections and junctions. It waits for the lights to change, but for example can it see far left and right down the road it is joining to check if cars are actually coming?
Seriously? You think they overlooked that little details? Here is a picture from a TMC user (drawing blank on name for proper credit). Pillar cameras see far.

Lsvxhi8.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: brianman