Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla price cut hurts current owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The self-destructive behavior of "putting money on the hood" of new vehicles to move inventory has consistently proven detrimental to the long-term health of car companies. For one, it harms used car values and thus harms current owners. EV values on the used car market are already bad. Tesla may win some new sales with the new pricing, but it's harmful to current owners. I guess we know where Tesla's attention is focused. Meanwhile my Model S is worth in the neighborhood of $2k less than it was yesterday.
I don't know what you are talking about. I don't want to be rude, but I will be. You need some elementary grade math lessons.

Price of Tesla cars actually increased by $1750 since Jan 1. That increase should be have been $3750, but Tesla took some off those sting off and kept the price increase to $1750.

So the used car price of your Model S is actually a fraction of $1750 higher now compared to last month.

Remember that some utilities upped there rebates too. SCE, went from $450 n 2118 to $1,000 in 2019. So that’s another $550 to add to Tesla’s $2K. So the car is really about $1,000 more than before. But as others have said, with the paint, AWD, destination, PUP, changes, it’s murky.

I don't know what you are talking about. I don't want to be rude, but I will be. You need some elementary grade math lessons.

Price of Tesla cars actually increased by $1750 since Jan 1. That increase should be have been $3750, but Tesla took some off those sting off and kept the price increase to $1750.

So the used car price of your Model S is actually a fraction of $1750 higher now compared to last month.

Take it easy on him, he’s an eye surgeon not a mathematician.

Super annoying! And they keep making the cars better too!! How dare they improve their cars and reduce prices!!:rolleyes:
Yeh! I've been cheated too. My '13 S85 doesn't even have powered folding rearview mirrors, or parking sensors and I should demand that Tesla gives me a retrofit of EAP etc. Sorry, but I think that complaining about a price cut is being petty. After all, everyone already owning a Tesla has at least the opportunity for the full tax credit.:(

LOL; In these bipartisan times it warms my heart to see something most of us can 'agree' on :)

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 4.29.14 PM.png

Last edited:
While I'm not Tesla's biggest fan currently, I don't see anything wrong with the price cut. Things change all of the time with Tesla...

This is a bit of an oversimplification but, situations like this are why I lease my Tesla's and will never buy one...

Jeff