Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Product Announcement at noon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A point that I think some might be missing: The battery is part of the motor, not part of the gas tank. Increasing the size of a gas tank does nothing for performance. Changing the battery structure and power directly affect (sorry, not a fan of "impact") the acceleration of the car. Changing the cooling makes it able to run farther at high speed. Incidently, it affects range, but not like building a larger gas tank. Just making the car dual motor instead of single increased the power and range.

In essence, the gas car analogies are weak. They may be familiar, but they are not quite correct. Core charges don't quite apply, either. Tesla can, and does, charge, whether anyone likes it or not.
Actually, the 60kwh battery's had lower voltage so an 85/90 kwh battery would certainly increase performance in those models.

In essence, the gas car analogies are weak. They may be familiar, but they are not quite correct. Core charges don't quite apply, either. Tesla can, and does, charge, whether anyone likes it or not.

I'd like to suggest another analogy then. My hard drive died on my apple macbook years ago. I brought it into the genius bar and they said it would cost x to replace it but refused to do the work unless I forfeited my dead drive.

I'd like to suggest another analogy then. My hard drive died on my apple macbook years ago. I brought it into the genius bar and they said it would cost x to replace it but refused to do the work unless I forfeited my dead drive.
That would suck especially when at times it can be a faulty controller board and the data is intact without having to deal with expensive data recovery. They probably need the drive for warranty purposes as they have Seagate, Western Digital, etc as the OEM for parts. Seeing that Tesla makes the battery (or would you consider that Panasonic?), that would again make a bad analogy.

That would suck especially when at times it can be a faulty controller board and the data is intact without having to deal with expensive data recovery. They probably need the drive for warranty purposes as they have Seagate, Western Digital, etc as the OEM for parts. Seeing that Tesla makes the battery (or would you consider that Panasonic?), that would again make a bad analogy.
Analogies aren't great, but they are sometimes useful. I mentioned in another thread that the 100kWh pack represents a 10k retail premium over the 90kWh pack already installed in the vehicle. That might mean that each battery is worth, let's say, $30k. If Tesla let you keep that pack and replace it with a new pack for an outlay of $20k, they'd potentially be a bit backwards on accounting. Especially when you consider that they probably can't reuse the existing lightly-used pack except to recycle it.

So the cutoff was either delivery based - meaning if you have your car, you can upgrade for $20k, and if you don't, you will upgrade for $10k - or it was confirmation based - meaning that if you already confirmed the order, but didn't receive the car then you could upgrade for $10k as well even if it meant you'd take delivery and return the battery. Tesla chose the latter route. I initially didn't see the clarity in that. However, it's been pointed out that if Tesla had taken the other route, owners who "maxed" their P90DLs would have done the math to realize they could save $7500 by just declining delivery and ordering anew. That is, $2500 lost, but a $10k difference in overall price.

So in the end, Tesla thought about this (imagine that) and did what appears to be the most logical thing.

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser