Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Product Announcement at noon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. They draw it in, which has the effect of cooling the occupant as well. I find them completely adequate in our X. Others have not found them to be as effective on their vehicles.

Which is a problem for those of us who live inside the US swamparse zone. I can just see it now, walking out of my car with a sweaty bum despite the seat ventilator on and my car's A/C unit screeching like a jet engine.

I don't understand a few things...
1. Did you fabricate this $1000 core fee?
2. You really think Tesla is going to just sell you a 100kWh battery without a trade-in? If they'll even do that (they won't), it's going to cost a lot more than $20k, because they're calculating that $20k including getting a 90kWh pack back, which is worth a lot more than $1000.
3. You don't seem to be including labor on two pack swaps, or the hacking required to accomplish that.

But let us know when you accomplish this feat.

1. The current core rate is $1000 for your old battery. I'm not giving then a battery, so I'm penalized.
2. Yes, considering Tesla is approaching a claimed $200 per kWh cost.
3. 80 bucks per car (that's what battery swap is, isn't it?). Plus 2hrs per car for firmware flash.

I'm not saying it's reality, I'm just trying to paint a reasonable picture. And if Tesla wants to charge us a grand to "certify" the batteries, great. They turn a bit of profit off the whole thing.

The Design uses a term of cooled, dried ventilation ---so perhaps cooled is not out of the question. The plumbing would be a bit clumsy to pipe main cabin freon into the seat. A simple seat fan would be quite simple to implement - and calling the cabin air cooled and dried would not be entirely incorrect. I am willing to pay $500 more on my leather next-gen seats to have this fan. I don't want to pay $3500 on top of $3000 leather to get a fan.
Real cooled seats use a peltier chip to cool (and heat) the air that is pumped through the seats.

1. The current core rate is $1000 for your old battery. I'm not giving then a battery, so I'm penalized.
2. Yes, considering Tesla is approaching a claimed $200 per kWh cost.
3. 80 bucks per car (that's what battery swap is, isn't it?). Plus 2hrs per car for firmware flash.

I'm not saying it's reality, I'm just trying to paint a reasonable picture. And if Tesla wants to charge us a grand to "certify" the batteries, great. They turn a bit of profit off the whole thing.

Just because the core rate is $1000 doesn't mean you get to keep your old pack for $1000, and in fact Tesla has never done that. For $20k you get a pack upgrade and they keep your pack. So far they've never let anyone keep it for $1000 and I think it's a foolish assumption to make, leaving your entire plan with no feet to stand on.

I don't follow how if the kWh rate is nearing $200, that means Teska will start selling raw battery packs. Where did you get that conclusion?

Battery swap for $80? That's when tesla *had* a swapping station. They aren't doing that anymore. Is there some third party offering battery swaps for $80? I don't think so.

Not according to Car and Driver:

"The new 100-kWh battery pack is not an upgrade that can be unlocked in the 85-kWh and 90-kWh cars, CEO Elon Musk emphasized, but a completely new pack. The CEO was quoted by multiple sources in a call with select Silicon Valley reporters as saying production numbers will be “quite low, because of the challenge of making such a complex pack.”"

Looks like Tesla only heard from a very low number of owners who want further range (and faster ludicrous speed) so it has responded with a very limited production.

When more 100kW batteries are available, they will find their way into S variants.

I don't know too many traveling owners who don't want more range. In fact, it's their #1 want, and will remain so for as long as a full charge in an 85 barely gets you 180 miles when there's a combination of headwinds, a generous speed limit, and any kind of elevation. In fact, pick any two.

Reactions: Eclectic
Real cooled seats use a peltier chip to cool (and heat) the air that is pumped through the seats.
I did not know there was such a thing as peltier cooled seats using the Peltier–Seebeck effect. Thanks for enlightening me. Makes so much more sense than a freon type loop. Q? is the main cabin also cooled using Peltier–Seebeck effect or does it use expanding refrigerant?

While US sites have been updated to show 100D, countries outside the US still only go to P90D - do we think this is US only?

My guess is they want to get the US production roll out and troubleshoot any post-production problems first before they will ship out of the US later.

May be it's because of the degree of difficulty to go from 90 to 100 kWh in the same pack form as Musk said: “We are quite close to theoretical limit,”

Would some one please explain how the statement below can be possible in real life?

"Musk said that meant a driver could now travel from San Francisco to Los Angeles in temperate weather without recharging."

Google Maps says the shortest route from SFO to LAX is 378 miles.

While the EPA rate is 315 miles.

That's 63 miles short.

In addition, you need to haul the additonal weight with the 100 kWh pack which should be heavier than the 90 one since they use the same kind of cell (same chemistry, same form...)

Would some one please explain how the statement below can be possible in real life?

"Musk said that meant a driver could now travel from San Francisco to Los Angeles in temperate weather without recharging."

That's 63 miles short.

In addition, you need to haul the additonal weight with the 100 kWh pack which should be heavier than the 90 one since they use the same kind of cell (same chemistry, same form...)
63 miles short? That's close enough right? LOL

• Funny
Reactions: Chopr147 and Tam

If you drive way below 70 mph, it would be possible to go that distance. A couple of Tesla owners have already gone over 400 miles on an 85 kWh battery.

Norwegian Drivers Set New Tesla Model S Distance Record: 450 Miles (Video)
Tesla 85D sets record: 550.3 mi on a single charge

Last edited:
OK 16.7% change for 11% more battery capacity. I really wonder where the 5.7% more efficiency came from because that is quite huge.
That would mean the 100D would have an EPA range of about 340 miles.

.....+ additional performance. The 0-60 performance of the P100D requires spending a million dollars to match it with a the few other cars on the planet that can do it.....like the Rimac...and even then there's no production car on the planet that can actually match it.

More cells in parallel means lower resistance. Not using thin aluminum bond wire fusible links means lower resistance. Lower resistance means increased efficiency. This is the new Model 3 pack architecture "prototype" pack but the gigafactory cells are made for cooling on one end and both pos neg on the other

Lower resistance only if drawing the same current from all parallel lines combined. If you draw proportionally more current, the IR is the same. Either way you're going to get more KW whether you add parallel lines or add more cells in series to the existing ones. In one case you get more current. In the other one you get more voltage.

I did not know there was such a thing as peltier cooled seats using the Peltier–Seebeck effect. Thanks for enlightening me. Makes so much more sense than a freon type loop. Q? is the main cabin also cooled using Peltier–Seebeck effect or does it use expanding refrigerant?
It's a conventional air conditioner. I think you will start seeing peltier AC units in the future though. I bought a small dorm sized refrigerator for my wife's office that is solid state (peltier) and it works very well. It's super quiet and only draws 83 watts. You can even power with with 12 volts (on a 10 amp fuse) for automotive use.