Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Product Announcement at noon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But, then, why is it "240 volts", "40 amps" and "9600 watts"? (The SI naming system isn't all that logical...)
That's a joke, right? Because the units for potential and current and power really are capitalized as V and A and W, respectively. They should also be capitalized when written out, like you did.

I jokingly told my wife it's time to start saving up for the P100DL due to it's super fast 0-60.
Her: "Can it do 0-60 in 2 seconds?"
Me: "ugh... no. No production car can, it's 2.5 seconds"
Her "Get back to me when it can do it in 2.0s"

I guess no P100DL for me...
I think that "0-60 in 2 seconds" will be expensive. So you better start saving now anyway - and now you almost has it pre-aproved by the Boss ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Max*
That's a joke, right? Because the units for potential and current and power really are capitalized as V and A and W, respectively. They should also be capitalized when written out, like you did.
No joke, you are mistaken. Standard usage is "volt", "ampere", "watt", "hertz", "ohm", "farad", "kelvin", "joule", "newton", "pascal", "tesla", and so forth. The symbols based on personal names capitalized, as HankLloydRight correctly pointed out.

SI derived units

No joke, you are mistaken. Standard usage is "volt", "ampere", "watt", "hertz", "ohm", "farad", "kelvin", "joule", "newton", "pascal", "tesla", and so forth. The symbols based on personal names capitalized, as HankLloydRight correctly pointed out.

SI derived units

I thought for sure you're off your rocker, I was going to have some cocky comment like "as an Electrical Engineer I should know..." but damn, after Googling around, you're right.

Learned something new.

One source, but they all pretty much say the same thing
http://www.davidbridgen.com/conv.htm said:
When a unit of measurement is named after someone, convention has it that the word is written entirely in lower case when talking about that unit, but the single letter abbreviation of that unit is written in upper case.

The unit of voltage is the volt, named after Volta, and abbreviated to V.

The unit of current is the ampere, named after Ampère, and abbreviated to A.

The unit of resistance is the ohm, named after Ohm, abbreviated in this case with the Greek letter Ω, pronounced omega, (not omeega).

Reactions: dgpcolorado
If they are on schedule, the M3 would be the fastest to be built. Yes it has been known for quite a while they were designing it. We're talking about a working concept to production though. M3, at best, should be 3.2s to not eat into the sales of MS performance series.
It would make no sense at all to make a car slower or lesser to keep the sales of a particular model from being undersold.

Businesses are in the business of making money. If the M3 outsells the MS, then it just does. The question is the profit margin of both cars and how many of either one will be sold.

I thought for sure you're off your rocker, I was going to have some cocky comment like "as an Electrical Engineer I should know..." but damn, after Googling around, you're right.

Learned something new.

One source, but they all pretty much say the same thing

Pretty soon the distance from Earth to Mars will be measured in Elons.

It would make no sense at all to make a car slower or lesser to keep the sales of a particular model from being undersold.

Businesses are in the business of making money. If the M3 outsells the MS, then it just does. The question is the profit margin of both cars and how many of either one will be sold.
Does it make sense to software limit other Model S performance but they do it anyway? There's no doubt the M3 will outsell the MS and that's unequivocal based on pre-order numbers.

Does it make sense to software limit other Model S performance but they do it anyway? There's no doubt the M3 will outsell the MS and that's unequivocal based on pre-order numbers.
Yes they do limit the Model S performance, HOWEVER the question is why. Why do they limit it on some versions? To sell upgrades. It has nothing at all to do with the sales of cars. It's the why of the question.....not whether they can limit it or not.