Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pushing ‘Cabin Camera Updates’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has reportedly enabled the interior camera in Model 3 and Model Y vehicles to monitor drivers when Autopilot is engaged.

Twitter user @WholeMarsBlog shared photos on Twitter of “Cabin Camera Updates” included in a new software release. The notes say the “cabin camera above the rearview mirror can now detect and alert driver inattentiveness while Autopilot is engaged.” 

Additionally, data collected from the camera is not saved or transmitted unless data sharing is enabled.

The feature comes after some criticism of the Autopilot self-driving feature being used irresponsibly. Several videos have been posted on social media of Tesla owners traveling in the backseat without a driver.

Tesla has previously monitored driver attentiveness through sensors in the steering wheel, however many owners have found ways around that safeguard.

The company has not offered any additional info about the cabin camera. It’s expected that the updated Model S and Model X will also receive interior cameras. However, it’s unclear if the cameras will be necessary for the company’s Full Self Driving package and how Tesla will handle FSD cars without cameras. 

I welcome the use of the cabin camera to detect driver alertness. But, I hope Tesla will eliminate the requirement to put pressure on the steering wheel every 16 to 40 seconds. I always drive with one or two hands on the steering wheel. Even with autopilot of FSD engaged, I continually scan the road ahead. This causes me to sometimes miss the alert to put pressure on the steering wheel. On my last trip in heavy traffic, the alerts turned from blue to a red screen. Oops. I was too engaged at actively scanning the traffic to see the alerts.

Reactions: timberlights
I recently got my 5th Red Wheel and FSD has been eliminated in my Model 3. Two questions...two were deserved, but three were not...who do I complain to? And has anyone heard when they will zero the count again?

I recently got my 5th Red Wheel and FSD has been eliminated in my Model 3. Two questions...two were deserved, but three were not...who do I complain to? And has anyone heard when they will zero the count again?
First question: complain here; there is no on else to complain to. But don't expect too much sympathy. Have you read the owner's manual? Second question: who knows?
Sounds like the old saw about people in prison: I'm not guilty!