Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ranks 2nd worst in Consumer reports reliability survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please do at least 30 seconds worth of research before posting things. The Ford Foundation is completely separate and independent from Ford Motor company. From their web site:
Yeah I did see that and also saw this:

Henry Ford III, The Director of Ford Motor Company is on the board of trustees. If you think Ford isn't going to have some influence (which is evident in their Mach-E review), I have a bridge to sell you.

Yeah I did see that and also saw this:

Henry Ford III, The Director of Ford Motor Company is on the board of trustees. If you think Ford isn't going to have some influence (which is evident in their Mach-E review), I have a bridge to sell you.

Not everything is a conspiracy, not everyone is a sadistic Machiavellian villain with a soul for sale for money. Anecdotal experiences are not better evidence than surveys, imperfect as they may be.

I get Tesla is cool and all, but the denial on this forum from seemingly intelligent folks is confounding.

I do not short companies. I am not in the business of destroying company values and causing jobs to disappear. I just analyse the world going forward.

Short-sellers don’t destroy value, they merely recognize that the value that the market is placing on a particular company doesn’t/will not exist. In some cases they even shine a light on shady/fraudulent business practices. And yes they profit from it in a market economy.

• Disagree
Reactions: SO16
Short-sellers don’t destroy value, they merely recognize that the value that the market is placing on a particular company doesn’t/will not exist. And yes they profit from it in a market economy.
Jim Chanos destroyed the value of TSLA for years by heavily shorting the stock and causing a downward pressure on the stock by selling on the open market naked shorted shares. This prevented TSLA from having interesting rounds of capital raise to expand. I will not short and will not encourage people to short GM because if they want to raison 5B off the public market to build a brand new battery plant, this would be favorable for the world and we would not benefit from preventing this to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: thesmokingman
Jim Chanos destroyed the value of TSLA for years by heavily shorting the stock and causing a downward pressure on the stock by selling on the open market naked shorted shares. This prevented TSLA from having interesting rounds of capital raise to expand. I will not shirt and will not encourage people to shirt GM because if they want to raison 5B off the public market to build a brand new battery plant, this would be favorable for the world and we would not benefit from preventing this to happen.
No, the market overall didn’t think the value you are mentioning existed. Jim Chanos doesn’t determine the intrinsic value of Tesla. If the value really was there, someone else would buy TSLA. Many people still think it’s overvalued. I myself am not too sure and that’s not the point.

So you won’t short GM because you think they maybe stay solvent and build battery factories? You just said they were going bankrupt?

No, the market overall didn’t think the value you are mentioning existed. Jim Chanos doesn’t determine the intrinsic value of Tesla. If the value really was there, someone else would buy TSLA. Many people still think it’s overvalued. I myself am not too sure and that’s not the point.

So you won’t short GM because you think they maybe stay solvent and build battery factories? You just said they were going bankrupt?
They are going bankrupt if they keep following the track they are currently following. However m, if they change track like Herbet Diess is doing with VW, they might surprise us down the road.

TSLA is not overvalued if you look at a 5 years forward DCF for a growth tech company. It is if you analyse it as a mature car company, which is not, it is overvalued. Your choice to choose

They are going bankrupt if they keep following the track they are currently following. However m, if they change track like Herbet Diess is doing with VW, they might surprise us down the road.

TSLA is not overvalued if you look at a 5 years forward DCF for a growth tech company. It is if you analyse it as a mature car company, which is not, it is overvalued. Your choice to choose

I haven’t done the DCF but growth should taper off. What volume/market share are we talking?

Not everything is a conspiracy, not everyone is a sadistic Machiavellian villain with a soul for sale for money. Anecdotal experiences are not better evidence than surveys, imperfect as they may be.

I get Tesla is cool and all, but the denial on this forum from seemingly intelligent folks is confounding.
I, for one, do not deny Tesla has problems, but you seem to have unwavering faith in CR. That despite the fact that they do not show their work, their numbers, and admit that whenever they don't "feel" like they have enough data, they just pull data from prior years and other models to pad the ratings for a current car (but would never share what they did and when they did it). For a company like Tesla that is changing constantly, why would you want the reliability data from the 2015 model S used to help you buy a 2022 model Y? And you absolutely cannot tell that they didn't do that. They don't share any methodology specifics for a given rating.

I, for one, do not deny Tesla has problems, but you seem to have unwavering faith in CR. That despite the fact that they do not show their work, their numbers, and admit that whenever they don't "feel" like they have enough data, they just pull data from prior years and other models to pad the ratings for a current car (but would never share what they did and when they did it). For a company like Tesla that is changing constantly, why would you want the reliability data from the 2015 model S used to help you buy a 2022 model Y? And you absolutely cannot tell that they didn't do that. They don't share any methodology specifics for a given rating.

No, I don’t have unwavering faith in CR. I just happen to believe it regarding Tesla. I find it confounding that Tesla has innovated so much and can make amazing vehicles and talks of all this automation yet can’t get basic things like paint, panel alignment, weatherstripping, quality control, material quality etc right. Things most manufacturers figured out years and some even decades ago. So I guess I’m talking more about initial quality, not even necessarily long term reliability!

Denial about what? Overall, Teslas are reliable cars, even with their problems. And I'll refer back to the warranty data posted already. Even if you were to take CR's surveys as gospel, they found no issues with the major aspects of the cars (battery, engine, driveline etc).

Also, given that this forum has about 180K members, the experiences posted here will be more valuable regarding Tesla than the cherrypicked and subjective conclusions drawn by publications like CR.

No, I don’t have unwavering faith in CR. I just happen to believe it regarding Tesla. I find it confounding that Tesla has innovated so much and can make amazing vehicles and talks of all this automation yet can’t get basic things like paint, panel alignment, weatherstripping, quality control, material quality etc right. Things most manufacturers figured out years and some even decades ago. So I guess I’m talking more about initial quality, not even necessarily long term reliability!

Ford still haven't figured how to prevent peeling paint or properly assemble the glass roof and windshield on the Mach-E. Now they're having axle issues requiring replacement and people are waiting weeks for parts. And they've been around 100+ years. There's room for improvement at Tesla, but Ford? What's your thoughts on them?

Last edited:
Denial about what? Overall, Teslas are reliable cars, even with their problems. And I'll refer back to the warranty data posted already. Even if you were to take CR's surveys as gospel, they found no issues with the major aspects of the cars (battery, engine, driveline etc).

Also, given that this forum has about 180K members, the experiences posted here will be more valuable regarding Tesla than the cherrypicked and subjective conclusions drawn by publications like CR.

Ford still haven't figured how to prevent peeling paint or properly assemble the glass roof and windshield on the Mach-E. Now they're having axle issues requiring replacement and people are waiting weeks for parts. And they've been around 100+ years. There's room for improvement at Tesla, but Ford? What's your thoughts on them?

When did I ever defend Ford? Tesla reliability is debatable, quality is objectively poor.

First, Bilk My Wallet (purchase), and then after the limited free routine maintenance runs out, Bust My Wallet.

Tell me about it. I used to have a 7 series that had a few issues after warranty expiration and the repairs were very expensive. But amazing quality and engineering. Totally worth it :)
Best to keep those cars for 4 - 6 years and then get a new one. Fortunately with the pace of progress, I tell myself getting a new vehicle every couple of years is good from a safety standpoint…