Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ranks 2nd worst in Consumer reports reliability survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tell me about it. I used to have a 7 series that had a few issues after warranty expiration and the repairs were very expensive. But amazing quality and engineering. Totally worth it :)
Best to keep those cars for 4 - 6 years and then get a new one. Fortunately with the pace of progress, I tell myself getting a new vehicle every couple of years is good from a safety standpoint…
What do you drive now?

What do you drive now?

I have deposits on the Cybertruck, Rivian R1S, and Lyriq. Let’s see which gets here first. I liked the BMW iX but I’m not blind yet ;) Basically, I want a midsize-ish SUV thing that’s both plush AND can tackle the worst shopping mall parking lot in the land. Model Y drives well but I think gen 1 interior is incomplete at best and needs a refresh like S and X did.

Until then, I drive a Lexus which I don’t like but Customer Service is excellent with a lot of nice little touches in keeping with a brand charging a premium over Toyota. At least it gets good mileage unlike the V8 7 series, fuel cost me half as much as the car!

If CU says Tesla's reliability rating is near the bottom of the list, I believe it

I gave up on CR because their methods do not work for me, not because I think they are lying. Specifically, issues have different levels of importance to me. Getting stranded would be a big problem. Huge repair bills just out of warranty would be a big issue. A software bug in the web browser that gets sorted out with OTA is not. A panel gap I only notice when I wash the car is not.

This is just me -- I don't expect others to share them exactly. But I do expect CR to have a scheme that lets its readers sort out what the issues are so that they can make their own judgements about severity and importance, and in that CR fails badly. I realize that CR has categories, but they do not come close to having the granularity and weighting I want.

One example: I find squeaks very annoying, but I am almost blind to panel gaps. Perhaps in ICE cars in decades past these issues were highly correlated, but today in the the Tesla they are not. CR lumps them together and leaves me clueless.

Second example: I don't use the in-car entertainment much. Tell me the radio interface is lousy -- I won't care. Tell me the hedgehog is buggy -- I won't care.

My other problem with CR is their consumer orientation. This is more subtle and mostly comes out with their road evaluations but it is obvious that the evaluation is geared towards Americans that are fat, sickly, stupid, lazy and entitled. To the extent that a reader does not match that profile, the conclusions get wonky.

Last edited:
I have deposits on the Cybertruck, Rivian R1S, and Lyriq. Let’s see which gets here first. I liked the BMW iX but I’m not blind yet ;) Basically, I want a midsize-ish SUV thing that’s both plush AND can tackle the worst shopping mall parking lot in the land. Model Y drives well but I think gen 1 interior is incomplete at best and needs a refresh like S and X did.

Until then, I drive a Lexus which I don’t like but Customer Service is excellent with a lot of nice little touches in keeping with a brand charging a premium over Toyota. At least it gets good mileage unlike the V8 7 series, fuel cost me half as much as the car!
I read the Rivian R1S deliveries should begin in January.

CR is a textbook example of how a company ages badly.

When it was developed, they had the very useful insight that small differences in quality and reliability apparent early on were magnified as the years passed. Their second useful insight was that auto companies tended to reflect their structural strengths and weaknesses across models (unless the cars were rebadged from another company.) Lastly, CR inserted incrementalism as a virtue into their scoring philosophy.

Tesla has turned these observations upside down, usually for the better, and sometimes for worse. Either way, CR is incapable of judging Tesla for sure; and to varying degrees other agile manufacturers.

Last edited:
I read the Rivian R1S deliveries should begin in January.

A company that has so far not delivered a single vehicle to a customer, that we have no idea how closely the specs will match the advertising claims, that we have no idea what the build quality or reliability or customer service will be like. In other words, a pig in a poke. A complete unknown. And that January date is just another promise from a company that has no track record as yet. They claim they will have a 5-star safety rating, but as of yet, there is no safety rating on the NHTSA web site.

Of course, if you need/want an electric pickup truck badly enough it may be worth taking a chance if it actually becomes available before Cybertruck. I would not expect Rivian to be more reliable than Tesla.

A company that has so far not delivered a single vehicle to a customer, that we have no idea how closely the specs will match the advertising claims, that we have no idea what the build quality or reliability or customer service will be like. In other words, a pig in a poke. A complete unknown. And that January date is just another promise from a company that has no track record as yet. They claim they will have a 5-star safety rating, but as of yet, there is no safety rating on the NHTSA web site.

Of course, if you need/want an electric pickup truck badly enough it may be worth taking a chance if it actually becomes available before Cybertruck. I would not expect Rivian to be more reliable than Tesla.
I agree, however the fact that it looks more like a truck than the Tesla offering might convince more people that it will more likely perform better. You remember, this was Teslas philosophy early on, their cars looked like cars therefore it was easier for people to cross over. The truck market might be completely separate to the saloon car market, so Mr Musk is taking a chance (in my view) by making it so futuristic

Reactions: stcptl
I

Well, time will tell. I wish them luck regardless. With that said, if I had to pick a truck, it would be the Cybertruck. And it's not only because it's a Tesla and I know what to expect, but because of the very thing that makes it controversial, the futuristic look.

Reactions: SO16
I agree, however the fact that it looks more like a truck than the Tesla offering might convince more people that it will more likely perform better. You remember, this was Teslas philosophy early on, their cars looked like cars therefore it was easier for people to cross over. The truck market might be completely separate to the saloon car market, so Mr Musk is taking a chance (in my view) by making it so futuristic

I agree. I personally don't care for the look of the Cybertruck. That's irrelevant because I'm not in the market for a truck. But I do agree that it will hurt sales.

As for Rivian, I wish them luck. We need more electric car companies. I just don't expect success from any start-up. Most new companies fail. And Tesla's success has spawned a lot of would-be copycats without the funding or the know-how to make a successful company. EVs are such an appealing market to get into that it will attract a lot of start-ups that will go nowhere. That's true in any new industry. Most businesses fail. But a good salesman with an appealing idea can convince a lot of people not to think critically about his proposal. It took Tesla a long time to reach the kind of specs that Rivian is claiming for its not-yet-produced first vehicle. To me, that's a red flag.

I've seen too many start-ups make big promises and then go bankrupt or just fade away.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I agree. I personally don't care for the look of the Cybertruck. That's irrelevant because I'm not in the market for a truck. But I do agree that it will hurt sales.

As for Rivian, I wish them luck. We need more electric car companies. I just don't expect success from any start-up. Most new companies fail. And Tesla's success has spawned a lot of would-be copycats without the funding or the know-how to make a successful company. EVs are such an appealing market to get into that it will attract a lot of start-ups that will go nowhere. That's true in any new industry. Most businesses fail. But a good salesman with an appealing idea can convince a lot of people not to think critically about his proposal. It took Tesla a long time to reach the kind of specs that Rivian is claiming for its not-yet-produced first vehicle. To me, that's a red flag.

I've seen too many start-ups make big promises and then go bankrupt or just fade away.
That’s why it’s useful to have the backing of Amazon’s deep pockets :)

Yeah I did see that and also saw this:

Henry Ford III, The Director of Ford Motor Company is on the board of trustees. If you think Ford isn't going to have some influence (which is evident in their Mach-E review), I have a bridge to sell you.
Right. So then how do you explain the fact that only 5 of 17 fords are recommended by CR, or that they rated the Ford Explorer reliability as much below average? Or how about the thorough trashing they gave the Ford Sync interface a few years ago?

Also, given that this forum has about 180K members, the experiences posted here will be more valuable regarding Tesla than the cherrypicked and subjective conclusions drawn by publications like CR.
And how objective are the members here? Have you looked to see how many posts here have problems? Have you compared this to Ford forums or Toyota forums? Since people generally come to a group like this to solve problems one may suspect that everyone has a problem with their Tesla. Of course one many make that conclusion from other forums as well, neither of which would be accurate. What matters is the relative rate of problems which is impossible to gauge from a forum.

Not everything is a conspiracy, not everyone is a sadistic Machiavellian villain with a soul for sale for money. Anecdotal experiences are not better evidence than surveys, imperfect as they may be.

I get Tesla is cool and all, but the denial on this forum from seemingly intelligent folks is confounding.
You are so right in this. (except for the seemingly intelligent part.) It's amazing how every negative report is part of a conspiracy or because people hate Tesla, but every positive report is accurate (and how every positive report on a competitor has to be because someone got paid off.)

Reactions: stcptl