Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Referral Prize Substitution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if you can substitute a referral prize for a reduction in car price? I read a post a while ago where someone gave up their Powerwall prize from the referral program, and instead got ~$3000 off a Model S. Anyone heard anything or done this themselves?

Does anyone know if you can substitute a referral prize for a reduction in car price? I read a post a while ago where someone gave up their Powerwall prize from the referral program, and instead got ~$3000 off a Model S. Anyone heard anything or done this themselves?
I really don't think that is possible. Especially if you're going to custom order your car.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
A powerwall is worth at least $10k, i would take that over a $3k cheaper Tesla.

To answer your question, unless Tesla cannot fulfill delivery of their prizes to you, there wont be any substitutions. how many people do we actually think can take advantage of that solar roof token prize? Not many, basically a useless prize.

Not I @HankLloydRight, you must be thinking of someone else. I didn't even have a Tesla until about 1 month into the 2nd referral program.

But at the same time, I do recall some people trading prizes for $ towards service, merch, or a new car. I haven't seen any mentioned recently of this happening though.

/edit. Wasn't the first few referral programs just credits anyway, that you could use for anything like service work, CHAdeMo adaptors, etc?

A powerwall is worth at least $10k, i would take that over a $3k cheaper Tesla.

To answer your question, unless Tesla cannot fulfill delivery of their prizes to you, there wont be any substitutions. how many people do we actually think can take advantage of that solar roof token prize? Not many, basically a useless prize.
Totally agree which is why I am happy to have just got the toy car which I am giving to charity. I dont even want the wheels tbh but a powerwall would be good but not going to get 5 referrals:-(

Yes, the red, signed referral prize PW2s. PM me if you're interested, although shipping to CA is going to be very expensive as they are 270 pounds each! I may be able to divert delivery when Tesla starts delivering these, but there are no assurances about that. It kinda worked with the Arachnid wheels, but not perfectly.

Yes, the red, signed referral prize PW2s. PM me if you're interested, although shipping to CA is going to be very expensive as they are 270 pounds each! I may be able to divert delivery when Tesla starts delivering these, but there are no assurances about that. It kinda worked with the Arachnid wheels, but not perfectly.

Tesla gave me $3500 each for the PW1s they failed to deliver from the 2015 referral programs. Currently, I am owed 3 red PW2s and I have little hope Tesla will deliver them. I asked for status a couple weeks back with no response.

I would be reluctant to sell one as Tesla has failed to deliver so consistently.

Tesla gave me $3500 each for the PW1s they failed to deliver from the 2015 referral programs. Currently, I am owed 3 red PW2s and I have little hope Tesla will deliver them. I asked for status a couple weeks back with no response.

I would be reluctant to sell one as Tesla has failed to deliver so consistently.

I'm sure they'll deliver this time -- it's way too publicized. In 2015, not many people qualified for the PW, and I'm not sure they even made that many before redesigning for the PW2.

Reactions: dragonxt
@HankLloydRight how did you go about selling your Powerwalls? I'm really looking to offload ours that we're going to get, just don't know the best way!

I just posted a message here, and an interested party emailed me back. He placed a $1000 deposit on each (two), and I then told Tesla to ship them to his location in the Referral surveys that were sent out. When they are actually delivered (hopefully soon!), he'll send me the balance.

How do you handle payments? Check? And "trust" in general? (As in, what would you do if the buyer didn't pay the $8000?) I was just awarded a PW2 but I'm thinking of listing on ebay despite the fees because of trust issues.