Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Registered My Model X to Themselves!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model X June 2019. After 3 months of waiting for my license plates I called up tesla costa mesa and they said they made a mistake and registered the car over to tesla and not me. They gave me a temporary permit to operate. Well it's been about 8 months now with no plates and my temporary permit expired. Tesla gave me a loaner to drive until this is solved. Every time I ask them the status they would say it's almost done, just waiting on the DMV. My question is since the car is registered under tesla can I return to car back to them and get my money back? thanks.

What a cluster. I don't know about giving them their car back - but I'd want to be sure I wasn't the second owner for titling purposes.

This is getting into lawyer territory. I would gather all your documents and bank records proving you purchased the vehicle and have them serve up Tesla. That should get the problem fixed pretty quickly, but will also set you back some cash.

As other posters mentioned, now that you're in this edge case scenario you are just going to be bounced around from person to person. I would not expect Tesla to voluntarily help you on this.

What does DMV say? I would make an appointment (yeah I know PITA) and take your paperwork in with you and see where things stand. I have no doubt Tesla will fix the paperwork but given it's already been 8 months according to you, I would look to push it further along. You don't want to get in an accident or find yourself out of a tax credit and have the govt say you falsely filed for one and have a bigger magilla to deal with. I'd stay "nice" but firm with Tesla and express your concerns over getting this corrected asap. Likely they don't know how best to remedy and it's getting passed between departments. Or DMV really is unsure how to correct the paperwork. Could see either or both being true.

Reactions: Hebert
According to the manager at costa mesa, the DMV record is updated and we're just waiting on the plates and registration to be sent over to me. This was 1 1/2 wks ago. I just texted him just now and he will get me an update. The MX is paid off. Currently they gave me a MS loaner to drive while waiting for this to be fixed.

Reactions: SMAlset
well you can look at the bright side..... free charging with the S i assume because your X will have that right? Also you will get full warranty from when you pick it up so thats cool, although you should check to make sure you have the "old" x warranty thats unlimited miles not the updated 150k miles when they transfer it to you.

Reactions: mswlogo
According to the manager at costa mesa, the DMV record is updated and we're just waiting on the plates and registration to be sent over to me. This was 1 1/2 wks ago. I just texted him just now and he will get me an update. The MX is paid off. Currently they gave me a MS loaner to drive while waiting for this to be fixed.

What a huge waste of resources. Sad.