Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases Dashcam Viewer software update, allows TeslaCam, Sentry Mode viewing in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes me reconsider what kind of additional storage I'm adding, may simply go with an SSD now. I almost bought a card/reader combo yesterday then read this. Now I just have to click the buy button on the SSD I had as a save until later.

Makes me reconsider what kind of additional storage I'm adding, may simply go with an SSD now. I almost bought a card/reader combo yesterday then read this. Now I just have to click the buy button on the SSD I had as a save until later.
haha, yeah, i am actually thinking about that, but even 500 gig is kind of overkill i think. My 128 right now is about 10 hours of footage and i think that's more than enough. Only advantage I can think of is with a SSD, the recording will be more stable since I do get some recording error even with my high endurance SD card.

Reactions: Scott7
Very cool. I believe that software update also includes stop sign and traffic light recognition (on the screen, but not city street autopilot). Any idea when we’re likely to receive 2020.12.5? I’m still on 2019.5.10.3
It already can recognize traffic light, stop signs in lox street with hardware 3.0. The new update is supposed to stop the car automatically at traffic light and stop sign.

Has anyone else had an issue getting the dashcam viewer to appear? I'm on 2020.12.5.8 (updated today) in my Y, with FSD.
If I click the icon at the top, it just records the footage, it doesn't show a popup menu.
The Model Y is still on the 2020.5 branch of updates, while the dash cam viewer was released in 2020.12.6. It will take a few more weeks (hopefully sooner) for them to move the Model Y into the main software branch with the rest of their models. Right now the 2020.5.X updates are just small bug fixes (i.e. HVAC sync, etc.) but not adding new features.

FYI - The name of the updates tell you when they are released - (year).(week). So 2020.5 is a late Jan / early February software release/code, while the current 'main' version is based on mid-March.

The Model Y is still on the 2020.5 branch of updates, while the dash cam viewer was released in 2020.12.6. It will take a few more weeks (hopefully sooner) for them to move the Model Y into the main software branch with the rest of their models. Right now the 2020.5.X updates are just small bug fixes (i.e. HVAC sync, etc.) but not adding new features.

FYI - The name of the updates tell you when they are released - (year).(week). So 2020.5 is a late Jan / early February software release/code, while the current 'main' version is based on mid-March.

They’re not still in the 2020.5 branches if 2020.12 is already pushed. Scroll up and read the previous comment to mine.

They’re not still in the 2020.5 branches if 2020.12 is already pushed. Scroll up and read the previous comment to mine.
According to the firmware trackers, all Model Ys are currently using some version of 2020.5 code. Model 3/S/X primarily have the 2020.12 versions (with the latest early access version being "2020.12.5.6" from Thursday). I believe the user mistyped and is referencing the "2020.5.10.8" update that is now being pushed out to Model Y. If he did get 2020.12.5.8, then maybe he has an early access vehicle and should be filling out a bug report and not posting here, and I would stand corrected.

That's all great but I have yet to get my MY to recognize my memory card. I was careful to use a correct card, formatted per specs and it still doesn't know that it's even there. Interestingly, Sentry Mode works just fine without a memory card although nothing ever gets saved.

That's all great but I have yet to get my MY to recognize my memory card. I was careful to use a correct card, formatted per specs and it still doesn't know that it's even there. Interestingly, Sentry Mode works just fine without a memory card although nothing ever gets saved.
Sentry Mode will always work, with or without a memory card. Think of it as an enhanced security system. It let intruder to know the car is protected and turn on loud music if it is being broken into.