Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removes Full Self-Driving (FSD) option from Design Studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Capping their retrofit-expenditure ref. Elon's twitter-promise... (Free retrofit if you buy FSD)

But seriously - "Was causing too much confusion" - what confusion? And why 2 years in?

Did Tesla just kill FSD as a product?

2kgi3k.jpg

Last edited:
I still have the option to add it to my model S in my Tesla account. I'm guessing others are correct in that this is a way to mitigate costs of "free" hardware upgrades for those that purchased FSD early. Elon has said $5K for the upgrade (and that's what my account shows currently). Imagine for a moment that they did a cost breakdown on AP3 hardware + labor and the price came out much closer to $5K than $3K (which is what people who preordered paid). Makes a lot of sense to nuke that pre-paid option and cut your losses of $2K/car when everyone wants to upgrade all at once.

• Informative
Reactions: strangecosmos
So my Tesla account says $5000 to upgrade to FSD as well. I purchased my Model S in October of 2017, and at that time the FSD was $3000 at the time of purchase or $4000 later. I don't see how they can now go back and raise the price of FSD (if it ever actually comes) for those of us that purchased the car thinking it would be $4000 later. They told all of us that we could order for $4000 later, and going back on that seems very dishonest.

• Informative
Reactions: strangecosmos
When Tesla put in writing on the website and the sales page some variation of “$3000 now or $4000 later” that sure seems like an agreement made at the time of sale. At a minimum it seems like false advertising. They literally said we could all pay $4000 later to get FSD. Whether that is legally enforceable, I don’t know. But from a customer service standpoint this isn’t something that will cultivate good will.

Here’s an example of a company doing it right:

Two days ago I flew JetBlue, but between the time I ordered the tickets and actually flew, the company raised their baggage fees by a few dollars. However, they grandfathered everyone who had booked their travel so that we fell under the new pricing scheme (I didn’t pay for baggage up front). I didn’t have a contract that said the baggage fees were going to be X dollars, but they honored the price of baggage that was on the website at the time of sale. Could they have legally charged me more for the baggage? Possibly, but I think they did the right thing.

That's the whole reason I didn't pre-order FSD. I'm willing to pay $10K, maybe even $15K for actual, real full self driving but I want to wait and see if that's actually a thing they can deliver. I'm gambling that FSD WILL happen, but likely after a point (post 2020 refresh maybe?) at which there are enough reasons to compel me to upgrade to a newer car anyhow.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
When Tesla put in writing on the website and the sales page some variation of “$3000 now or $4000 later” that sure seems like an agreement made at the time of sale. At a minimum it seems like false advertising. They literally said we could all pay $4000 later to get FSD. Whether that is legally enforceable, I don’t know. But from a customer service standpoint this isn’t something that will cultivate good will.

It's not legally enforceable and it is not great for good will but it's the way they are going.