Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removing transferable supercharging from existing owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a car that was sold new in Florida (2016 P90D) then traded in at a non-Tesla dealer, sold at auction to a used car dealer who put it on their lot and sold it to a private party that drove it for a short period, went broke and sold it to me. Through all that, the car still has free unlimited supercharging. I’ve never had to talk to anyone about it - it’s just been there.

I have a car that was sold new in Florida (2016 P90D) then traded in at a non-Tesla dealer, sold at auction to a used car dealer who put it on their lot and sold it to a private party that drove it for a short period, went broke and sold it to me. Through all that, the car still has free unlimited supercharging. I’ve never had to talk to anyone about it - it’s just been there.
That’s the result of Tesla’s incompetence/inconsistency.
I bought a model 3 SR+ in April 2019, always supercharged it since I live 3 miles from a supercharger, never once got charged
Still have Tesla wall connector sitting in box, anybody in Atlanta area wants to buy it cheap, DM me.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Was he the original owner, or just the owner that sold it to the dealer?

Because if the car was traded-in to Tesla and then re-sold the transferrable FUSC could have been turned into non-transferrable FUSC.

I have no problem with Tesla removing FUSC from cars that had it if it's Tesla that takes possession and resells it, but as you know, because you've participated in the other threads, Tesla removes FUSC from cars that are auctioned or sold by third party dealers as soon as the title information reaches them from the various state DMVs.

This should be illegal and I can't believe Tesla can get away with doing this in the cases where the car never comes back into their possession.

but as you know, because you've participated in the other threads, Tesla removes FUSC from cars that are auctioned or sold by third party dealers as soon as the title information reaches them from the various state DMVs.

I am not aware of FUSC being removed from any vehicle that didn't pass back through Tesla's ownership. (Though it seems like this thread might be an example.)

I am not aware of FUSC being removed from any vehicle that didn't pass back through Tesla's ownership. (Though it seems like this thread might be an example.)
I've seen it mentioned before and in almost every case it was a 3rd party dealership sell with some being acquire from auction and some from trade-in. This is why I've been telling people for almost a year now that if FUSC is important to you, private party is the only sure-fire way. Even then, some are having it removed when the car changes Tesla account and having to fight to get it added back. Clearly Tesla is doing all they can to remove it from ALL cars and making those who rightfully own it fight to get it back knowing that some simply won't know any better or won't bother. Pretty unethical on Tesla's part but the apologists will all make up excuses to explain why it's acceptable. Even for them though, this one is pretty obvious. I can't wait for other options.

So which do you disagree with?

1) Tesla shouldn't be able to remove FUSC on cars they never re-possessed
2) That Tesla has in fact been removing FUSC on cars that were sold with it when passing through auction or third party dealer WITHOUT coming into Tesla's possession?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
@Showb1zz stated he bought it from a dealer and the car was still assigned to the original owner Tesla account, not Tesla. Let's ask to be sure, @Showb1zz, does Tesla appear as an owner of the car any time after the original sale?

I bought the car from a dealer who claimed that the original owner just sold the car to them. When I got in the car it had the previous owners name for the car, his home and work address, and all locations from navigation history.

I when I test drove the car, the first thing I did was drive to a SuperCharger and charge the car. I was not asked for a CC, the car just charged and I figured that it was free. After I bought the car I charged the car a dozen times or so at various superchargers with no issue.

It wasn't until after the car was transferred to me that I was required to pay. I contacted Tesla CS and they told me that the previous owner never "activated' the FUSC.

Once I connected with the previous owner he told me that he had free sc and that he wasn't charged from the times that I used the SC between when I had the car and it was transferred to my Tesla account.