Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Replacing Gen 1 UMC with Gen 2 UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to make sure they weren’t being phased for a reason that would discourage me from buying one. Like spontaneously causing a fire or battery degradation...

Definitely not. They replaced the UMC after the first year of production. After that the UMC has basically not changed in 3 years. Thousands of people are using their UMC daily and no issues.

Definitely not. They replaced the UMC after the first year of production. After that the UMC has basically not changed in 3 years. Thousands of people are using their UMC daily and no issues.
I just got a call from the Austin Service Center a few minutes ago saying they were going to bring me a Gen 2 charger (32A). I asked him what was going to happen to my Gen 1 UMC (40A). He said that they were going to return it to Tesla and I told him that I would not allow that to happen.

Has anyone else gotten a call from Tesla to replace your good working Gen 1 UMC charger?
Read the OP’s first post.
Raises some red flags.

As somebody who has purchased close to 1000 of the Tesla GEN1 UMC, I can offer that they have a horrific failure rate for modern electronics. I have boxes full of failed GEN1 units. Maybe I will sell boxes of smoked UMCs on eBay some day.

While I can’t say the GEN2 is perfect (I already have one GEN2 failure, so I’ll be hacking that unit open), they certainly addressed many of the failings of the GEN1:

1) GEN1 had no thermal monitoring in the wall plug end; GEN2 does
2) GEN1 would melt its UMC plug receptacle; GEN2 is well designed
3) GEN1 didn’t fit flat on the wall; GEN2 has well designed 90 degree plugs that fit flush on the wall
4) GEN1 didn’t have vehicle side temperature monitoring until the very end; GEN2 does
5) GEN1 failed internally, and they potted the entire assembly during manufacture; GEN2... don’t know yet

As to the maximum of 40a versus 32a, that’s a toss up. I’m not really sure why they did that, however we know they were limited to 32 amps in Canada. Probably just to make them all common? I’m sure the failure rate goes WAY down at the lower power setting.

Read the OP’s first post.
Raises some red flags.

Yes I did. It seems an exception. I have not heard from anyone one else getting a call from Tesla to replace the UMC. Maybe the logs from his car say there is a problem with the UMC and since Tesla needs to replace it but only has the new ones that’s what they do. If there was a general issue with the old 40 Amp UMC we would hear a lot of people post about it.

As somebody who has purchased close to 1000 of the Tesla GEN1 UMC, I can offer that they have a horrific failure rate for modern electronics. I have boxes full of failed GEN1 units. Maybe I will sell boxes of smoked UMCs on eBay some day.

While I can’t say the GEN2 is perfect (I already have one GEN2 failure, so I’ll be hacking that unit open), they certainly addressed many of the failings of the GEN1:

3) GEN1 didn’t fit flat on the wall; GEN2 has well designed 90 degree plugs that fit flush on the wall
4) GEN1 didn’t have vehicle side temperature monitoring until the very end; GEN2 does
5) GEN1 failed internally, and they potted the entire assembly during manufacture; GEN2... don’t know yet

As to the maximum of 40a versus 32a, that’s a toss up. I’m not really sure why they did that, however we know they were limited to 32 amps in Canada. Probably just to make them all common? I’m sure the failure rate goes WAY down at the lower power setting.
I think it is well known that the UMC did get hotter at 40A. In general 30-32A has become the de-facto standard for level 2 anyway. Think of old RV park circuit breakers for example.

Thanks,
So this looks like a gen2 style 40AMP Charger with a dedicated 14/50 plug.
What’s your evaluation of this? GEN2 benefits beyond flat plug?
Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector
89ED59DC-56E3-4E26-B8D2-265609D630A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Curious to see what actually happened and why they seem to think you need a new one.
I was the one that started this thread because the SC call me and told me that they were going to bring out a Gen 2 UMC to replace my Gen 1 UMC. They may have gotten confused because they ordered a replacement driver seat fo me. I went in today to get the seat replaced and asked them about it, and they were not aware why they called me about the Gen 2 UMC.

I asked them if there was a recall on the Gen 1 UMCs and they said no. I don't think that there is any additional news on this subjec.

Isn't that funny! One misunderstanding caused this whole conspiracy about how bad the old UMC is, a danger and what not :)

The melting adapters were replaced almost 2 years ago and the issue is fixed. The UMCs work just fine. Don't leave them outside when it's wet or rains. It will go bad! It won't melt, it won't blow up. Thousands of people us it every day without problems.Mine has charged my car at 40 Amps every day for years. Never a problem, never got hot, never caused issues.

The new gen 2 was most probably reduced to 32 Amps to save cost and make the wall connector a better alternative. My Models has a 40 Amp charger. NEMA 14-50 is designed to deliver 40 Amp continuously. The charger in my car is most efficient at 40 Amps. There is no reason or advantage to switch down to 32 Amp.

Reactions: bmah
Isn't that funny! One misunderstanding caused this whole conspiracy about how bad the old UMC is, a danger and what not :)

The melting adapters were replaced almost 2 years ago and the issue is fixed. The UMCs work just fine. Don't leave them outside when it's wet or rains. It will go bad! It won't melt, it won't blow up. Thousands of people us it every day without problems.Mine has charged my car at 40 Amps every day for years. Never a problem, never got hot, never caused issues.

The new gen 2 was most probably reduced to 32 Amps to save cost and make the wall connector a better alternative. My Models has a 40 Amp charger. NEMA 14-50 is designed to deliver 40 Amp continuously. The charger in my car is most efficient at 40 Amps. There is no reason or advantage to switch down to 32 Amp.

While your singular experience is great, sadly, the newer wall plugs can still melt at the plug.

Again, I’ve handled more than one.