Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it happened on occasion I might buy your excuse, but it’s an incredibly regular occurrence. To the point that I have to stop using cruise control because of the wipers. It also happens on cloudy days where there is no glare or direct sunlight to suddenly cause glare. On several occasions when this has happened I’ve looked and confirmed that the glass in front of the camera is clear. Further more, when I resume my trip, cruise control or FSD is perfectly content with the glass that it was obsessed with cleaning just a few minutes prior.
Looking at it does not work typically if it is residue. I've seen plenty of cases in the forums where people thought it was clean and then after cleaning the camera area thoroughly, it solved the issue. There's also cases where there is residue/haze inside the housing.
The examples of it not activating were not unevenly distributed road spray - they were rain that very evenly distributes across the windshield To the point that I, as a human using the entire windshield was uncomfortable with the poor view.
I'm not saying that is the only cause of wipers activating or not that is inconsistent with driver desires, just saying that is one example of an obvious cause that I observed myself.

I did not say that only the front camera behind the windshield needs wiping.

What I actually said, was that Tesla has no choice but to provide cleaning for the windshield cameras, and that the sensing and decision-making for said cleaning must be driven from the camera view.
Obviously if "Tesla has no choice but to provide cleaning for the windshield cameras" that means the part of the windshield through which the camera is looking out needs wiping. We can argue whether wiping the glass in front of the camera, or its lens, or perhaps the actual semiconductor sensor constitutes "wiping the camera" but for the purposes of this discussion it's a distinction without a difference.

Ok, so why does only the front camera behind the windshield need wiping?
As another mentioned, it's not necessarily the only camera that might need wiping, but the front camera is the primary camera for AP/FSD. There's been tests done that AP/FSD can function even with all other cameras covered, but the primary camera must be active for it to work at all. This makes sense given how the system evolved from AP1 (which only had one camera in the front).

The other detail is that side cameras can be designed taking advantage of the aerodynamics to keep the camera clear. We can't see if that is the case for the pillar cameras, but it appears to be the case for the fender cameras. Theoretically, this should have been possible with the rear camera too (if Tesla had a shroud over it perhaps with hydrophobic coating), but Tesla failed to do so.

You can see this to be the case also for the Gen 5 Waymo. The top roof cameras have wipers, but the other lower cameras that face the side or rear do not. Instead they are shaped in a way that makes it unlikely for water to make its way in, and according to other articles, Waymo also uses hydrophobic coatings on some of them.
Sensing Breakdown: Waymo Jaguar I-Pace RoboTaxi. LiDAR, radar, cameras, ultrasonic, oh my!

BTW, I do not see a separate window for a rain sensor for the roof cameras, so I suspect Waymo is doing a similar vision NN to detect rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHCCAZ
Obviously if "Tesla has no choice but to provide cleaning for the windshield cameras" that means the part of the windshield through which the camera is looking out needs wiping. We can argue whether wiping the glass in front of the camera, or its lens, or perhaps the actual semiconductor sensor constitutes "wiping the camera" but for the purposes of this discussion it's a distinction without a difference.
I swear I'm honestly not sure what you're getting at. The point of my response had nothing to do with a picky criticism of that exact wording - it's just that it was your own wording. Putting it differently, I meant Tesla has no choice but to clear away the occlusions that the camera sees.

Again for everyone: I explained why Tesla doesn't have an IR sensor instead.(and why it makes sense that the in-place AI image processing chain would drive the wiping decision). In fact, I also explained why the camera doesn't see things the way the human driver does - actually an argument for having multiple sensors. Not once did I lobby against having an IR sensor also, other than noting it could lead to overly aggressive wiping, which some people hate.

Maybe the problem is that you are reading the first couple of sentences of a post, categorizing the the author's "side" as not yours, and then launching.

Whatever. Would it make you feel better if I were to list some of the things that disappoint me about Tesla's hardware suite? We probably agree on more than you think, but it seems like people would rather read long threads filled with repetitive grumbling, rather than think about the actual problem.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I can't speak of other cars, but my BMW 5 series has the IR source-sensor pair located just a hair below where the front camera unit is located in Teslas.
This works because the traditional rain sensors are actively sending IR out and measure the return. The IR spreads across a large area of the windshield so a tiny emitter/sensor can detect water on almost any part of the windshield.

I can't speak of other cars, but my BMW 5 series has the IR source-sensor pair located just a hair below where the front camera unit is located in Teslas.
Yes, I made that observation based on BMW sensors. They are slightly lower than where Tesla puts their cameras (thus the eye vs nose analogy I put). As mentioned up thread, this has advantages to the rain sensor for their intended purpose of keeping the driver's view clear, as it is closer to head level. However, the point is wherever it is, it'll be separate from the camera sensor and doesn't work like the human eyes analogy where detection is on the eyeball itself (while the camera NN would be closer to that eyelash analogy).

Example here rain sensor is lower than the camera in a BMW:
attachment.php

There are other cars that have them next to each other. For example Hondas.
1675650825247.jpeg

I googled how people like the rain sensing in Hondas with that configuration, and guess what, you see a lot of similar complaints to the Tesla's rain sensors (a ton of people complaining about it wiping like mad in light mist):
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/is-anybody-happy-with-rain-sensing.16025/
Seems like most people just ended up using Rain-X.

So rain sensors are not the nirvana people seem to be presenting them as.

Last edited:
The issue, in considering the IR sensor's more human-friendly result, is not so much the location on the windshield. It mostly has to do with the way the IR sensor actually works: the IR light path is oblique, i.e. shallow to the windshield. This accomplishes several things. Optically, it maximizes the scattering or reflective glare property of moisture against the windshield surface. (You can note that the best way to see dirt and film on your windshield is to park the car generally facing, but somewhat angled, to a low rising or setting sun. Same principle.) Geometrically, the oblique angle looking for reflections from emitters on one side of the assembly, across a bit of the glass surface to receivers on the other side of the assembly, allows a relatively small module to maximize the area coverage as well as the glare angles.

So, the purpose-built IR moisture sensor wants to maximize an oblique glare effect . Country to this, the forward-vlision camera wants to minimize glare from the sun or from nighttime headlights and streetlights because it needs to see as well as possible.

Back to the positioning on the windshield: I think the main effect of different locations is probably related to airflow at speed, as others have noted. Arguably the best place for the sensor is right in front of the driver, but this is obviously a non-starter. The high center location is used traditionally for the rear view mirror and for a lot of things these days, so it's a convenient grouping and also accessible to existing wiring harnesses.

This works because the traditional rain sensors are actively sending IR out and measure the return. The IR spreads across a large area of the windshield so a tiny emitter/sensor can detect water on almost any part of the windshield.
This not how the BMW IR sensor works. It is mounted within a cutout and it can only sense backscatter of IR within the cutout.

BTW, I do not see a separate window for a rain sensor for the roof cameras, so I suspect Waymo is doing a similar vision NN to detect rain.
That is a fine solution for a dedicated camera wiper. The issue is that the windshield visibility is shared between 2 clients - the camera, and the human driver inside. This means both clients' needs need to be considered when deciding how to clean it. Just because camera can still see, doesn't mean the human can, so if you make the wiper algorithm only trigger on when the camera cannot see, it's equally bad as if you made it just for the human and ignore the camera needs.

That is a fine solution for a dedicated camera wiper. The issue is that the windshield visibility is shared between 2 clients - the camera, and the human driver inside. This means both clients' needs need to be considered when deciding how to clean it. Just because camera can still see, doesn't mean the human can, so if you make the wiper algorithm only trigger on when the camera cannot see, it's equally bad as if you made it just for the human and ignore the camera needs.
I have been making this point the whole time, the NN solution is optimized for the camera's view, while rain sensors are traditionally optimized for the human (their position and design is for this purpose). I think the person you are responding previously to is just saying that even with a rain sensor, Tesla would still very likely have need the rain sensing NN for the camera (so given that, they decided to drop the rain sensor).

That said, even given the NN solution, there are things Tesla can do to optimize it for humans (which they haven't). As mentioned sensitivity settings (activation and intensity) and heuristics to favor lower part of windshield (especially when car isn't even in AP mode).

Reactions: DrGriz
I think the person you are responding previously to is just saying that even with a rain sensor, Tesla would still very likely have need the rain sensing NN for the camera (so given that, they decided to drop the rain sensor).
That is the decision I've been trying to argue as ludicrous. The opposite would be drop NN in lieu of an IR sensor - just as bad. There are two separate needs, Tesla has no excuse to just fulfilling one, unless of course Tesla owners are just seen as negative priced test drivers for the development of Tesla autonomous driving technology, then sure, it makes sense to drop any luxuries for humans (like automatic wipers) as long as the windshield if clean enough for the camera.

As another mentioned, it's not necessarily the only camera that might need wiping, but the front camera is the primary camera for AP/FSD. There's been tests done that AP/FSD can function even with all other cameras covered, but the primary camera must be active for it to work at all. This makes sense given how the system evolved from AP1 (which only had one camera in the front).

The other detail is that side cameras can be designed taking advantage of the aerodynamics to keep the camera clear. We can't see if that is the case for the pillar cameras, but it appears to be the case for the fender cameras. Theoretically, this should have been possible with the rear camera too (if Tesla had a shroud over it perhaps with hydrophobic coating), but Tesla failed to do so.

You can see this to be the case also for the Gen 5 Waymo. The top roof cameras have wipers, but the other lower cameras that face the side or rear do not. Instead they are shaped in a way that makes it unlikely for water to make its way in, and according to other articles, Waymo also uses hydrophobic coatings on some of them.
Sensing Breakdown: Waymo Jaguar I-Pace RoboTaxi. LiDAR, radar, cameras, ultrasonic, oh my!

Also, the front camera gets a direct hit where as the B puller cameras and reverse side cameras do not. The other practical side is there’s a wiper for the front camera.

I’ve had numerous (dozens+) cases where my windshield is perfectly clear, there has been no moisture or other debris and indeed I’m not even following a car when suddenly, 10 minutes into the drive the wipers come on. No rhyme or reason, just because.
This never happened to me until, after 60K miles, I replaced the wipers. Now it happens a few times per month.

New wipers: Bosch Pure Vision.

Is this the USS thread or the windshield wipers thread?

Anyway, if parts shortages were really the reason for the removal of the USS, I’d really like it if Tesla provided an upgrade path to put them back in, even if it’s at a cost. I can’t imagine this would be very difficult since the underlying hardware is still the same?

Is this the USS thread or the windshield wipers thread?

Anyway, if parts shortages were really the reason for the removal of the USS, I’d really like it if Tesla provided an upgrade path to put them back in, even if it’s at a cost. I can’t imagine this would be very difficult since the underlying hardware is still the same?
You need to drill holes in your bumpers and add the holders back (which are plastic welded to the bumpers), plus the wiring harness is probably gone. Just removing the bumpers is a whole ordeal.

It's not impossible (anything is possible), but it's a ton of work and may involve nonstandard procedures (like plastic weld), and/or be very expensive (replacing both bumpers and all the wiring can't be cheap).

Last edited:
You need to drill holes in your bumpers and add the holders back (which are plastic welded to the bumpers), plus the wiring harness is probably gone. Just removing the bumpers is a whole ordeal.

It's not impossible (anything is possible), but it's a ton of work and may involve nonstandard procedures (like plastic weld), and/or be very expensive (replacing both bumpers and all the wiring can't be cheap).
That’s what makes me think ’supply issues’ is not the issue. (FWIW I’ve only seen that posited here, never from any official source or from anyone with access to a source.)

If the sensors were the issue it would be easy enough to ship the cars with the wiring harnesses already in place. They could even have the holes punched in the bumpers covered with temporary plugs. Removing bumpers isn’t that difficult and they could easily retrofit the sensors once available. If they wanted to.