TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Revenue Expected to Exceed Guidance by 20% in Fourth Quarter

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Andrew, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

This press release just landed in my inbox. Guess that explains the ~10% rise in TSLA today!

2. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

I think they should calm down on declaring their cold weather accolades until they fix the Norwegian charging issues. Some humility is called for.

3. uselesslogin

uselesslogin Enthusiast

Yes it does...

4. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

What are those?

- - - Updated - - -

[Nearly] 6900 vehicles sold & delivered!! Wow. What a huge quarter. Not a year ago 5,000 would have been on target.

Profits went unmentioned :) Presumably churning everything back in the biz; stores, service centers, Supercharger rollout etc

5. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#6 AnOutsider, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    I always cringe when they tote this. I hope the writer knocked on several types of wood.

7. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

Right. Sadly, there will be a death someday. Let's not set this up to be a 20% one day price drop. (because it will still be a very safe car)

8. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Does anyone track the Miles Driven/Death for each automobile or manufacturer? 200Million miles isn't all that much in the scheme of things, and I wonder what BMWs or Mercedes or Volvo's numbers are, at least for cars made in the last 5 years. Anyone got a source?

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, it's odd because Elon was much more precise at Teslive. He said, something like "Statistically we can't expect this to always remain true, but to the best of my knowledge right now we've never had a fatality or permanent injury in a Tesla."

Inevitably someone will eventually be killed or maimed. For all I know it might take something ridiculous like a tanker truck rolling over the car, but it will happen.

10. 772

772 Member

Haven't gotten this in my inbox yet... I'm still waiting :crying:

11. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

I think I looked at some point and the going rate is 8 people dead per 1B km driven. So at 200M miles (i.e. 320M km) we should have ~3 dead. That's less than one full car. So right now it's the same statistics game as it was with the highway f***s. Too low number of expected events to make a statistically viable claim either way. But the fact that there have been no serious injuries is I think FAR more telling statistical item as I would expect those to be order(s) of magnitude more frequent than deaths.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

#12 Robert.Boston, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    This is dated, but a search pulled up the following data; something is messed up, so the column headers should be shifted rightward one slot.
    A more recent analysis shows light-duty vehicle deaths per 100 million miles has fallen to 0.54. So, with 200 million miles under its collective belts, there should be 1 death. I'd say that's too small a sample to have much confidence in. The lack of permanent injury is probably more indicative.

13. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

I dunno, I mean they were actually unable to "crush" the car in testing... who knows what this baby can stand up to! Quick! someone go (safely) roll a tanker truck over this car and see what happens!

Warning: Some of this may seem cynical or callous. I am merely coming at this from an educational exercise, and would not wish injury or death on anyone.
    -Things that might change this number. Getting hit/hitting something at an insanely fast speed. We are talking someone going like 100MPH into oncoming traffic doing like 60MPH... Rare, but they do happen (although the last time this was "tested" it was Tesla vs a very old Honda Accord, and the Accord did not win that fight. I do not know the speeds off hand of that accident, though.)
    -Getting hit by something VERY large. Like a train. This is also very rare, but I am sure happens still. as long as the car explodes, depending on the speed of the train the odds are still likely very favorable.
    -Maybe if a building/giant rock falls on top of the car? They don't put of "falling rocks" signs for nothing.
    -Deer/Animals going THROUGH the windshield? This is rare as far as I know too, but could happen. Anything going through the windshield would likely be bad.
    -Getting caught in someone else's fire/explosion. You may be fine, but the ICE vehicle you hit might not be, their could catch fire, explode, and set off a chain reaction on your car, or at the very least their explosion would impact your car.

All these seem pretty extreme and far out there, so I think the numbers will stay looking pretty good for now. But I do agree it will likely take an extreme circumstance that noone would be expected to live through to happen before these numbers change.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Animal through the windshield is how moose kill people, It's a hundreds of pounds standing on thin legs.

15. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Yes a moose is dangerous especially here in Norway where they are everywhere. I'm curious though if the Model S is smooth enough that the moose body will impact the roof more than the windshield and sort of slide off the car. Obviously probably cracking the windshield and doing a number on the roof. If it ends up doing a more glancing blow rather than a direct impact on the windshield it might turn out okay for the occupants inside the car, probably not for the moose though. In that regard I would not like to drive a Model X, which looks to me to have all the wrong profile.

Has anyone heard of any moose Model S crashes yet? How about simulations?

Cobos

16. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

glad someone dug up the stats. I agree with the consensus here... sampling too small re fatalities, but lack of permanent injuries, crash test results encouraging.

chickensevil's warning applies to what follows:

eventually, someone has heart attack, massive stroke, seizure while driving car at highway speed... cause of death unclear, Elon uses discretion and does not tweet that his team says it was a heart attack before the accident. (disclaimer: any fun poked at hear towards the media more than Elon. If he responds to anything now it seems widely framed to be Elon being oversensitive, defensive...)

17. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

#17 Auzie, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    "Yes a moose is dangerous especially here in Norway where they are everywhere. I'm curious though if the Model S is smooth enough that the moose body will impact the roof more than the windshield and sort of slide off the car. Obviously probably cracking the windshield and doing a number on the roof. If it ends up doing a more glancing blow rather than a direct impact on the windshield it might turn out okay for the occupants inside the car, probably not for the moose though. In that regard I would not like to drive a Model X, which looks to me to have all the wrong profile.
    Cobos"

In Australia drivers fit bull bars to their cars to deflect kangaroo impact from the front of their vehicle. Some use high frequency "roo shoo" whistles to repel animals from their paths.

One Australian car manufacturer estimates that there are two hundred thousand collisions between motorcars and kangaroos every year.

Lets see how will Tesla engineers tackle this problem and how will they "kangaroo and moose proof" the car.
    :biggrin:

18. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Wow I thought we had a problem with deer in Virginia but I see it could be worse

19. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

So from everything I was reading about the safety of the car (even well before the NHTSA testing), they basically put it through the normal NHTSA tests themselves, found issues, fixed, and reinforced the car, then they went BACK over the car looking for any other weak spots, and reinforced the car. Because they were not just trying to beat the tests, but rather actually make a safer car.

I am sure when there is inevitably a death or a serious injury they will take this into account when they build their revised model S. I mean they have already set the new standard in safety, I just hope they keep trying to improve themselves and don't just settle.

20. johnnydop

johnnydop Member

#20 johnnydop, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    With Teslas luck, someone will get hurt only because they weren't wearing a seat belt and the beloved media will no doubt splash headlines about Tesla's first major injury without mentioning the fact that a seat belt was not worn. This will then force Tesla to go into defensive mode once again in order to present all the necessary facts.