Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadside Assistance Above and Beyond Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago I had the pleasure of being rescued by Tesla Roadside Assistance on two occasions within 24 hours. This is the unlikely story.

Normal work day, driving our 2017 S90D to lunch from the office and I notice rear left tire pressure low warning. I think "oh I should top that off after lunch at the gas station". After lunch, I head over the closest station and pull around back to the air/water station. Suddenly, I hear a sharp scraping sound round and round from the front right wheel.

I stop the car and to my shock to find this lodged in my front right tire. Some small scratches on fender but almost not visible so I'm not totally freaking out.
IMG_1021.jpg

The result:
IMG_1024.jpg

I get the shop mechanic to help me pry it out with a pry bar. As expected the tire starts shooting out air like a compressor and I quickly drive it into a parking space before its totally flat.

Now it gets interesting. I call tesla roadside and tell them about the crazy turn of events of wanting to inflate my rear left tire and ending up puncturing my front right. They offer a tow truck to swap out my front right wheel with a spare and take my tire to the nearby Santa Clara service center to get patched. They also recommended I get towed to the service center if I think my rear tire is also damaged. ;) I don't think its necessary...

In about 40 minutes the tow truck shows up, swaps my wheel for a tesla spare, mounts my wheel to his truck, and inflates all my tires to spec at 45psi. I'm happily on my way planning to pickup my patched tire tomorrow.

I get a call from the service center that evening on the way home saying they have already patched my tire and because I have had some issues there in the past they will goodwill the $50 patching mounting and balancing fee for free. Great! I'm thankful and let them know I'll come in tomorrow morning to have them swap my wheel back.:)

Flash forward to next morning. I'm walking to my care and low and behold the rear left tire is totally flat. WTF! :eek:

Now this is where things get interesting. I call Tesla roadside again and this time they offer to send a remote patching service van up to my home to fix the punctured tire or replace it with a new one they carry in stock.

After 15 minutes, I get a call back from the roadside assistance coordinator telling me that they detoured the tire van to first pickup my front repaired tire from the service center!

So now this mobile tire repair van is brining my front patched tire (for free) from the service center, and an entire shop to my front door to fix my rear tire in one stop.

About an hour later the great technician has replaced my front wheel with the service center patched tire and has patched mounted and balanced the rear tire. For that 2nd tire the fee was $50. But the time they saved me was easily measured in hours. :D

Tesla service truly went above and beyond to take care of me. Their call center was a pleasure to deal with and the remote tire repair service van was a godsend. Maybe having no spare is not such a big deal.

Attachments

• IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 52