Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roof - Leak Claim Process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Tesla roof that received permission to operate in May of 2022.

Haven't had any problems at all. Two rainstorms last week and I'm seeing leakage around a skylight. Leakage is 100% not coming through the skylight. Location of the leakage suggests that water is coming in around the frame which, to me, indicates a possible flaw in the flashing or sealing between the solar roof panels and the skylight frame.

When I was younger, I'd climb up there myself and take photos and a bucket of pitch and just look for likely suspect areas. I can't do that anymore, so I have to pursue Tesla for the process.

In reading other threads, I see that a "deposit" is often required for roofing claim. After pinging the website, I received notification that I am responsible for a $300 charge for "investigation." This sounds like a fee, not a deposit.

I'm wondering what I get for this investigation. If someone climbs up and says "Yeah....not our fault" I don't need to pay them $300 to do that.

Does anyone have a comment/experience that might suggest that the fee-based investigation process is the right way to proceed here?

I understand this is an open-ended question, but I welcome any advice.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: patrick40363
I have no idea. But the $300 doesn't sound wrong to me. If I have to come to your house and climb your roof, I want to get something for it. And in this case, if it is Tesla's fault, they'll pay for it. If not, then you get to do so.

I am sure that they had to implement this because someone was calling whenever it rained and requested someone to come out and check.

We have a Tesla roof that received permission to operate in May of 2022.

Haven't had any problems at all. Two rainstorms last week and I'm seeing leakage around a skylight. Leakage is 100% not coming through the skylight. Location of the leakage suggests that water is coming in around the frame which, to me, indicates a possible flaw in the flashing or sealing between the solar roof panels and the skylight frame.

When I was younger, I'd climb up there myself and take photos and a bucket of pitch and just look for likely suspect areas. I can't do that anymore, so I have to pursue Tesla for the process.

In reading other threads, I see that a "deposit" is often required for roofing claim. After pinging the website, I received notification that I am responsible for a $300 charge for "investigation." This sounds like a fee, not a deposit.

I'm wondering what I get for this investigation. If someone climbs up and says "Yeah....not our fault" I don't need to pay them $300 to do that.

Does anyone have a comment/experience that might suggest that the fee-based investigation process is the right way to proceed here?

I understand this is an open-ended question, but I welcome any advice.
Thanks in advance.
Agree to it and let them come out. Once they determine it was their fault they will not charge you. I had a leak and went through the same process. No charge.

Thanks to both Patrick and ewoodrick. I have had them out before on other claims (ice falling from an upper story broke several panels). There was no "claim" or "investigative fee" and they were out the next day with repairs. I do, however, understand that the flashing/underlayment and solar roof panels are different things...but, if I had my roof repaired (by anyone, not necessarily Tesla) and it rained a year later and I had leakage? I would expect the roofer to be out to inspect and repair without a fee.

Opening a claim and paying the fee is reasonable, though, and I'll get on it.

Thanks again.