Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Damaged our Brand New MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh my, so expensive and such a delay to get that fixed -- I'm pretty concerned about how long it'll take to fix; in my case I can't drive the car at all (I suppose it could be heavily plastic'd up but there's so many little glass shards all over and they still fall off and what not).

Given the high demand, I really doubt Tesla wants to delay a single vehicle just to put new glass on top of mine but we'll see!

Mine sitting at the bodyshop waiting for the parts to arrive. They said two weeks until they are in and another one or two to get them on and off to me. Suuuuuucks!

Carfax is over-rated. I had one car that was backed into twice, and hailed on twice and when I sold it I pulled a Carfax and nothing was on it. My daughters car was T-Boned and nothing was on the Carfax when we sold it either. I had the repairs done at a reputable body shop.

Is it the bodyshop, or the insurance company that reports it? Hoping mine slides right on through as well! Fingers crossed!

One persons "no big deal, its glass and a small ding" is another persons "omg the vehicle is totaled!". I'm firmly in the former camp, this is a big nothing burger, specifically related to the damage itself.

The normal Tesla repair delay is bad enough, and supply chain horrors are causing lengthy delays across nearly every auto maker. Not absolving Tesla of anything there - they have to get better and more predictable wrt parts and repairs - but stepping back and having some perspective is sorely needed here, methinks.

Real sorry to hear about your accident. Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but yes, your claim should definitely include DV (diminished value). That figure is sometime subjective unfortunately. I was involved in a small accident and the faulting party's insurance felt there were no DV associated with it. We went back and forth (I showed them several appraisal reports with MY that had similar miles driven) and ultimately, it went went to a 3rd party arbitrator. I was awarded an DV amount, but still felt that was too low. Anyways, good luck with everything.

• Love
Reactions: Tsudy
Real sorry to hear about your accident. Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but yes, your claim should definitely include DV (diminished value). That figure is sometime subjective unfortunately. I was involved in a small accident and the faulting party's insurance felt there were no DV associated with it. We went back and forth (I showed them several appraisal reports with MY that had similar miles driven) and ultimately, it went went to a 3rd party arbitrator. I was awarded an DV amount, but still felt that was too low. Anyways, good luck with everything.

With your accident, did you end up paying out-of-pocket and trying to get reimbursed from the at-fault party's insurer or did you happen to have all their insurance claim information beforehand?

With your accident, did you end up paying out-of-pocket and trying to get reimbursed from the at-fault party's insurer or did you happen to have all their insurance claim information beforehand?

It was a hit-and-run. I parked my car on the curb, and when I got back, I noticed some pretty decent-sized scratches and dents on driver side. Luckily, sentry mode picked everything up and I reported it to my insurance the same day along with the clips. Since my insurance had to do some research on their own (review clip, match license plate with driver, contact their insurance, etc.), they said I can either pay out of pocket now and get reimbursed later, or just wait until everything is resolved, then get my car fixed. I chose the 1st option. Total damage was around $1,800. Fast forward 3 weeks later, I got a check for that amount + my deductible.

It was a hit-and-run. I parked my car on the curb, and when I got back, I noticed some pretty decent-sized scratches and dents on driver side. Luckily, sentry mode picked everything up and I reported it to my insurance the same day along with the clips. Since my insurance had to do some research on their own (review clip, match license plate with driver, contact their insurance, etc.), they said I can either pay out of pocket now and get reimbursed later, or just wait until everything is resolved, then get my car fixed. I chose the 1st option. Total damage was around $1,800. Fast forward 3 weeks later, I got a check for that amount + my deductible.

Ahh! Thank you for the explanation, only issue I'm concerned with is that the valet's insurance has no desire to be expedient or cooperative with me, seeing as though I'm not their customer. There are laws in California that require claims are settled within a certain window, so I have that going for me -- car goes into the shop next week and I'm thinking I'll just pay out of pocket and fight with the valet's insurance... unless it gets too problematic then I'll reach out to mine directly. I did file a police report about the situation (when it was presumed to be random vandalism) and I also notified Tesla Insurance (didn't file an official claim but did document the date / time / person / context of that call). Tesla insurance agent suggested that, if the valet's insurance becomes overly uncooperative, that I could get them involved and they'll go after them on their own -- but that does always come with the risks of my premiums going up as a result =/

Ahh! Thank you for the explanation, only issue I'm concerned with is that the valet's insurance has no desire to be expedient or cooperative with me, seeing as though I'm not their customer. There are laws in California that require claims are settled within a certain window, so I have that going for me -- car goes into the shop next week and I'm thinking I'll just pay out of pocket and fight with the valet's insurance... unless it gets too problematic then I'll reach out to mine directly. I did file a police report about the situation (when it was presumed to be random vandalism) and I also notified Tesla Insurance (didn't file an official claim but did document the date / time / person / context of that call). Tesla insurance agent suggested that, if the valet's insurance becomes overly uncooperative, that I could get them involved and they'll go after them on their own -- but that does always come with the risks of my premiums going up as a result =/

Do you have the sentry mode clips to show both your insurance and the valet insurance? In any case, good luck with everything. Any other questions you may have, feel free to send me a private message.

Do you have the sentry mode clips to show both your insurance and the valet insurance? In any case, good luck with everything. Any other questions you may have, feel free to send me a private message.
Unfortunately, no. We have that default setting on where "Home" has Sentry Mode disabled due to it being a very secure garage that's 24/7 occupied with valet and security with the only non-secure point of entry being right at the valet counter itself.

We did turn it on when we first got it but we only drive on the weekend or every other weekend. The battery was consistently down at 20% (when Sentry Mode automatically self-disables to preserve battery) when we needed to retrieve the car with that much time elapsing.

Going forward... just going to deal with that battery drain and hit up a supercharger before we really go anywhere as we clearly cannot trust the valet staff at this point.

It would be a different story if, upon bringing us the car (or, honestly, not bringing it at all) -- they pulled us aside and said there's been an incident with our vehicle and it's suffered some damage. They should have then taken us to the car to show us the state it is in. We can then decide if we want to continue with vehicle retrieval and they will review available security footage to see what happened. Since this didn't happen at all, who knows what else they may have done / will do / etc. and Sentry Mode will remain on at all times as a result of this incident.

We're trying to leave the entire region anyhow, but this will be a good lessen learned that -- even within a highly secure garage -- you still can't trust people!

Sorry to hear that dude...unfortunately you got frame damage here. Even a tiny 0.1 mm frame deformation and the related asymmetry will affect your car body's structural rigidity, and its natural resonant frequencies (at least it won't have the same load-bearing spec as when it was brand new out of the factory).

Ask the body shop whether they have the equipment that is capable of the precision level of 0.1mm - those equipment are usually prohibitively expensive, not something a body shop can afford (only giant corporations like Toyota, BMW etc. have money to buy 1-2 units).

LOL. 0.1mm = 0.004". 2 human hairs. General tolerances for formed metal parts are on the scale of +/- millimeters at best.. Save the +/- 0.1mm for gear trains and precision fits.

Trust me - there's no frame damage or harmonic implications from a small sheet metal dent on the roof.