Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla s 2021 snow tires, has anyone found snow ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gave up and went with Pilot sport all seasons and ordered snow chains. There was a winter package online briefly this week for 12-24 hours before it sold out. Unfortunately i think this is outside Tesla's control, winter tires in the unusual sizes that the Plaid has is a low priority for tire manufacturers dealing with supply chain pressures.

Upvote 0
I gave up and went with Pilot sport all seasons and ordered snow chains. There was a winter package online briefly this week for 12-24 hours before it sold out. Unfortunately i think this is outside Tesla's control, winter tires in the unusual sizes that the Plaid has is a low priority for tire manufacturers dealing with supply chain pressures.
The winter package barely lasted 5 hours on Tesla, and I still got a backordered email from Service after placing an order in time. Supplies are just constrained…

Upvote 0
I totally disagree with the view that this is outside of Tesla's control.

It should be painfully obvious during the development of the car, especially on that is being configured with performance tires which are only intended for summer type operating conditions, that a winter tire package will be needed and needs to be available from day 1 of production deliveries. It should be routine during the development process and the working with tire manufacturers that always needs to happens to work out tire specifications that Tesla needed to have a winter tire option available for a car that is clearly intended to be driven in winter conditions.

Now I can accept that the Honda S2000 2-seat convertible that I owned and drove as my 'toy' for 15 years prior to my MS90D was configured around a set of incredibly soft Protenza tire package that was not suitable for winter conditions. But that clearly is a different class of car developed for a different set of market needs that a Model S performance sedan or touring car that would be expected to be operated in all climates and weather conditions.

Upvote 0
Ensure proper fit and be vigilant with ongoing checks for fitment. There was at least a few Model S owner whose chains dislodged a little and sawed through the soft aluminum suspension parts, causing several hundred dollars of damage.

Snow Chains 21 Turbines, Learn from my mistake

Upvote 0
I have, both wheels and snow. Obviously they are for the pre-Plaid, but if you find suitable wheels that fits on the rims then you do not need to get them via Tesla. It’s going to be you who will drive the car, not Tesla. Some proofs
8D2A314D-4BB2-4D3C-AD42-9AAABC252CC3.jpeg
D52C0CAA-2EDA-4F38-ACD6-9ABA31F26111.jpeg

Upvote 0
I totally disagree with the view that this is outside of Tesla's control.

It should be painfully obvious during the development of the car, especially on that is being configured with performance tires which are only intended for summer type operating conditions, that a winter tire package will be needed and needs to be available from day 1 of production deliveries. It should be routine during the development process and the working with tire manufacturers that always needs to happens to work out tire specifications that Tesla needed to have a winter tire option available for a car that is clearly intended to be driven in winter conditions.

Now I can accept that the Honda S2000 2-seat convertible that I owned and drove as my 'toy' for 15 years prior to my MS90D was configured around a set of incredibly soft Protenza tire package that was not suitable for winter conditions. But that clearly is a different class of car developed for a different set of market needs that a Model S performance sedan or touring car that would be expected to be operated in all climates and weather conditions.

Wide performance winter tires aren't what tire OEMs are focusing on, Tesla cannot control that. Performance winter tires are a fraction of what tire OEMs produce and it's basic business sense to prioritize all season and touring tires first with the current supply chain challenges as possible as that's their biggest sellers.

It's not that Tesla hasn't focused on a winter tire option, there just aren't winter tires available. I have the 19 inch wheels and I was able to track down Pilot Alpin PA4 for the front but the back tires are backordered for likely the rest of the season. I had no problem finding Pilot Alpin PA4 for my P3D in 20 inches a month prior.

What I will blame Tesla for is the complete lack of a Snow Mode with 50/50 power and regen distribution. I use to use track mode on the P3D to simulate this and it drastically improved winter handling. With the Plaid having potentially twice as much regen in the back I'm concerned on how the car will balance in snow.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Upvote 0
See this thread; perhaps helpful: Vendor - Refresh Model S LR/Plaid : Winter Tire Option

No snow yet but just put on 275/35/21 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 on all four corners; stock Arachnid 21s wheels on a 2021 Model S LR.
Just put them on and the front tires are way too close to the control arm and also the interior of the wheel arch (lower front part of wheel arch closest to ground and center of car). Makes a noticeable metallic scrubbing noise even when driving straight. Taking them off now. First time ever had an issue with keeping stock wheels with a recommended winter tire set up.

Upvote 0