Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S 7 Seater v Range Rover Sport!

Tesla S 7 seater or Range Rover Sport?

• Tesla

• Range Rover

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I was set on buying a Range Rover but have just come back from LA and saw a Tesla S 7 seater which I loved the look of and it has caused me to rethink.

I know they are completely different cars but we are looking for a 7 Seater as we are expecting a third and as such, the Tesla could work.

I know very little about these cars though so would really appreciate any of your thoughts.

thanks

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you need to go off road, or you want to tow something big then you probably want the range rover. If you are going to stay on the road and don't need to tow much, then the S could be right.

I've cheated. I have a model 3 and a freelander 2.

Hi All,

I was set on buying a Range Rover but have just come back from LA and saw a Tesla S 7 seater which I loved the look of and it has caused me to rethink.

I know they are completely different cars but we are looking for a 7 Seater as we are expecting a third and as such, the Tesla could work.

I know very little about these cars though so would really appreciate any of your thoughts.

thanks

Well the Model S 7 seater option is no longer available so unless you buy used then you will have to consider the Model X if 7 seats are required (probably a better option anyway)

Running costs for a Model X are about 1/4 of Range Rover.

Electricity is much less expensive than gasoline. Does not have a problematic transmission like the Rover. Much smoother and better handling.

Gotta take on for a test drive. Will see the differences between Rover immediately.

Rovers are in the shop much more than Tesla.

The power of the Tesla is much greater than the Rover.

Rover will depreciate much quicker than the Tesla.

Tesla has a bonus Frunk to hold extra baby stuff.

Falcon wing doors will make getting baby seats in and out much easier.

I know the X is more comparable but I prefer the look of the S and still works from a space perspective.

The 2 jump seats in the S is only suitable for short travel, there is not even any HAVC systems in the back. I remember some 7 seater S owners put hand held fans in the back to keep kids cool in the summer!!

A 6/7 seater X is a much better people carrier. Used prices are now coming down a bit, though still slightly high.

If you value giving your passengers a comfortable trip, save for a bit longer and get a X, or get a Range Rover.

Reactions: ACarneiro
On a serious note we had one for a month while our discovery was being repaired. It’s a faster, less practical discovery.

Also a lot less people let you pull out.

One of my colleagues went from a discovery to an S with no issues. We have a 3 and I only drive the Discovery when I have to.

Can't really take you serious with this comment. It's like saying your going to buy an articulated lorry to do the school run. So basically you want to know if you should buy a chelsea tractor or a Model S, and your asking on a Tesla forum.....

This! (not on the not taking you seriously, more on the horses for courses thing)

One of the points to consider is that regardless of how it's powered, an SUV will use X% more energy than a normal format car of the same space/performance/whatever. (That X% is not small, like 20% or so but I can't remember details)

In the UK we've movements towards EVs and towards smaller and more efficient petrol cars, PHEVs etc. These have all brought our car-related emissions down. We've also seen a constant rise in people buying SUVs over normal cars. In emissions impact terms the recent increase from the relentless rise in SUVs has been greater than the decreases from all these other good changes put together. Adds a bit of perspective I think.

Another point I'd add is around cost. Not much point just comparing buy price. You need to add in servicing, fuel etc at the outset. Rather than considering two same purchase price cars and then considering running costs separately, you need to bring the whole lot in at the same time. Once you do this, over any given period of ownership a Range Rover is going to cost a lot more per mile. I suspect it'll cost a lot more per mile even than a Model X. An anecdote: my Dad has an old subaru Forester; pretty much everything about that would cost a fraction of a RR, yet per mile it costs more to own and run than my Model S.

Finally the practicalities of EV ownership. Its not hard but you've got to get your head round a change. Basically you need to want to do it. Nearly all the time you'll charge at home. Range is an issue on days you need all of it, then you have to charge on the road, which means planning ahead, usually requiring about 1 minute of your time, and say a 15-45 minute charging stop which you make use of by eating/working/walking the dog/whatever. Most of us posting on here find ourselves rolling our eyes at motoring journalists getting themselves in bother over this, but then we want it to work, and they want it not to. Or at least they're quite wedded to a way of using the car which has to change for an EV. For me the change isn't an inconvenience really, but it's certainly a change.

On seats, if you need more than 5 you need an X, or to wait for a Y. A new Y, when they come out, would be cheaper to buy and own than your 2nd hand RR, most certainly, but they won't exist in the UK for a year or two I guess.

Why RR Sport? Performance? If it's about that you'll get a pleasant surprise with any tesla.

Last edited:
I would imagine that one drawback to a Model S 7 seater is that, with having three children, you will lose a lot of boot space resulting in luggage space being minimal. Of course a Model X would probably negate that issue.

This! (not on the not taking you seriously, more on the horses for courses thing)

One of the points to consider is that regardless of how it's powered, an SUV will use X% more energy than a normal format car of the same space/performance/whatever. (That X% is not small, like 20% or so but I can't remember details)

In the UK we've movements towards EVs and towards smaller and more efficient petrol cars, PHEVs etc. These have all brought our car-related emissions down. We've also seen a constant rise in people buying SUVs over normal cars. In emissions impact terms the recent increase from the relentless rise in SUVs has been greater than the decreases from all these other good changes put together. Adds a bit of perspective I think.

Another point I'd add is around cost. Not much point just comparing buy price. You need to add in servicing, fuel etc at the outset. Rather than considering two same purchase price cars and then considering running costs separately, you need to bring the whole lot in at the same time. Once you do this, over any given period of ownership a Range Rover is going to cost a lot more per mile. I suspect it'll cost a lot more per mile even than a Model X. An anecdote: my Dad has an old subaru Forester; pretty much everything about that would cost a fraction of a RR, yet per mile it costs more to own and run than my Model S.

Finally the practicalities of EV ownership. Its not hard but you've got to get your head round a change. Basically you need to want to do it. Nearly all the time you'll charge at home. Range is an issue on days you need all of it, then you have to charge on the road, which means planning ahead, usually requiring about 1 minute of your time, and say a 15-45 minute charging stop which you make use of by eating/working/walking the dog/whatever. Most of us posting on here find ourselves rolling our eyes at motoring journalists getting themselves in bother over this, but then we want it to work, and they want it not to. Or at least they're quite wedded to a way of using the car which has to change for an EV. For me the change isn't an inconvenience really, but it's certainly a change.

On seats, if you need more than 5 you need an X, or to wait for a Y. A new Y, when they come out, would be cheaper to buy and own than your 2nd hand RR, most certainly, but they won't exist in the UK for a year or two I guess.

Why RR Sport? Performance? If it's about that you'll get a pleasant surprise with any tesla.

Completely agree with everything you said, but RR have now got a hybrid sport. Saying that, it starts at £72k, and the “ev only range” is around 25 miles. I’d go with a Tesla any day.

To compare, we are moving from our 3.0 diesel Jaguar XJ, an engine that is in a lot of RR’s and with fairly similar running costs. And over a 4 year period we are saving near enough £10k in fuel and servicing (with a hefty commute). Tesla’s are depreciating a lot slower than a RR too if you’re interested in what it would be worth at the end!

I think you need to go and research pro's and cons of EV's a bit more rather than just going on looks.

You don't say anything about usage patterns and potential charging options which may make EV ownership too much of an inconvenience. Many on here will make EV's work no matter what, but if someone expects an EV to work like a petrol or diesel and is not prepared to change they way they plan to operate the car may be in for some disappointment.

Reactions: Adopado

Thank you.... lots of great food for thought here. Will check out the Y.... could be a case of delaying the purchase as I wait for it to come out.

I knew it was a random post before I set it up but was genuinely interested in views and I’ve been very pleasantly surprised with the great feedback. Thanks again.

Completely agree with everything you said, but RR have now got a hybrid sport. Saying that, it starts at £72k, and the “ev only range” is around 25 miles. I’d go with a Tesla any day.

To compare, we are moving from our 3.0 diesel Jaguar XJ, an engine that is in a lot of RR’s and with fairly similar running costs. And over a 4 year period we are saving near enough £10k in fuel and servicing (with a hefty commute). Tesla’s are depreciating a lot slower than a RR too if you’re interested in what it would be worth at the end!

I'd find this kind of thing kind of funny if it wasn't downright damaging. The PHEV concept works, arguably, for the scenario Toyota claim, ie that they can produce and sell lots of cheap cars which will do the vast majority of their miles on battery, and "once in a blue moon" a longer journey on petrol, making really good use of that limited number of li-ion cells and keeping the amount of fuel burned over the life of the car still very low. The RR, however, does a tiny number of miles on battery (assume the quoted 25 in reality only gets the RR to the end of the estate drive) to make either its owner or manufacturer feel a bit better, and the majority lugging about a bloody great square Range Rover, plus all the hybrid stuff, at 20mpg.

Reactions: Harv3y and tess19