Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla safety score penalizes night driving..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Tesla safety score now penalizes driver for driving between 10pm and 4am. This seems absurd since traffic is a lot less during those hours. Also, you are getting penalized for driving to Supe Charger at mid night where charging rate is a lot cheaper during those hours. How do people feel about the night driving penalty?

Yes, it’s crazy. My safety score literally dropped by 20 just because of night driving. This scoring system is broken now.
I suspect Tesla is intentionally lowering the score for most people for their insurance business. The cutoff time at 10 pm is very suspicious. Many people will drive at those hours occasionally. Except for California, many people with Tesla insurance will be impacted by lower score.

Reactions: Beyond
I suspect Tesla is intentionally lowering the score for most people for their insurance business. The cutoff time at 10 pm is very suspicious. Many people will drive at those hours occasionally. Except for California, many people with Tesla insurance will be impacted by lower score.
I drove to a concert Sunday night and had to drive home afterward after 10pm. Ended up with a 71 for that day even though more than half of my 90 miles were before 10pm. Glad I am in CA and my Tesla insurance rate isn't affected. If I were, I might need to go elsewhere for insurance.

I've been obsessing over my safety score since I got my Y and tesla insurance in May, but as I'm in CA it doesn't impact my premium. With the recent update for night driving I did one night drive which took off a few percent. Also found I was more hesitant to brake at amber lights, would rather speed up. Would regulate speed through freeway interchanges by adjusting the autopilot speed dial to avoid being dinged for fast cornering if doing it at a sensible speed manually. Would use autopilot in on the freeway if I see a slowdown ahead but dial speed way down to avoid the stupid hard braking it would do if left unchecked. It really doesn't look ahead.

I feel so liberated now I've switched off safety score! I don't think I'll feel comfortable with it all round until all cars have something like it and all cars talk to each other.

Reactions: Beyond and Watts_Up
I disagree that it's a higher risk. Maybe in bad weather then I could understand. This is just another money grab for Tesla and completely unnecessary.
You can disagree, but I believe the stats clearly say otherwise.

Lower visibility, drivers more tired, and more drunks on the road. It's not just about the driver, it's also about the risk from other drivers.

Anybody who really disagrees can find their state's regulator responsible for insurance and file a complaint.

Yet as far as I know, no other insurance company increases rates based on the time of day your car is driven.
"It’s not just paranoia: Driving at night is actually more dangerous. Fatal accidents are three times more likely at night compared with the daytime, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)."

I have participated in a few different programs where insurance company monitors your driving habits via an app in exchange for a lower rate. In every case, night time driving negatively impacted driver score.

Any Insurance company that can identify you as driving a lot at night is going to take that into account in determining premium. If you take 60 trips a month, 3-4 at night should not affect your premium/score. If you take 20 trips at night, then it becomes relevant.

Reactions: GSP and bhzmark
I've been obsessing over my safety score since I got my Y and tesla insurance in May, but as I'm in CA it doesn't impact my premium. With the recent update for night driving I did one night drive which took off a few percent. Also found I was more hesitant to brake at amber lights, would rather speed up. Would regulate speed through freeway interchanges by adjusting the autopilot speed dial to avoid being dinged for fast cornering if doing it at a sensible speed manually. Would use autopilot in on the freeway if I see a slowdown ahead but dial speed way down to avoid the stupid hard braking it would do if left unchecked. It really doesn't look ahead.

I feel so liberated now I've switched off safety score! I don't think I'll feel comfortable with it all round until all cars have something like it and all cars talk to each other.
How did you switch off the safety score. I don't see an option to do that.

Reactions: Watts_Up
This was the final straw for me. I'm canceling Tesla's insurance. I work night shift. The place I work is a fairly big complex. I charge in the parking garage and during my last break i'll move to the regular parking lot. I was dinged for driving at night for doing this. It's private property and I never left the campus so the physical address doesn't change. My monthly payment will be about $20 more a month with a 91 score. My new score because of the night driving is 76! $20 more is worth it to me, now I can drive the Model 3 Performance as it should be driven and not like a little old lady.

Reactions: Beyond and GSP
It's in the app under: Account -> Insurance ~> Safety score. If you have enabled it in a state that's doesn't require it, you can switch it off. (CA for example)
However, there is no reason to turn it off in California because the Safety Score isn't allowed by the State to change your insurance premium. I spoke with a rep at Tesla Insurance who confirmed this to be correct.

I was averaging between 98-100 SS. Last night I drove with FSD after 10pm with nothing else at fault. It dropped my SS of 72 for that trip and overall avg SS to 83. Wth!!

Attachments

• 5D3E4393-6C7E-48DD-BA88-B390AFDDEB2A.png
    5D3E4393-6C7E-48DD-BA88-B390AFDDEB2A.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 732