Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sales Banned in New Jersey... hopefully not for long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But what would be your specific plan of attack? Just saying you're well-versed doesn't exactly lay out the strategy.

What is the actual strategy?

would you share the recipe for your secret sauce, there are (I hope) far better minds than mine working to solve the conundrum, I will keep my ideas to myself until elon calls for a chat

As I thought.

that is an awfully snarky comment
and exactly what are you attempting to imply?
why in the world would I give away the value of my expertise on a forum like this?

Yep, totally snarky. You have posted several times indicating you know better, but there is nothing here that tells us what that 'know better' is. Thank god when I ask a question over in the investor section of the forum, I don't get responses like that.

I suggest you just email Elon directly. He doesn't read this forum, so posting here that you know a secret sauce is just, well, I don't what it is.

that is an awfully snarky comment
and exactly what are you attempting to imply?
why in the world would I give away the value of my expertise on a forum like this?

- - - Updated - - -

he does do things differently

The value of TMC is huge IMHO even when you discount the financial advice. I would challenge you to find a more well rounded, versed and educated bunch of car enthusiasts. It is much more than just a place to call out problems. We tend to strive for sustainable solutions after describing issues.

Also, to add my 2 cents to the discussion it would seem as if Tesla is doing what they can at the state level (as TM had discussions with law makers in all 3 states) but chooses to take a more grass roots route (that is more cost effective) and in my opinion valuable to shareholders for the long term.

The people of TX, AZ and NJ are not being unduly harmed by franchise laws, in my opinion, but they are not progressive enough for consumers of the digital age, nor do they serve the purpose they were originally setup to protect. Consumers want the Apple experience to car buying.

Long term affects of this process will most likely cause franchise laws to be revisited in states where consumers have had enough of poor service and car makers are seeing less and less value from their franchise partners. Consumer protection laws are robust enough now to compensate for a franchise-light system.

As a shareholder, owner and maybe one day employee of TM I applaud their current efforts.

Yep, totally snarky.
totally hypocritical as well.

You have posted several times indicating you know better, but there is nothing here that tells us what that 'know better' is. Thank god when I ask a question over in the investor section of the forum, I don't get responses like that.
when you get coke to divulge their formula, when you get mcdonalds to tell you how they concoct their secret sauce, when you find out KFC's 11 herbs and spices then I will tell you how to play the game in trenton.
I suggest you just email Elon directly. He doesn't read this forum, so posting here that you know a secret sauce is just, well, I don't what it is.
too late he should have hire NJ experts before the fact, sending in his head council was a misplay, just because you are watching a game doesn't mean that you really understand that game. in baseball there is more going on than hitting the ball where nobody is.
and with this diatribe I will now go into lurker mode while I await my date for NJ delivery of my model s

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, so you're gunning for a job. Now what you're saying makes sense.
looking for a job?? no, I am retired but why give anything away for free?

- - - Updated - - -

I think you're overestimating the importance of NJ in the overall scheme of things.
you too don't seem to get it, this was not an anti tesla judgement, it was an anti direct sales judgement by the NJ MVC

These states trying to stop/slow down sales of Tesla (yes I know, it's just the antiquated dealership laws being enforced), just provide public awareness of the existence of Tesla and their unique direct to customer business model that millions of dollars in advertising couldn't hope to provide. The battles and war will be fought, but it will probably wait until closer to the launch of the gen3 Model E, imagine the value of that very public challenge, brought in front of the Supreme Court in 2016 (tesla will have sued and lost several state challenges by then, presumably), when you are about to be able to produce a large quantity of much more affordable vehicles, and at the same time advertise them for free :)

Last edited:
looking for a job?? no, I am retired but why give anything away for free?

Oh, I dunno, because you're participating as part of an open user community that wants Tesla to succeed? You're retired now and can contribute to creating a sustainable economy for the future of mankind?

We're not in it for ourselves here. If you want to sell your services to Tesla, I recommend you send them a resume. You're not going to make inroads with them posting here.

@apvbguy, obviously we all make mistakes (myself unquestionably included), and the best thing in the face of our mistakes is a sense of humor that opens our ability to learn from our mistakes. that said,

I'll gently suggest that you may be confusing claiming "authoritative" understanding and expressing condescension toward a group of people with the humility and manners not to respond in kind nor try to exclude you from the conversation with "power", "authority", and persuasion.

We're not in it for ourselves here.
speak for yourself, thank you.
If you want to sell your services to Tesla, I recommend you send them a resume. You're not going to make inroads with them posting here.
thanks funny, if I wanted a gig lobbying tesla in NJ I certainly wouldn't use comments on an open internet forum as supporting documents of expertise.

- - - Updated - - -

Question: Do auto manufacturers (other than Tesla) sell directly to consumers in countries outside of the US? Or are franchised dealers pretty much the only thing that's used?
I really cannot think of any manufacturer of autos that skips the dealership level, other than maybe the smallest of customized shops. even bugatti who only sell a handful of cars doesn't sell direct like tesla does

We can probably move on. apvbguy is not going to reveal his strategic plan for TM in NJ. I accept that TM will not take my opinion on this matter but I hope that they spend their time on perfecting the Model X and E. In addition, that if they spend time negotiating with a state that it is to get a favorable tax 'deal' with regards to the building and operation of their gigafactory. Since TM is now, and will be for some time in the future, supply constrained, I think their efforts to eliminate these constraints and meet demand in more easily accessible markets should command their immediate and short term attention.

you too don't seem to get it, this was not an anti tesla judgement, it was an anti direct sales judgement by the NJ MVC

Then it would seem I am in good company, as someone who you feel doesn't get it. As the only direct seller in NJ, by the transitive property, an anti-direct sales judgment is an anti-Tesla judgment - but that wasn't even a point I was trying to make. My point was that NJ is not nearly as important to Tesla as it seems to be to you.

speak for yourself, thank you.

Okay you are participating on this forum solely out of self-interest. Gotcha.

thanks funny, if I wanted a gig lobbying tesla in NJ I certainly wouldn't use comments on an open internet forum as supporting documents of expertise.

How ironic that you would say that. You made my point for me.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here. IMHO saying "I can solve your problem but I'm not going to tell you how to do it" is not a terribly constructive way to participate.

No. Unless you're schizophrenic you can only have one legal residence.
where did you conjure up this statement of fact? and how does where I legally reside come into play??

- - - Updated - - -

Okay you are participating on this forum solely out of self-interest. Gotcha.

How ironic that you would say that. You made my point for me.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here. IMHO saying "I can solve your problem but I'm not going to tell you how to do it" is not a terribly constructive way to participate.
now that that is all settled