Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sales Banned in New Jersey... hopefully not for long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bill with 4% language was Assembly Bill 3096.
A3096

So the Assembly committee scrapped 3096 in favor of 3216 which does not contain the 4% language?

Just read A3216

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2014/Bills/A3500/3216_I1.PDF

Allows four stores to ZEV exclusive manufacturers but no 4% market share limit before franchised dealers become mandatory.

EXCELLENT! I know many felt that 4% was better than nothing..which it is....but it would just have led to another big fight in the future. Even if TM could not have more than 4 stores in NJ in the long term I think they could still achieve more market share with compelling products.

Update from the Assembly confirming that the decision will be made on Monday:

Great news! A3216, which permits certain zero emission vehicle manufacturers to directly sell motor vehicles to consumers and requires them to operate service facilities, is scheduled for a vote in front of all 80 members of the General Assembly on Monday, June 16, 2014.

To illustrate strong support for this bill, we will be holding a press conference on June 16 at 12 noon on the front steps of the State House, located at 125 W. State St., Trenton, NJ.

We hope you can attend the press conference in a show of support and invite your friends/members of your organization to attend as well. It’s imperative we have a huge show of support at the press conference as it will be right before the Assembly votes on the bill.

Please let us know if you are able to attend and will be bringing members of your organization.

Thanks, again, for your support and we look forward to seeing you on Monday!

4 store limit is definitely better than 4%. Though both are arbitrary and am sure would lose in court if Tesla wanted to go that route in the future

Assembly Bill 3096 had a 4 store limit per ZEV manufacture in addition to 4% overall market share limit.
Under this bill once market share for ZEVs reach 4% of overall market,all factory stores must shut down. All manufactures must go to franchised dealers. This bill would allow,say Ford, to open a factory store that sells BEVs and FCEVs exclusively until the 4% limit is reached.

Assembly Bill 3216 just has the 4 store limit for ZEV exclusive manufactures.

I would like to high-five the New Jersey legislature. You go, guys!

NJA3216.png

It is time to change the title of this thread, mods!

The bill passed 77-0 in the full assembly!

Good news about the assembly but it still needs senate approval. Don't count out the auto dealers who may still try to get the language changed. Christie will sign whatever comes through.

Thanks, Al. I don't expect the Senate would block a unanimous House vote at this point, but it does have to clear that last hurdle.

Thanks, Al. I don't expect the Senate would block a unanimous House vote at this point, but it does have to clear that last hurdle.

As Yogi Berra so eloquently put it: 'It ain't over till it's over'...........but I can hear the band warming up in the background for the celebration! The pols don't want to be on the wrong side of this one. My only worry is trying to 'water it down' slightly and then it goes back to assembly or into conference.

PS. It is time for NJ owners to call their senators to make sure it gets into the senate for a vote asap. If the senate holds it up it will give more time to try some shenanigans with it...quick to the floor and it will end up on Christie's door!

Great for Tesla, but still a dumb setup. So no new EV manufacturer can come in a sell direct because you have to have had a license prior to Jan 1st 2014. Gotta believe that if someone wanted to come in and do this, they'd have a pretty good legal argument about being barred from competing with Tesla in New Jersey.

Also, limiting the number of stores to 4? :rolleyes:

Great for Tesla, but still a dumb setup. So no new EV manufacturer can come in a sell direct because you have to have had a license prior to Jan 1st 2014. Gotta believe that if someone wanted to come in and do this, they'd have a pretty good legal argument about being barred from competing with Tesla in New Jersey.

State of Washington (and Ohio too I think) are in the same boat. i.e. Tesla has been grandfathered in but no new EV companies can sell direct.

There is now a PAC in Washington to support EVs because of this kind of behavior. wevapac.com

4 is probably more than enough for NJ, at least for now. Especially since it ultimately comes down to you buying your car online. The stores are practically just there for education/test drive purposes... which makes it more of an advertising venue than anything. The only critical piece that is needed, is the test drive portion. Which really they could continue to do "traveling test drive" events like they have been, for exactly that purpose.

4 is probably more than enough for NJ, at least for now. Especially since it ultimately comes down to you buying your car online. The stores are practically just there for education/test drive purposes... which makes it more of an advertising venue than anything. The only critical piece that is needed, is the test drive portion. Which really they could continue to do "traveling test drive" events like they have been, for exactly that purpose.
I'm sure 4 is enough for Tesla in New Jersey. Still an eye-rolly legislative limitation.