TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla SC confirmed Tyco road, Tyson's corner

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by AMPUP, May 31, 2014.

1. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

2. JST

JST Active Member

Good news. Essentially right next door to the Audi dealer. That's usefully closer than Rockville.

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

This is good news. Also not a bad location for a super charger.

4. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

Super!!!! This will be much more convenient for me than Rockville, although the Rockville team has been excellent.

5. tsla168

tsla168 Member

this is a service center .. are superchargers going to be available too?

6. iadbound

iadbound Member

Drove by the spot today. As indicated, it is right next to the Audi SC. Not much to look at as far as the building goes, but it's a great development.

7. loganss

loganss Spaceman

Are they moving from Rockville? This seems pretty close to the Rockville service center.

8. iadbound

iadbound Member

My understanding is that this will be a new center, and that the Rockville location will remain in operation. At least that's the impression I got from talking to the Rockville SC and Tysons gallery.

9. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Awesome! 15 miles from my home

10. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I have no knowledge that Tesla will also install a super charger at this location. I was merely suggesting that it's not a bad spot for one. Not ideal, but not bad.

11. Xenoilphobe

a better location would be on the way to the beach (Salisbury MD) or on the way down 81 to Roanoke (Harrisonburg VA). They already have chargers at Nordstrom that could be upgraded to SC..

12. slr_pwrd

slr_pwrd Member

Awesome News! Just 2 miles from home off Route 7. ​

13. iadbound

iadbound Member

14. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

Excellent location. When the Metro Silver Line finally opens in 2027, I'll be able to drop the car off for service and take the train back to Reston.

15. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Love the sense of humor many of our Tesla Nation members have! :smile:

16. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

You mean optimism, right?

17. Xenoilphobe

Didn't catch the date -- my new office is at the Silver Line Reston stop too!

18. Ride Long

Ride Long Member

C'mon, it can't be more than 2 miles from Wiehle Ave station to Reston Town Ctr, can it? The exercise will do you good! :wink:

19. iadbound

iadbound Member

Seems like this thread was in need of an update, so I did some digging. Here's what I have been able to find out, without actually going to the Fairfax County government offices:

1. The Tesla-related zoning applications appear to have been received on June 9, 2014 and accepted by the County on July 1, 2014. A point of clarification: I am assuming the applications are for Tesla (at least in part) because they were made within the proper time frame, cover the expected location, and reference vehicles sales and service.

2. There are two, related applications: RZ 2014-PR-013 and SE 2014-PR-040. Tesla is not specifically named as the party. Instead, it is "Tysons West Assemblage, LLC." This company is associated with the Georgelas family that is mentioned in the various articles written about this project.

3. The first application appears to be a rezoning request that covers 7.04 acres on the "
    NORTH SIDE OF TYCO ROAD EAST OF ITS INTERSECTION WITH LEESBURG PIKE." The use intended is a "VEHICLE SALES, RENTAL AND ANCILLARY SERVICE ESTABLISHMENT."

4. The second application covers 2.58 acres located at "8500 TYCO ROAD, VIENNA, VA 22182." The use intended is also a "VEHICLE SALES, RENTAL AND ANCILLARY SERVICE ESTABLISHMENT." I believe "SE" means Special Exception.

5. The schedule for these applications appears to be as follows:

10/15 - Post Planning Commission Hearing Sign
    10/15 - Public #1 Ad for Planning Commission hearing
    10/21 - Final Planning Commission Staff Report Publication
    10/22 - Publish #2 Ad for Planning Commission hearing
    11/05 - Planning Commission hearing
    11/11 - Post Board of Supervisors hearing Sign
    12/02 - Board of Supervisors hearing

Obviously, if this schedule holds, there is little chance that the service center will open this year, but at least the process is in full swing. I reached out to the applicant's lawyer to get more info, but no dice as of yet. At some point, I might try to pull the papers from Fairfax County, but I'm never around during the day, so I doubt I will get over there.

I'll update if I see anything else. Presumably all dates are subject to change.

20. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

shockingly, the silver line opening of phase 1 beat this, but it will be a welcome site in 2015. Ill miss the rockville guys though as they have been more than awesome. Im sure they will welcome the relief and the Maryland and PA crowd will welcome the shorter waits for service.