Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla scheduled departure/off-peak charging not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, both seem to be missing something simple. If you want it to charge at only peak times and NOT ensure it charges to it's full objective then stop using off-peak charging. It's not for you. This is clearly defined in the owners manual. Instead you should simple use "Scheduled Charge" start and set that time to your off-peak start time.

If you find that schedule not flexible for you, lets say only on certain days, or you want it to stop at a select time, then use "Tessie" automations as I've already mention.

Note this is charger independent and only specific charge stop and stop times. For that matter, as many per day or week as you want. You can even set charge levels you want to charge to for different days.

Tessie is cheap & flexible and James (developer) is pretty responsive.
I'm not using Tessie much, but I also learned that it's capable of getting lots of data from our Tesla EV via Tesla account. My local power supply delivery company, Con Edison, also has the program to connect with Tesla to see the charging activities and data, then credit you with 10 cents/kWh if you charge off-peak time. It's using the similar technology like Tessie to know how you charge your Tesla.

Reactions: dafish
However, both seem to be missing something simple. If you want it to charge at only peak times and NOT ensure it charges to it's full objective then stop using off-peak charging. It's not for you. This is clearly defined in the owners manual. Instead you should simple use "Scheduled Charge" start and set that time to your off-peak start time.

If you find that schedule not flexible for you, lets say only on certain days, or you want it to stop at a select time, then use "Tessie" automations as I've already mention.

Note this is charger independent and only specific charge stop and stop times. For that matter, as many per day or week as you want. You can even set charge levels you want to charge to for different days.

you oversimplify. Not everyone is like you. I am not. I do use scheduled charge time for midnight, but my cheap rates last til 3pm, so if I am out at night and arrive home in the morning, I want to charge when I get home, and have it stop at 3pm even if it's not full. I do this, but I need to manually tell it to charge, and if it's near 3pm, I have to set an alarm and manually turn it off. This is silly on a car that has a full computer.

you oversimplify. Not everyone is like you. I am not. I do use scheduled charge time for midnight, but my cheap rates last til 3pm, so if I am out at night and arrive home in the morning, I want to charge when I get home, and have it stop at 3pm even if it's not full. I do this, but I need to manually tell it to charge, and if it's near 3pm, I have to set an alarm and manually turn it off. This is silly on a car that has a full computer.

As you’ve been told several times, Tessie automations solves this in seconds. Easily. It’s obvious to every single reader you’ve focused on complaining instead of trying to fix it. That’s on you.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and sfRonH
Similar issue but all I want to achieve is off-peak charging between 0000 and 0600 - unless I choose to override it because I need more charge for a particular trip next day. Yes, I want it to stop at 0600 even if it hasn't reached the charge limit.

The Tesla can't/won't do a simple task like that.

I can only apply band-aid fixes like knowing that I get about 30% charge in 6 hours, so either:
(a) set a scheduled start of 0000 and adjust the charge limit every time to 30% higher than current; or
(b) set a scheduled departure, and an off-peak end time of 0600, and also adjust the charge limit every time to 30% higher than current.

Only with option (b) can I use the pre-conditioning option (also: why?)

Thanks to this thread I will try the Tessie app. I tried ChargeHQ once - it didn't work at all.

Tessie seems to let me add an automation to control the start and stop time to 0000-0600, and also set pre-condition for departure, although it warns me to disable it to prevent conflict.

I've only just set it up on a trial, so I'll see how that goes. If it conflicts with pre-condition, I'll get rid of it and go back to option (b) above, because I live in a cold climate and pre-condition is important to me.

Only with option (b) can I use the pre-conditioning option (also: why?)
Scheduled Charging and Scheduled Departure - Charging are mutually exclusive in the Tesla Model Y.

Use Scheduled Charging to start charging each day at a specific time and charging will continue until the charge limit has been reached.

Use Scheduled Departure - Charging so that charging will always be completed by the time you leave home in the A.M. (Originally the Tesla Scheduled Departure - Charging function assumed that the off-peak rate window ended at 0600 (your local time.) Now you can set the end of the off-peak rate window, i.e. 0700 if that is the case or meets your schedule needs.

Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning is a Climate Control setting. In fact the Tesla Model Y does not have to be plugged in to use Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning if you want to always warm up the passenger cabin and battery as needed at the same time each day before you drive. You can set Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning to occur every day or only weekdays. You can set a second Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning time to turn on the Climate Control before you leave work at the end of the day.

Reactions: Max Spaghetti
Max:
It should get you there. if you get creative quite a few things can work together. As an example, for a while I was keeping departure charge and precondition on via tesla and using Tessie “on arrival” to force start a mild charge during the day. I would then use another Tessie automation to change charge target level so I could bring the cars charge level up just before departure. now I almost always use Tessie automations and almost never use Tesla’s app or scheduled departure. This should give you several clues If you think about it. Eg:

1). You can just plain set an automation plan to start and stop charge when you want. Same, btw, with preconditioning. simple, consistent, easy.
2. because you can also change target charge levels you could, if so desired, even leave departure charge on and simply schedule a target charge level to a low level just as your desired charge window ended. or go the other way and leave a low value until the low cost window opens and have Tessie increase it. Or do both, or.…. Fwiw I’ve found Tesla scheduled departure recalculates whenever you change charge level targets.

i now no longer schedule charges at all. I schedule charge target levels and let the car stop and start based on those. I get a specific charge level and it stops OR it stops at the time I automate the target charge level reduction. Same w preconditioning.

You do you, but for the few bucks a month it sure gives a lot of flexibility for those looking for answers. Some will of course just come to complain.

Finally, the Tessie dev, Jamie, is pretty helpful and relatively open to suggestions. Might look for that thread. I don’t see anything you ask for not already there using a variety of ways (above) but just in case…

Reactions: Max Spaghetti
i now no longer schedule charges at all. I schedule charge target levels and let the car stop and start based on those. I get a specific charge level and it stops OR it stops at the time I automate the target charge level reduction. Same w preconditioning.
Thank you, that's an "outside the box" solution that might actually work well for me.

My driving varies, working erratic shifts, but I usually consume between 20% and 40% per day. So an "average" off-peak charge 0000-0600 of 30% works for me so long as it doesn't leave the battery too low on any given day.

My off peak is 12c/kWh vs peak of 34c/kWh so there is about $1000/year saving in using off-peak.

I have an LFP battery, which I choose to charge to 70%-ish most days and then 100% maybe once per week or so as per recommendation. I usually try to schedule the 100% charge after a light day of driving (or day off) and prior to a heavy day of driving to get most of that charge via off-peak.

I could probably automate most of that via your suggestion of just setting 0600 in the Tesla off-peak departure schedule, and letting Tessie change the charge level target through an on-arrival automation that varies day by day.

In fact, I have read that Tessie can integrate with IFTTT, so I might be able to use my calendar to further automate that automation - will look into it.

I'm more than happy to pay for Tessie if it can do something useful for me - up until now I couldn't find a use for Tessie (I already have Watchla for Apple Watch which works, but I note Tessie also has an Apple Watch app).

Good Luck!

IFTT = Well, maybe you can accomplish something. I've found no IFTT triggers of interest (or any), and without them what's the point? I've spoken with IFTT support, they agree - No triggers today. I'm also a premium member = No help there either. They at least report they've added some triggers I suggested (I no longer remember) to their "suggestion list".

When I was using Off-peak charge I set some custom rates to make sure I forced it to look at windows I wanted it to use. I've no idea if that was really required for that was early in my "what works the best for us" cycle. Opinion? Not needed. But I never tested w/o it.

Tessie also allows a day by day automation, so you can literally have a different charge target per day. Might work well for you.

Art though running a low charge rate? I get 13-14% charge per hour at home. That's a 60A circuit, but even a pedestrian 30 amp circuit should be giving 6.5% per hour. It seems to me you have some financial justification to install a larger circuit. :) I started on a 30 amp myself, but the 60 gives me recovery windows short enough to allow a lot of flexibility.

ATB.
-d

You make a good point with charging rate: I’m in Australia and I’m currently using a 15A (230V) single phase outlet with the UMC. That’s about 3.5kW so gives me about 30% charge over 6 hours (in practice - when I first plug it in it often tells me less than that, but that it what I really get).

I plan to install a Wall Connector which should give me up to 32A single phase, if I can persuade the electrician to enable that on my very limited switchboard - which would double that.

BUT, I’m hoping to introduce my wife into an EV, and she would be sharing that charging. I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to get 2x 32A circuits on my very limited switchboard, so we will end up sharing 15/16A each anyway.

So my long term goal is to make 15A work, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your continued help!

I haven’t looked into IFTTT yet, it might be a dead end.

I might be away from home for a few nights. When I arrive home, say at 10am, I want the car to charge, and I'm still on off-peak hours until 3pm. I do use Scheduled Charge, for midnight, so at 10am the car will not start charging automatically. I have to make it charge manually. Not a big deal, but I can think of no good reason not have an option "charge whenever plugged in and it is my off-peak hours. Stop charging at the end of my off-peak hours".

Hope this helps you but Tesla was able to fix my exact same problem. Here’s the solution:

1. Log out of Tesla app on phone for all devices connected.
2. Delete the app
3. Reinstall the app
4. Change Tesla password for the username
5. Log in

This worked immediately for me. My model y was my second Tesla and I guess my phone app was confused between my old model 3 that I sold and disconnected with my new model y. I tried everything except changing the password and nothing helped. It was changing my app password that fixed my problem! Please let me know if this helps you guys!

Hope this helps you but Tesla was able to fix my exact same problem. Here’s the solution:

1. Log out of Tesla app on phone for all devices connected.
2. Delete the app
3. Reinstall the app
4. Change Tesla password for the username
5. Log in

This worked immediately for me. My model y was my second Tesla and I guess my phone app was confused between my old model 3 that I sold and disconnected with my new model y. I tried everything except changing the password and nothing helped. It was changing my app password that fixed my problem! Please let me know if this helps you guys!
Thanks. This worked for me. Recently (I’m assuming after an update), my Model Y wouldn’t do off peak charging anymore. I occasionally take long road trips where I want it to charge to 90% or greater and finish at the time I leave. I used to be able to set the off peak end time to my departure time and all was well but lately it’s just need charging immediately regardless of what I set for off peak time end. This fixed it. Thanks.

I might be away from home for a few nights. When I arrive home, say at 10am, I want the car to charge, and I'm still on off-peak hours until 3pm. I do use Scheduled Charge, for midnight, so at 10am the car will not start charging automatically. I have to make it charge manually. Not a big deal, but I can think of no good reason not have an option "charge whenever plugged in and it is my off-peak hours. Stop charging at the end of my off-peak hours".
One good reason for not charging as soon as plugged in, is overall battery life preservation. By setting a departure time, you avoid your car sitting for long periods at a high SOC. Unless I mash the start charge button, my car never charges upon plug in. It automatically begins charging in the wee hours of the morning to end by the time I'm leaving for work. My car usually sits with < 50% charge.

I have the following settings:
  • Departure 3pm
  • Off Peak Charge On
  • Off Peak End time 3pm

I arrived home at 2:30pm with 65% SOC and 75% SOC target charge. I expected the car to start charging and stop at 3pm. However the car continued to charge past 3pm resulting in charging during peak time.

What am I missing?

• Departure 3pm
  • Off Peak Charge On
  • Off Peak End time 3pm

I arrived home at 2:30pm with 65% SOC and 75% SOC target charge. I expected the car to start charging and stop at 3pm. However the car continued to charge past 3pm resulting in charging during peak time.

What am I missing?
Do you have the Tesla Wall Connector with the latest firmware? When using the Wall Connector w/latest firmware you can set the off-peak charging window(s).

Tesla's Scheduled Departure - Charging (that you set within the Tesla vehicle or via the Tesla app) has always been pretty flakey especially when you attempt to set an off-peak charging time that ends after noon. You may have better luck with the Wall Connector settings or else use 3rd party software (Teslafi, Teslamate, Tessie, etc.)

With our 2021 Model 3P, we had two solid years of dependable charging via a set departure time of 5am, using the Tesla mobile charger plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. We didn't bother with "Off-Peak Charge" because our rate is the same 7x24. With our new 2023 Model YLR, we had a few days of successful charging using the same approach. Then, out of nowhere, the car stopped charging for said departure time. Just stopped charging overnight at all. So, we switched to telling the car to start charging at midnight. That worked just fine. Not what we really wanted, but it worked. Now that we've upgraded to a Tesla Wall Connector for charging, we'll try once again for departure scheduling to see whether that makes a difference. We'll also enable "off-peak charge" ending at 5AM, because per our power company if we had off-peak rates they'd end at 5AM. We shall see what happens.

• Departure 3pm
  • Off Peak Charge On
  • Off Peak End time 3pm

What am I missing?
I believe what you are seeing is the intended behaviour.

By setting a 3pm off peak end time, it will try to schedule the charge to commence such that it reaches your target charge by 3pm.

Because you only started charging at 2.30pm, it did not have time to reach your target charge by 3pm, so it started charging immediately. By 3pm, it still was not at target charge, so it kept charging.

It will prioritise your target charge over the off-peak end time, assuming the target charge is more important than the energy costs. It would be nice if they gave us a selectable option to prioritise off-peak end time, but they don't.

If you want it to stop at 3pm regardless of SOC, there is no simple way to do it, but here's a couple of workarounds:

1. The way I do it sometimes is roughly work out how much charge it will add by end of off-peak, based on rate of charge. For example, in your case, I don't know your charger setup, but if you are charging at 6kW with a 60kWh battery, that's about 10% per hour, so add 5% to the current SOC and set that (so 60% in your case). This won't be a precise method, and you'll need to modify it every time.

2. Another way to do it is with automations in iPhone (or the Android equivalent). Set up an automation at 3pm every day to either "stop charging" or "set charge limit to [lower value eg 50%]". Lowering the charge limit will cause it to stop charging if it's above that limit. I don't find automations to be 100% reliable - every now and then the message doesn't make it to the vehicle. But they work most of the time.

I believe what you are seeing is the intended behaviour.

By setting a 3pm off peak end time, it will try to schedule the charge to commence such that it reaches your target charge by 3pm.

Because you only started charging at 2.30pm, it did not have time to reach your target charge by 3pm, so it started charging immediately. By 3pm, it still was not at target charge, so it kept charging.

It will prioritise your target charge over the off-peak end time, assuming the target charge is more important than the energy costs. It would be nice if they gave us a selectable option to prioritise off-peak end time, but they don't.

If you want it to stop at 3pm regardless of SOC, there is no simple way to do it, but here's a couple of workarounds:

1. The way I do it sometimes is roughly work out how much charge it will add by end of off-peak, based on rate of charge. For example, in your case, I don't know your charger setup, but if you are charging at 6kW with a 60kWh battery, that's about 10% per hour, so add 5% to the current SOC and set that (so 60% in your case). This won't be a precise method, and you'll need to modify it every time.

2. Another way to do it is with automations in iPhone (or the Android equivalent). Set up an automation at 3pm every day to either "stop charging" or "set charge limit to [lower value eg 50%]". Lowering the charge limit will cause it to stop charging if it's above that limit. I don't find automations to be 100% reliable - every now and then the message doesn't make it to the vehicle. But they work most of the time.
Thanks for the tip. Agree we should get an option to not charge at peak hours.

I will give the automation a try