Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla scheduled departure/off-peak charging not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have the latest software loaded on the car and it seems like scheduled departure with off peak charging is not working. To my knowledge, the charging stats function on the app is just for informational purposes only and does not dictate when the car starts to charge. I've set off peak charging and scheduled departure at 7:00 AM. My TOU rates has peak times between 4:00PM to 9:00 PM. I set the off peak end time at 4:00 PM in the car. But for some reason, if I plug the car in at 7:00 PM, it starts charging immediately. How come there is no setting to set the off peak START time? Am I setting something wrong? In today's instance, I plugged in the car at 7:00 PM with 25% charge left and it began to charge immediately. Please advise.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
There are two delayed charging options:

Scheduled Charging - to charge each evening starting at a specific time
Scheduled Departure - to determine when to start charging so that the Tesla Model Y will always complete charging by the departure time when you plan to leave.

Of the two settings Scheduled Departure is preferable especially in winter. The Tesla Model Y's battery will already be partially warmed from charging by the departure time so you won't use additional energy to warm up the passenger cabin, may not to use any additional energy to warm the battery.

The delayed charging settings have always been fragile and finicky. Scheduled Charging is easier to master but as noted Scheduled Departure is the more efficient option.

The Tesla charging settings have difficulty when setting off-peak time ending after the A.M. hours. I would not attempt to try and set the Tesla software to understand a 4 PM end of off-peak time.

You can also set these settings via the Tesla app, but don't set them up on more than one place or on more than one phone.

Related, but really a Climate Control setting, is Scheduled Departure Preconditioning. This will turn on the Climate Control and warm the passenger cabin (including the front seats and steering wheel if these heater functions are set to Auto.) You can set this to happen Monday - Friday or All Week. The Preconditioning function takes into account the Scheduled Departure time.

Any 3rd party apps that are installed to take off-peak rate periods into consideration when charging will likely make the delayed charging settings function even less reliable.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
kevinF1990. My scheduled departure charging isn't working as well. I was just updated to 2022.36.6. As a matter of fact - even with scheduled departure turned off - it still charges for about 5 minutes and shuts off...annoying. I've had the car for a year - it's not a setting issue. I rebooted and will see what happens tonight

The delayed charging settings have always been fragile and finicky.
I strongly disagree with that. Don't lump them together. Scheduled start time has been in place for MANY years and has been rock solid and basically foolproof and always does exactly what it says and only what it says and exactly what people would expect. Hard to go wrong with that one.

It was only when they added those two additional ones with departure and off peak that it became a giant jumbled mess, with the pathetic interface making it even more confusing trying to figure out what could or couldn't be used with what and even not being able to tell what setting the car was actually on. That's when it became bad.

You can choose Schedule Charge or Schedule Departure, but not both.

If you set a Schedule Charge the car will start charging at the set time. For example, it you set it to 10 pm and plug the car in at say 8 pm, the car will not start to charge until 10 pm, it will then continue to charge until the car reaches the SOC you have set.

Schedule Departure has two settings, each with its own time. Off-peak charging (misleading name) tells the car what time you want it to finish charging. For example, if you set it to 5 AM and plug in the car at 8 PM, the car checks the available charge rate (does a small charge to get this), and it looks at the current SOC and the desired SOC. The car will then automatically start charging at a time so the car reaches the desired SOC at the time you have set (actually about 15-minutes prior.) The other option is pre-conditioning. If you choose this the car battery and cabin will be warmed or cooled so you are ready to go at the chosen time! Note that selecting schedule departure by itself does nothing. You must also select off-peak or preconditioning, or both.

Reactions: DanDi58
You can choose Schedule Charge or Schedule Departure, but not both.

If you set a Schedule Charge the car will start charging at the set time. For example, it you set it to 10 pm and plug the car in at say 8 pm, the car will not start to charge until 10 pm, it will then continue to charge until the car reaches the SOC you have set.

Schedule Departure has two settings, each with its own time. Off-peak charging (misleading name) tells the car what time you want it to finish charging. For example, if you set it to 5 AM and plug in the car at 8 PM, the car checks the available charge rate (does a small charge to get this), and it looks at the current SOC and the desired SOC. The car will then automatically start charging at a time so the car reaches the desired SOC at the time you have set (actually about 15-minutes prior.) The other option is pre-conditioning. If you choose this the car battery and cabin will be warmed or cooled so you are ready to go at the chosen time! Note that selecting schedule departure by itself does nothing. You must also select off-peak or preconditioning, or both.
The Preconditioning function is also found under the Climate Control settings, has nothing to do with charging. You can set Preconditioning to happen each day whether or not the Tesla Model Y is plugged in prior to preconditioning. A reason why you might do this is that you want the Tesla Model Y to precondition each morning before you leave for your commute. You might not normally charge at home during the week if you have charging available at your workplace.

Schedule Departure has two settings, each with its own time. Off-peak charging (misleading name) tells the car what time you want it to finish charging. For example, if you set it to 5 AM and plug in the car at 8 PM, the car checks the available charge rate (does a small charge to get this), and it looks at the current SOC and the desired SOC. The car will then automatically start charging at a time so the car reaches the desired SOC at the time you have set (actually about 15-minutes prior.)
How does the car knows what charge rate is?

How does the car knows what charge rate is?
The Tesla Model Y will usually default to the last used charge rate for this location, i.e. Home, Work or Other. The maximum charge rate is determined by the charging station, i.e. Tesla Wall Connector or Tesla Mobile Connector or other charging station equipment. When charging using Level 2 (240V) at a new location the Tesla Model Y will default to 48 amps. The charging station will limit the maximum charging rate depending on the charging circuit amperage rating, i.e. charging at 240V and 48 amps requires a 60 amp circuit.

This is all ridiculously complicated. All I need is “always charge during off-peak period, and never charge when peak period.”
Leave it to Tesla to make something easy become overly complicated for no good reason unfortunately. I’m with you - make it simple - provide a start and end time for the off peak period under the Scheduled Charging tab - and then provide the option for preconditioning under that same tab along with a time set for preconditioning. There’s no reason to have two tabs here in my view - it just creates confusion that isn’t needed. Whomever designs the UX at Tesla needs to be fired - and they need to hire real UX experts instead. If they want to provide better options to set weekdays/weekends on a rolling basis that would be a useful feature. For example, many people don’t work just weekdays. My wife is a nurse and works a two week rolling schedule - currently we have enable/disable preconditioning manually to compensate for her schedule. Tesla could do a lot better when it comes to taking into account real world owner experiences across the board when designing their software.

I tested the theory above about the wall connector only charging for a few minutes after connecting to my Tesla Wall Connector to “set the charge rate” and this is not what happened in my case. I have the following departure settings in the screenshot below. I plugged in after my wife arrived home around 6:00 PM and the car immediately started charging. I stopped the charging and reseated the cable and it immediately started again. I decided to wait about 15 minutes and come back - yep still charging! So it’s a software issue of some kind or perhaps a handshaking issue between the wall connector and the vehicle. All I know is it’s not working like it should. It worked just fine the two nights before with no issues - then suddenly it doesn’t work right on the third night? Makes no sense. Welcome to Tesla ownership I suppose. 😎

CCA2CADC-80E9-442E-BC39-4C8D65ED7ABF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: sfRonH
The Tesla Model Y will usually default to the last used charge rate for this location, i.e. Home, Work or Other. The maximum charge rate is determined by the charging station, i.e. Tesla Wall Connector or Tesla Mobile Connector or other charging station equipment. When charging using Level 2 (240V) at a new location the Tesla Model Y will default to 48 amps. The charging station will limit the maximum charging rate depending on the charging circuit amperage rating, i.e. charging at 240V and 48 amps requires a 60 amp circuit.
I meant the cost as in rates for electricity to decide when it's over the peak cost setup by me vs non-peak

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
My charging seems stable now except in one case. I have it set to start at 00:15hrs, lower rates. If I drive home at say 13:00, and it’s still my low rate period, I tell the car to start charging. I set an alarm on my iPhone for 14:57 so I can then stop the charging before the rate increase at 15:00.

Hoops, yes, I’m jumping through hoops.

Case that fails: when I install an update, and the car is plugged in, it starts to charge immediately after, and it’s at the expensive rate. I forgot to jump through that hoop recently.

This is all ridiculously complicated. All I need is “always charge during off-peak period, and never charge when peak period.”
That leads to a potential over-constrained problem, wherein you've specified a specific amount of energy you need (the delta between your current charge level and the desired one) and the time period allotted for the delivery of that energy ("during off-peak period") but you haven't accounted for the rate at which the energy can be delivered.

In other words, what is the car to do if the time required to charge exceeds the time it's allowed to charge? Do you (a) start charging early to reach the desired charge level, (b) accept a lower state of charge in order to stay within the time limit, or (c) continue charging past the end time?

That's why it does not offer the option to set both at once.

Case that fails: when I install an update, and the car is plugged in, it starts to charge immediately after, and it’s at the expensive rate. I forgot to jump through that hoop recently.

Discovered that "bug" last week; thanks for the confirmation. I'll have to make a mental note to not do updates when plugged in.

Leave it to Tesla to make something easy become overly complicated for no good reason unfortunately. I’m with you - make it simple - provide a start and end time for the off peak period under the Scheduled Charging tab - and then provide the option for preconditioning under that same tab along with a time set for preconditioning. There’s no reason to have two tabs here in my view - it just creates confusion that isn’t needed. Whomever designs the UX at Tesla needs to be fired - and they need to hire real UX experts instead. If they want to provide better options to set weekdays/weekends on a rolling basis that would be a useful feature. For example, many people don’t work just weekdays. My wife is a nurse and works a two week rolling schedule - currently we have enable/disable preconditioning manually to compensate for her schedule. Tesla could do a lot better when it comes to taking into account real world owner experiences across the board when designing their software.

I tested the theory above about the wall connector only charging for a few minutes after connecting to my Tesla Wall Connector to “set the charge rate” and this is not what happened in my case. I have the following departure settings in the screenshot below. I plugged in after my wife arrived home around 6:00 PM and the car immediately started charging. I stopped the charging and reseated the cable and it immediately started again. I decided to wait about 15 minutes and come back - yep still charging! So it’s a software issue of some kind or perhaps a handshaking issue between the wall connector and the vehicle. All I know is it’s not working like it should. It worked just fine the two nights before with no issues - then suddenly it doesn’t work right on the third night? Makes no sense. Welcome to Tesla ownership I suppose. 😎

View attachment 926137
This is exactly what is happening to me (first attempt at this strategy). I set a departure time of 8:00 am, plugged in at 5:30pm today, and charging immediately starts. If it keeps charging, it will finish far before the departure time. I will check the log overnight to see what happened.

Not to trivialize those that are having problems, but I use scheduled departure from time to time and have zero issues w/it. I found it simple to enough to use. I did set three custom rate "windows" to force it to prefer later morning and then to back into middle of the night hours when needed. But that may not have been needed. It always seemed to reverse engineer charge rate, SoC, and desired SoC to get a Just in Time result.

My only issue is I can't use ABC and departure charge (To a higher level) to coexist. You can get really really close with Tessie automations, but not quite perfect.

For all the complaints I've noted above I would simply use Tessie automations to control what I wanted and at what times and be done w/it.

BTW, Scheduled Departure will ALWAYS charge for a minute or so when you plug in. It's checking your charge rate and calculating if it can stop or not, and if so for how long.

This is exactly what is happening to me (first attempt at this strategy). I set a departure time of 8:00 am, plugged in at 5:30pm today, and charging immediately starts. If it keeps charging, it will finish far before the departure time.
That's because the "Departure time" setting is a climate control setting. It's not related to charge scheduling. Yes, the wording is confusing. The one you want is the off peak times, and you can set the off peak time end, and that should begin charging at some point to end at that end point.

Or the one that makes sense and says exactly what it does and always works right and does what you expect is simply setting the charge start time.

For all the complaints I've noted above I would simply use Tessie automations to control what I wanted and at what times and be done w/it.
This is what I ended up doing to bypass the limitations of the Tesla app. One of the other annoying limitations of the Tesla app is that you can only manipulate these settings when the vehicle is actually at the location in question. Oftentimes my wife wants to set her "Work" location settings when the vehicle is still home, while she's thinking about it. She's a nurse and once she arrives at her location, she's on her feet and working for minimum nine hours at a time and none of the medical staff and permitted to use their phones when working. Their phones must always be out of sight/not in their hands at all times, so my wife simply leaves her phone in her locker/purse and uses her Apple Watch - which is another gripe - Tesla doesn't have a watch app. Tessie sure does though - which is why we use Tessie now. You can also set up and change automations for any location in Tessie at any time.

Stepping back for a second - there are basically two ways to build and produce products. You can do what Tesla does, leveraging vertical integration for the most part, or you can diversify and leverage various vendors to build parts, and basically just be in the business of assembly. That's what the legacy auto manufacturers do for the most part. It's the difference between "best of breed" vs "integrative" approach. While integrative has some nice benefits, as Tesla has demonstrated, it also has some pitfalls, one of which is that you have limited resources to "do" everything, therefore an increasing number of benefits go unaddressed due to resource constraints. There's something to be said for specialization in other words. One example that many of us have experienced - problems with automatic wipers. In legacy automobiles, this "problem" largely doesn't exist. That's because the vendors that build the parts to provide wiper automation - have it pretty much down pat and have for many years now. My 2018 RAM 1500 pickup has automated wipers - in my five years of ownership - never once had an issue with this system not working as designed - with almost zero issues over that five year time period. They have basically worked flawlessly. On the other hand, the Tesla automated wipers routinely engage with no precipitation in sight, don't engage sufficiently with light precipitation, and engage too quickly to "high" wiper speed with only moderate precipitation. We therefore we see a lot of reported issues regarding the automated wipers not working well. Limited resources trying to do everything within a system that controls everything has it's downside as well is all I'm saying. It's not all roses.

Tesla should simply buy Tessie - and let the guy that runs Tessie - own the UI and manage the Tesla app - and leave him alone and let him continue to directly interact with owners to improve the UI experience persistently over time via established feedback mechanisms.

B. Like I said, all *I* need is “always charge during off-peak period, and never charge when peak period.” I certainly am not unique in this.
I agree. I'm looking for the same thing when charging at home, and still surprised that Tesla still can't come up with good interface to allow us simply schedule in between two "time".

These days I'm not using my Tesla charger when at home. I'm starting using my old EVSE Level 2 JuiceBox, with the converter. In JuiceBox, I can schedule my off-peak period from 12:05 AM to 7:45 AM, (In this way, I shouldn't have to do anything in Tesla, however, I still add both of Departure Time and Off-Peak End Time at 7:40 AM.)

And, I can only charge approximately 60-65 kWh daily during this time. So, if I need more juice, I'll have to split into 2-days event. Or, just ignore this off-peak thing.

I hope to switch back to Tesla charger in the future. I just hate to use the converter when using SAE J1772.

B. Like I said, all *I* need is “always charge during off-peak period, and never charge when peak period.” I certainly am not unique in this.

However, both seem to be missing something simple. If you want it to charge at only peak times and NOT ensure it charges to it's full objective then stop using off-peak charging. It's not for you. This is clearly defined in the owners manual. Instead you should simple use "Scheduled Charge" start and set that time to your off-peak start time.

If you find that schedule not flexible for you, lets say only on certain days, or you want it to stop at a select time, then use "Tessie" automations as I've already mention.

Note this is charger independent and only specific charge stop and stop times. For that matter, as many per day or week as you want. You can even set charge levels you want to charge to for different days.

Tessie is cheap & flexible and James (developer) is pretty responsive.

Reactions: HitchHiker71