Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla secretly modified my order and assigned me an inventory car instead of a new production car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people understand that, but the car wasn't the same "batch" as he ordered. If the car was identical in spec to the car they ordered then not a problem.
If the colors, wheels, seats and motors match, then it’s a match. Whether it’s hw3 or 4 or has other changes doesn’t really enter that equation. It’s pretty much that simplistic.

And even if it’s slightly mismatched (maybe different wheels etc), Tesla sometimes will reach out and ask if you want one they already have.

Lumbar supports or parking sensors or matrix lights or whatever never enter their system’s algorithm.

Not saying it’s right or wrong, just that’s how it works right now.

Reactions: arbitrage000
If the colors, wheels, seats and motors match, then it’s a match. Whether it’s hw3 or 4 or has other changes doesn’t really enter that equation. It’s pretty much that simplistic.

And even if it’s slightly mismatched (maybe different wheels etc), Tesla sometimes will reach out and ask if you want one they already have.

Lumbar supports or parking sensors or matrix lights or whatever never enter their system’s algorithm.

Not saying it’s right or wrong, just that’s how it works right now.
Have we said anything different? We both agree Tesla don’t distinguish between the lower level stuff, but buyers do, especially when they order new because of new upgrades (HW4, Ryzen, Radar going then returning, etc) and then get given a car that predates the changes. It’s a harsh standpoint to not have at least some sympathy with the buyer.

Have we said anything different? We both agree Tesla don’t distinguish between the lower level stuff, but buyers do, especially when they order new because of new upgrades (HW4, Ryzen, Radar going then returning, etc) and then get given a car that predates the changes. It’s a harsh standpoint to not have at least some sympathy with the buyer.

Oh no, please don’t misread what I’m saying….

I’m just going thru the facts of “how we got here”, not “should we be here?”

Two *entirely* different things! I completely understand and agree — if I order a car with HW4, there’s no way I’d accept HW3, for example. It’s unfortunate that’s how Tesla does their matching, so please reject the car and make them deliver one spec’d the way you want.

Sorry if you thought I was unsympathetic — absolutely not. I’m a latest n greatest tech guy so I’d be upset too!

Was just explain how simple Tesla’s system is. It’s a stark contrast to many other manufacturers.

For example, I toured BMW’s plant in SC several years ago. Every vehicle off the line is built to individual spec, one by one. To the point where, for example, when a Michelin truck comes in, it has a 5 minute arrival window, AND the tires are loaded on the truck in the exact order the cars are being built. So if Fred’s car has 19” wheels, then Bill’s has 18”, and Mike’s has 22” — that’s the order they’re loaded in the truck.

So different from Tesla, and if that’s what you’re used to, it’s very jarring!

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
I would cancel the order and re-order, this is shady and illegal....I was looking at an X until I realized it only comes with the crappy 2016 LED headlights, that got a poor rating - MX LED Headlights, VERY disappointing. I would also get a new sales rep, your current one could have at least called you and asked which course of action you wanted for your $130K car...

You might considering switching to a Matrix Headlights, HW4, Ultra Red, Model S, which is what I am considering, but I am going to wait until Tesla cleans out the inventory of black caliper, HW3's before I take a chance and offers me a better incentive to do so. I think getting Ultra Red avoids the bait and switch you just experienced, as it is a newly introduced color for 2023. It is also highly illegal in the US with stiff fines. Penalty Offenses Concerning Bait & Switch

Tesla has slipped from the bespoke days of treating S and X customers like they used to be valued. Get in line with the mass produced 3 and Y and suck it. If Tesla want to clean out the old generation tech (LED headlights, black calipers, HW3), give free supercharging for life or at least for the warranty period and they will move.

SYNOPSIS OF FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION DECISIONS CONCERNING “BAIT AND SWITCH” SALES PRACTICES
The Federal Trade Commission has determined that “bait and switch” practices are unfair or deceptive trade practices and are unlawful under Section 5 (a)

• (1) of the Federal Trade Commission Act. “Bait and switch” is the advertising of a product without the bona fide intention to sell it, for the purpose of establishing contact with a prospective customer in order to induce or “switch” him to purchase another product. This is achieved through a variety of practices designed to discourage the sale of the advertised product at the advertised price. 1/.
  • It is an unfair or deceptive trade practice to disparage an advertised product for the purpose of “switching” a customer to the purchase of another product. 2/
  • It is an unfair or deceptive trade practice to advertise a product whose actual appearance or performance discourages its purchase by being below the quality implied or represented in the advertising. 3/
  • It is an unfair or deceptive trade practice to “switch” a customer to the higher priced product by refusing to show or to sell the advertised product. 4/
  • It is an unfair or deceptive trade practice to “switch” a customer by claiming that the advertised product is unavailable or by failing to have the advertised product available in reasonable quantity. 5/
  • It is an unfair or deceptive trade practice to “switch” a customer by refusing to take orders for delivery or failing to make delivery, if an order is taken, within a reasonable period of time. 6/
  • The existence of bait and switch schemes may also be evidenced by the following factors:
    • whether in fact there were a significant number of sales of the advertised product at the advertised price; 7
    • whether salesmen received commissions on the sale of the advertised product or whether their commissions on such product were lower than for other products 8/
    • or whether there were large advertising expenditures for a product whose sales were minimal. 9/
  • The Federal Trade Commission works for consumers to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices and to provide information to help spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish, visit the FTC's online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357).
  • Report Fraud

Last edited: