Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla secretly modified my order and assigned me an inventory car instead of a new production car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lucid

Mar 5, 2023
Earth
I placed an MXP order a few weeks ago.
The expected delivery date went from February to March and then became TBD.
When I placed the order, on the order details page, the car had red brake calipers (Yes, I know these are just red plastic covers.)
Yesterday, I suddenly found that the red calipers in the screenshot of my order page were gone.
I thought I was misremembering, and maybe the red calipers never appeared in this picture. But then I remembered that I received a "Confirming your Model X update" email from Tesla not long ago, and I realized something fishy might have happened.

1678048162831.png

So I checked the URL of the image in the order detail page, it's something like

This URL format means that there is a connection between the picture and the car's configuration. You get different pictures with different option codes.

Then I checked the 2 emails I received from Tesla:

1678049563717.jpeg

Now I realize that the disappearance of the red calipers was not a hallucination on my part. They did modified my order. Then I digged into the option codes in the email:
The only difference is that the left has WX01 and the right has WX00
Google shows that WX00 means 20" Cyberstream Wheels and WX01 is unknown.

Tesla would not send me an Email just to modify a picture, so the only reasonable explanation is that when I ordered the car, my option code was from new production cars. Then they found a previously produced car from the inventory and wanted to assign it to me.

I don't want to accuse Tesla of doing it wrong because the cars in inventory are also new (if it's true that they never reassign someone else's rejection). My point of this post is that if you recently ordered a Model X and you want a new factory car instead of an inventory car, pay extra attention to your order. At this moment, the difference is huge, new production cars are likely to be equipped with HW4 and upgraded cameras, and inventory is likely to be only HW3 and not upgradable to HW4.

I placed an MXP order a few weeks ago.
The expected delivery date went from February to March and then became TBD.
When I placed the order, on the order details page, the car had red brake calipers (Yes, I know these are just red plastic covers.)
Yesterday, I suddenly found that the red calipers in the screenshot of my order page were gone.
I thought I was misremembering, and maybe the red calipers never appeared in this picture. But then I remembered that I received a "Confirming your Model X update" email from Tesla not long ago, and I realized something fishy might have happened.

View attachment 914165

So I checked the URL of the image in the order detail page, it's something like

This URL format means that there is a connection between the picture and the car's configuration. You get different pictures with different option codes.

Then I checked the 2 emails I received from Tesla:

View attachment 914176

Now I realize that the disappearance of the red calipers was not a hallucination on my part. They did modified my order. Then I digged into the option codes in the email:
The only difference is that the left has WX01 and the right has WX00
Google shows that WX00 means 20" Cyberstream Wheels and WX01 is unknown.

Tesla would not send me an Email just to modify a picture, so the only reasonable explanation is that when I ordered the car, my option code was from new production cars. Then they found a previously produced car from the inventory and wanted to assign it to me.

I don't want to accuse Tesla of doing it wrong because the cars in inventory are also new (if it's true that they never reassign someone else's rejection). My point of this post is that if you recently ordered a Model X and you want a new factory car instead of an inventory car, pay extra attention to your order. At this moment, the difference is huge, new production cars are likely to be equipped with HW4 and upgraded cameras, and inventory is likely to be only HW3 and not upgradable to HW4.
Thanks for sharing. I personally can't believe the company is doing things like this...

Looks like wx00 and wx01 are both cyberstream, there’s possibly a minor tweak to the design, tire differences are shown by different codes.

I think I’d be checking on hw3 or hw4 which you can’t easily tell. Nearest I’ve seen to give a clue is this which suggests a “best guess” of the change happening around vin 380000, but as they say it is an educated guess based on the data they have.

Reactions: Flux Xu
If you order a certain specification and Tesla has a new car in that config in stock at your location of course they will assign it to you. Why would you think otherwise?

I understand not wanting the cars with HW3 and wanting to wait for a HW4 car but Tesla isn't doing anything nefarious by assigning you a matching new car out of existing stock. Just reject that VIN and tell Tesla you will wait for a HW4 VIN. They can easily pass that HW3 VIN onto some other customer. I'm sure for every one customer that follows Tesla close enough to know about HW3 vs HW4 there are another 99 that don't have a clue.

Last edited:
Crazy that they're doing crap like this. I placed an order at the beginning of February and I'm taking delivery of a HW4 X Plaid tomorrow. I have a feeling that it may have something to do with the fact that I ordered the wheel and not a yolk. Did you order with a yolk?
Send a picture of the wheel please! I pick mine up on Saturday with the wheel but I’m curious.

Or it's just a picture in a an automated process. Ask the rep if you have HW4 and reject if it does not. And wait.
As others have said. I don't think anybody's out to get you. Yes be diligent. but easy to reject order if it's not up to your spec.

what happens after you get HW4 car delivered. and they add lidar sensors, now you will say they trick you into picking HW4. it's never ending.
I guess it comes with the territory with Tesla constantly making changes. I lost $20k in value picking up my X Plaid last sept instead of waiting till now.

-ThinkMac-

Reactions: Prodock
I agree 100%. Tesla from some owners feedback may act like a "shady" car dealership.

Nothing shady about it. No matter what you think, placing an order does NOT generate a custom factory build “just for you” like many other manufacturers.

All it does is put you on a list to be matched up with the spec you ordered.

Tesla builds in batches. So for example, they’ll build, say, 1000 cars with “white exterior, white interior, 20” wheels and 6 seats.” Tomorrow they’ll build “blue/white, 22” wheels, 5 seats”

So on and so forth. That’s why actual physical hardware options are so limited — each one creates a new “batch”

Once a batch that meets your spec is available, they just assign a VIN to your name. No more, no less.

If there’s one in inventory already, boom, almost instant match.

The whole build system is designed that way. It’s not shady, it’s not nefarious, it’s just matching the right spec to the right person. And those specs are that granular (color, seats, wheels, motors) — it doesn’t say “red caliper covers” or “small 2nd row display bezel” …

So if it has the small stuff you don’t want, just reject it, tell them to put you to the back of the line for your specs, and just wait till one comes available with what you want.

Nothing shady about it. No matter what you think, placing an order does NOT generate a custom factory build “just for you” like many other manufacturers.

All it does is put you on a list to be matched up with the spec you ordered.

Tesla builds in batches. So for example, they’ll build, say, 1000 cars with “white exterior, white interior, 20” wheels and 6 seats.” Tomorrow they’ll build “blue/white, 22” wheels, 5 seats”

So on and so forth. That’s why actual physical hardware options are so limited — each one creates a new “batch”

Once a batch that meets your spec is available, they just assign a VIN to your name. No more, no less.

If there’s one in inventory already, boom, almost instant match.

The whole build system is designed that way. It’s not shady, it’s not nefarious, it’s just matching the right spec to the right person. And those specs are that granular (color, seats, wheels, motors) — it doesn’t say “red caliper covers” or “small 2nd row display bezel” …

So if it has the small stuff you don’t want, just reject it, tell them to put you to the back of the line for your specs, and just wait till one comes available with what you want.
Most people understand that, but the car wasn't the same "batch" as he ordered. If the car was identical in spec to the car they ordered then not a problem.

I think the issue is more a case of Tesla make continual changes and they change bits almost at will, and often without any formal communication. Generally thats in our interest, but not always,. They dropped itmes like passenger lumbar support as an example, parking sensors another, Teslas definition of what you ordered should be enshrined in the details communicated on the wider website, and arguably any feature differences in a car you might test drive also explained, whicn tyhey do with mixed success. When you order, that is what you get, for better or worse. Tesla seem to operate on the "you order a blue car with a black interior" and thats as far as they go, Europe had an issue with the M3 Long Range a few years ago where they stuck in slightly smaller batteries resulting in something like 15 miles less range as another example.

The manufacturing industry, not just automotive, has a well defined protocol for having fixed configurations that run for a while and then change in a deliberate way. Tesla now have so many subtly different builds that they frequently run into software glitches that require custom releases for a handful of cars (all those xx.xx.xx.200 type release numbers are typical examples), as they simply can't regression test every combination of car. and fix on fail Model years are the traditional way to do this, rolling up changes into one annual release, and running changes during the year are a matter of last resort. Tesla do seem to be moving this way, but the cut over still feels more linked to when a parts bin is empty rather than a deliberate "on this day we change". The Tesla way is efficient for them, and most of the time good for us, but it's not univeral.