Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sent me a refund check that bounced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a S last Sept (privately) so I decided to cancel my 3. I got my $2500 (the downpayment for the configuration) back on my card but they told me they HAVE to send me a check for my original $1000 that I paid to reserve the 3 on Aug (2017). So after asking for it every week and various escalation processes, I finally got it last week (5 months after my initial request) and I swiftly deposited it. I looked at my account the next day and it looked like it went into my account without any issue. Just looked at my bank account today and I see a $12 fee along with "returned deposit item". I call my bank and they say that Tesla blocked the transaction from occurring resulting in me receiving a bounced fee.

I called today in order to get a response and they now have nobody you can speak to over the phone regarding refund issues. The only thing you can do is a chat line from their support page or emailing them. I've waited over an hour to get in touch with someone on chat, although it has said I'm first in line for 50 minutes. I got a email response today that just gave me the typical apology and to confirm my address.

This is absolutely infuriating, like others I've wasted so many hours trying to get things correct with this company and they really fail to deliver when it comes to customer service. Already filed a complaint with BBB, next step is AG. Anyone else having to go thru this nonsense just get back their money back?

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
OP said the check was for the original $1K deposit.

Seems to be a number of bounced checks people are facing lately... not talking about Tesla, but some people in Calif who applied for their clean air credit from the state got bad checks from PG&E who was responsible for handling the distribution (issue caused by bankruptcy freezing all accounts initially and they are reimbursing for the return deposit fee). Just this month my husband found an old health insurance company check he never presented for payment, called the company to ask if it needed to be reissued. They said no go ahead and deposit. Wasn't honored and he's had to send the insurance company his bank info showing he got charged for a $12 for return deposit item fee so they can reimburse him for it. Yeah it sucks, extra work on your part that shouldn't have been necessary. But don't see anyone going to the BBB or AG to file complaints.

There are a number of posts I've read on TMC about people getting cancelled deposit money back. Some get processed quickly others not so but this is the first original deposit that I've heard was a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
How Ordering Works
"Completing your order requires your contact information and a $2,500 order payment."
(Don't order and pay "order payment" for what you don't want)

side note:
Changes to your order <72 hours - after 3 days a $500 change order fee is charged.

PS - good old days bounced check fees only to the writer of the check - $2 ??
Court case had shown that was all the "cost" the banker could justify.
As "deregulation" crept in fees went up for all kinds of things.
Once we had limits on interest fees - many at 7% - now about 29% on most credit cards, right?
Why would I hate banks? you?

AND banks used to pay you interest for your savings kept at the bank, so they could make money lending it.
oh, the good old days ... don't get me wrong, they weren't perfect.

Last edited:
I am surprised how you got the non-refundable $2500 down payment back? I presume you selected your configuration while paying the $2500 down payment. Because at that time you cannot cancel and get the $2500 + $1000 back. Atleast thats what they told me when I did my order.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando