Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that this is just dragging along. The case number is '1:16-cv-01158' if you'd like to look it up. Updates on hearings and motions are posted here:

There is an article at Law360 that was recently placed online...

Tesla Wants Lobbying Info In Direct Auto Sales Fight
By John Kennedy, April 17, 2017
Tesla Inc. on Friday said there's no reason to keep it from seeing information about lobbying efforts by three Michigan auto dealers who plan to testify in support of a ban on manufacturers selling vehicles directly to consumers — a ban Tesla sees as creating an unconstitutional monopoly.

The California-based company is fighting a two-and-a-half-year-old state law ordering that all new car sales be done through franchised dealers, a requirement Tesla says is irrational and only serves to insulate Michigan's auto dealers and manufacturers from competition...

• Informative
Reactions: DaDr00
Absolutely, this takes time - regardless of any reality distortion fields. It's a tricky balance. They don't want a whole bunch of expensive assets and people sitting idle if the rollout happens more slowly than expected. Nor do they want to get caught flat-footed. But they'll probably err on the side of being caught flat-footed because that is the financially safer route.
They're already being caught flat-footed. The employees at the service centers are doing their best -- I think -- but there aren't enough service centers, and by "not enough" I mean they need at least twice as many in the US alone, and the service centers are overbooked as well.

Reactions: Gt1948
They're already being caught flat-footed. The employees at the service centers are doing their best -- I think -- but there aren't enough service centers, and by "not enough" I mean they need at least twice as many in the US alone, and the service centers are overbooked as well.

As an investor and soon to be owner, this has me worried. From what I can glean from these forums as well as those on the horse's site, there seems to be a large constraint on the number of service centers. Even though there was an article that "hundreds" more are opening, that would still seem inadequate once the M3 starts rolling out.

I'm new here. First post actually. I live in Richmond, VA. I have been wanting to buy a Model S for years, but with the closest service center in the Wash. DC metro area being a 2+ hour drive in traffic, I haven't been willing to deal with the hassle.

We're getting a Richmond combo sales / service center that our local auto dealer association has been fighting tooth and nail for over a year, lodging appeal after appeal. I drove by the location last night, and it looks nearly finished (Tesla sign & chargers out front, hours on the door, chairs / counters / posters inside), so I'm super excited.

However, I'm also concerned, as I still don't see it listed as "coming soon" like other new locations on the Tesla location map, and I have no idea if they're holding off because of the legal fight with the VADA (Viriginia Auto Dealers Association), or what. How long is it generally between a location being in a "nearly finished" state and the grand opening? How long before a "Coming Soon" listing on the map, and an actual open service center?

I'm pleased to report an improvement in most aspects of the Service Center experience. The reps I dealt with seemed much nicer and cheerier - which certainly wasn't the case during previous visits. I could sense a recent push to elevate customer service above all else. The Japanese would call this omotenashi. As for the actual service, it went fine, and took the same amount of time as usual (2 days.)

During a Model X test drive today, the topic of service centre coverage in light of the upcoming flood of Model 3 came up during conversation.
The rep said there was 'massive' expansion planned and would be ready for volume Model 3s.
I wondered aloud whether this might mean a doubling, maybe more, of the number of UK Service Centers, to which the implied answer was that was about right.

So perhaps up to 7 new UK SCs in the next 18 months?
Doubling the number of service centers isn't enough when the number of cars is going to go up 10x. Service will continue to go downhill until they create service centers proportional to the increase in cars.

Doubling the number of service centers isn't enough when the number of cars is going to go up 10x. Service will continue to go downhill until they create service centers proportional to the increase in cars.
They can also increase capacity at existing service centers — something they have done at the SC I use — and they can increase capacity of mobile service, which has been reported to be happening (I have had two mobile service visits this year).

The other thing they can do is make more reliable cars that need less warranty service, although I think it is unknown whether or not this is happening, anecdotal reports at TMC notwithstanding.

The absolutely crucial thing is geographic distribution of service centers. For far too much of the US the nearest service center is just *WAY too far away*. There needs to be a service center within 120 miles of every city.
I agree, the closest to service center is 5 hours away. Now Teslas dont require the same maintenace as ICEs but things like tire rotations are a problem. I called Tesla and the closest approved tire store capable of lifting a Model 3 is 3 hours away. I also called and emailed Costco, Monro Tire and Firestone and no reply’s. What to do?????

I agree, the closest to service center is 5 hours away. Now Teslas dont require the same maintenace as ICEs but things like tire rotations are a problem. I called Tesla and the closest approved tire store capable of lifting a Model 3 is 3 hours away. I also called and emailed Costco, Monro Tire and Firestone and no reply’s. What to do?????

Um, what? Many tire places can work on Teslas. They just have to know about the right jack points (I know for sure it's in the manual for my Model S) and jack mode for air suspension (not an issue for your Model 3). You don't need to go to a Tesla service center for tire rotations. Nor do you need to buy tires from Tesla.

(This is not to detract from the larger point that having more service centers, well located, is key to keeping the growing population of Tesla owners happy. Totally agree with that.)

Bruce.

Yeah, any small local tire shop can change tires and wheels on a Tesla. Just make absolutely sure that they lift it at the jack points and don't press into the battery pack, that's all. (Also, look up the correct tire inflation pressure and torque spec for the bolts, since they're weird and most tire shops will get them wrong if you don't hand the numbers to them.)

I had new wheels installed at Discount tire the day after I purchased my model x. It’s not rocket science to jack a car and with Tesla outselling GM their becoming a pretty common vehicle on the road.

100% agree.
It's also a matter of quality vs. quantity.
My local SC has had incredible turnover and the amount of times the car has gone in several times for the same issue is way too high.
As always, the staff couldn't be nicer but their communication skills are awful.

Elon, I know you have been busy focusing on cranking out 5,000+ M3 per week(congrat for making that goal). But you or your senior exec's need to take a closer look at your Service Centers.

Brought my M3 in for service at the Costa Mesa SC.
  • Waited inline for ~35 minutes to get to the service advisor, this is with an appointment
  • Waited another 55 minutes for loaner car (M3 75D)
90 minutes to drop off a car for service got to be one of the worst performance matrics. To top it off, I notice they leave all the people's drives license, credit card and insurance on the counter, unattended at times!

In this picture, I counted 6 DL, CC, insurance... This is unacceptable!

Attachments

• 20181029_114309.jpg
    20181029_114309.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 78
Elon, I know you have been busy focusing on cranking out 5,000+ M3 per week(congrat for making that goal). But you or your senior exec's need to take a closer look at your Service Centers.

Brought my M3 in for service at the Costa Mesa SC.
  • Waited inline for ~35 minutes to get to the service advisor, this is with an appointment
  • Waited another 55 minutes for loaner car (M3 75D)
90 minutes to drop off a car for service got to be one of the worst performance matrics. To top it off, I notice they leave all the people's drives license, credit card and insurance on the counter, unattended at times!

In this picture, I counted 6 DL, CC, insurance... This is unacceptable!

You might want to post a tweet on his twitter timeline.

I’m having an issue I need to bring my car in for service on. I have a P100D X and my brother who has the same was told that Tesla is no longer offering P100D loaners for insurance reasons. Is this true? They have no PM3’s either, so I feel like it’s a fairly big disappointment to trade out a top of the line car for a base MS when in the past they had people trading in base car for fully loaded loaners. I was really hoping to get a PS or P3 to get my sedan fix in for the length of the service time.