Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service - P100D Loaner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of posts regarding service tend to be negative experiences so I thought I'd share my experience with the Burbank, CA service center. I do have the advantage of living and working close to the center so a lot of this is made possible because it's not inconvenient to just stop by on occasion.

Day one of delivery when driving my car home I noticed that there was a creak coming from the passenger side of the dash, not so much a rattle based on bumps but a creak based on body flex. Took me a while to take it in since it sort of came and went. Over time a couple other rattles started to develop in the dash and my referral arachnids were in so had them take a look at the rattles at the same time.

Got the car back and was loving the look of the new rims, the creaks/rattles came back and due to the nature of how difficult it is to identify and resolve these things I'm not surprised. The next time washing I noticed a bit of damage to my PPF on the rear passenger door and a small scratch on the window above. Ok things happen, I stopped by to bring it to their attention and on the spot they replaced the window and offered to reimburse re-wrapping the door and re-tinting the window.

Attempt #2 of resolving the creaks/rattles was ultimately unsuccessful but this time they replaced the dash pad. At this point started to narrow down the creak to being somewhat based on temperature. It presented itself more often while cold and since took I delivery in the summer it was pretty sporadic until it started to be consistently colder in the mornings.

Took it in for attempt #3 this past Thursday and before walking into service I parked in a supercharger slot since I needed the juice and wasn't sure if they could take me in right away. When plugging in a problem that had happened a couple times before presented itself. The ring around the charge port would turn orange and the dash said it failed to latch. Last time I had mentioned this to service they pulled my logs and it just said it wasn't latching and to be sure to seat it securely. Now that it happened at the service center I was able to grab a tech and show them personally. After letting the tech try he told me it definitely wasn't normal. Told me they would just replace the charge port on my car. We did a ride along to verify the creaks/rattles and they gave me a loaner and I was on my way.

Yesterday they called saying they want to replace the dash pad (again) but it wasn't in stock so they had to order it. Offered to either let me pick up my car until it came in or just keep the loaner. I was in the area so I stopped by and I was leaning towards getting my car back since I was wanting to get my TACC and EAP back while waiting for the part.

Now, every time they've had to look at my car it's pretty much been a stop in without appointment on the way home and every time I was able to get a Model S as a loaner. But if one weren't available I'm in the area often so I'd just make an appointment and come back. Their fleet consisted of mostly pre-refresh 85's and sometimes a refresh 75 through enterprise (the loaner I had was a refresh 75 RWD with no options through enterprise).

But yesterday the manager wanted to have it looked at over the weekend and offered to swap out the loaner with a P100D Model X! I had never driven an X so what better way to try one out than to have one for the weekend...but think they had some S's as well. I guess they just started getting in the P100D loaners as this has less than 2k miles on it and he said they had a couple more waiting on plates.

Aside from a couple legitimate issues (charge port), complaining about rattles is admittedly a very first world problem and I just can't believe how accommodating and helpful service has been.

And it looks like Elon's tweet about P100D loaners is starting to happen!

IMG_4528.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Acps110
My 75D had some paint issues upon delivery so I was loaned a P100D as well (Model S). They even let me keep it for an extra week while my car was at the detailer's getting tinting and paint protection done, which was above and beyond for sure. The only problem was that when I got my 75D back after driving the P100D for 2 weeks, it seemed so sluggish - sneaky Tesla. Luckily, the "P100D effect" has worn off a bit so my 75D feels quick again. Plus, I can always put it into Chill Mode whenever I want to remind myself what it was like to drive my Honda Civic, ha ha. BTW, I clocked Chill Mode on my 75D at 7.5 sec 0-60, vs 4.2 sec, which is pretty close to my 2016 Civic Turbo's 7 sec 0-60 time.

My loaner experience at Dublin started out fine for my first couple of SC trips, but I've gotten ICE'd ever since:

P85 -> P85D -> Kia SUV -> Hyundai SUV -> BMW X3

BUT, I'm happy to report that I also received a newer P100D loaner during my most recent visit. Hopefully things are getting better.

It's now been a month in a P100D X loaner while they fix a panel issue. To me the auto front door closing and easy entry/exit into the rear seats is a big deal that makes me regret getting the S over the X. But as braincandy warned, my 75D will probably seem slow once I get it back. And a more appropriate comparison would be X75D vs. mine, as I did want faster in that price range.