Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service quoting me $1600 for tires.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However the prosecution will target something that isn't a recommendation by a manufacturer - such as for example, a tyre that doesn't meet load ratings, or your tyre pressures weren't what they should have been at the time of the accident (I've been there, done that!). What it does for the prosecution is 'accord partial blame' thus affect the amount of damages - afforded by the judge.

Not surprising in other countries, but this doesn't happen in the USA, and the OP is from the USA.
You don't end up in front of a judge in the USA in 99% of cases unless you really hurt someone and it appears that there was egregious behavior by one of the drivers.

In the USA liability for this stuff is so low that even rental car companies don't care. I recently got a car with 20 PSI in one tire and 58 in another. The recommended is 36. I had no easy way to fix this, and didn't notice it for the first hundred miles of driving it. In sue-happy USA, if tire pressures being off was something that could make the owner liable, the rental car companies would keep track of it.

Don't trust Firestone to install stuff on your car and the problem goes away. They'll install any tire you want if you bring in loose wheels and don't make them bolt it up to your car.
That's what I've done for Tesla stuff.
I had shipped some tires to them thru TireRack for the wife's X3. OEM are runflats. They looked for a spare on the car, then called and said it's against their policy to install if no spare is present. I said ang on 30min...
I immediately put it on jackstand at my office and took the rims to them. They swapped everything over without issues. Guy just had a smirk on his face when I showed back up, and apologized again when I picked it back up.

The games we have to play at times..

Reactions: dsgerbc
Just order tires from Walmart or Amazon and have them delivered to your House. Then take them to your favorite Tire shop. I saved quite a bit of money having Tires delivered to my House and then taking them to the Tire Shop vs purchasing Tires from the Tire Shops themselves.

Golden rule: never take your car to a Tesla Service Center unless you have no other options. Tires, rotations, alignments, brakes and suspension work can and should be done at any reputable shop. They do this kind of work all day / every day.

Just order tires from Walmart or Amazon and have them delivered to your House. Then take them to your favorite Tire shop. I saved quite a bit of money having Tires delivered to my House and then taking them to the Tire Shop vs purchasing Tires from the Tire Shops themselves.

Places like discount tire / americas tire will price match any price like this, and will prevent you from having to deal with loading them in your car and such. They also tend to charge lower install fees if you bought the tires from them. It's been years since I've found it cheaper to buy online and deal with the install like you mention. This only works if your "favorite local tire shop" is not a chain with price matching yet magically has dirt cheap install costs.

Reactions: ATPMSD