Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service quoting me $1600 for tires.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which ones? They quoted me about $1300 + tax for the 18" Michelins which wasn't far off from tire racks price after installation, etc.

There is nothing special about Tesla tires but you do have to check the load rating if you deviate from the oem tire. Any tire place can install them.

Reactions: whiskeylover
No, they are not that special. You can get those "acoustic" tires anywhere but they are more expensive. I got standard Michelin CrossClimate 2s and have not noticed a big increase in noise and only about a 5% loss in range. 235/45-18. They were $1138 all in at Discount Tire one year ago. Depending on make, model and size that $1600 is probably not out of line.

You did not mention your tire size. Size matters you know.

Is that normal? Can i get tires at any place? He did mention sometime about tires containing foam. Are these special tires that I can only get at Tesla?

Why not go to:
  • A shop that specializes in tires.
  • A business that provides a warranty on tires.
  • A place that has the exact same tires for less money.
  • A tire store that can mount and balance four tires in an hour or less.
  • A business that rotates and fixes flats for free.

but you do have to check the load rating
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

You did not mention your tire size. Size matters you know.
18" aero on Model 3 LR.

I got standard Michelin CrossClimate 2s and have not noticed a big increase in noise and only about a 5% loss in range.
Good to know about the decrease in range. It's not that big of a deal for me.

Why not go to:
Thanks for all the points! I appreciate it!

Beachsideev - hit the nail on the head.

The thing to remember is this: If, god forbid, IF you were involved in an accident and "tires / tyres" were considered a factor for that accident, you would need to be 'safe' in the thought that you had the correct tire/tyre for that car.

Apart from correct size, the only other compulsory requirement for a tyre on a Tesla is that the tire/tyre wall rating complies with the OEM requirements. For M3's it is a 98W or 98Y rating.

Some tyres actually indicate the Max Load - figure on the tire wall.
On the back of the OEM alloys fitted to the M3 there is a stamp showing max load: 700Kg. This suggests Tesla have done the maths and require tires to cater for this figure for each corner of the vehicle.

Once you have complied with these two very simple requirements (tirewall loading and tire dimensions - the rest is simply down to your personal taste/cost.

Do NOT be swayed by marketing schemes requiring foam inserts or runflat capabilities or Nitrogen instead of air - It's all designed to milk you of even more money!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106-112111.png
    Screenshot_20231106-112111.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 32
The thing to remember is this: If, god forbid, IF you were involved in an accident and "tires / tyres" were considered a factor for that accident, you would need to be 'safe' in the thought that you had the correct tire/tyre for that car.
This is not a thing in the USA. Your insurance covers being an idiot and putting the wrong tires on your car. Most states do not have inspections, and there are no laws that you have to follow load ratings on non-commercial vehicles. There are no safety standards in the USA for braking distance or other tire performance.

The only way this could ever come up is if the tire actually blows out, and you lose control of the car due to that. Even then, the legal history here is much more tied to things a normal driver is expected to notice like cracked or bulging sidewalls or bald/corded tires. Not a detail like a load rating.

That being said, a company like Discount Tire won't install the wrong tires on a car.

gearcheruncher - I see where you're coming from. The UK is much along the same lines 'law wise'.
However the prosecution will target something that isn't a recommendation by a manufacturer - such as for example, a tyre that doesn't meet load ratings, or your tyre pressures weren't what they should have been at the time of the accident (I've been there, done that!). What it does for the prosecution is 'accord partial blame' thus affect the amount of damages - afforded by the judge.