Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service says my Tesla Model S 2013 60 kw Main battery needs to be replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the same case with me. Read below . There is a problem with the A/C hose that leaks into the battery pack and corrodes the fuse box and battery pack. This a defect in Tesla Model S 2013-4 models . I discussed this with Tesla before they replaced my battery and told them that this was happening while I was under warranty and they should replace it free because its a defect and a recall. Tesla knew this was happening to all Tesla Model S 2013-4 and did nothing. Thats why in 2019 when they had the Tesla Model S battery fire ,Tesla lowered the range on the Model S to less 10-20 miles. They sued them and settled lawsuit and I got a check $625 because it caught fire because of A/C leaking problem.
They said in the article that if you have this problem please contact them. I'm going to send them an email.
Probably all the 2013-4 Model S have this problem and Tesla is covering it up.
In the article , the person complained about this and Tesla stopped their Uber credits for people who Tesla gives when their car is in repair.
I think we all have a case and Tesla should replace the battery pack if it has corrosion and Tesla should refund my money I spent on they battery replacement.
Thats why Tesla service wouldn't let me see my battery pack when it was there for six weeks and wouldn't let me take a picture of the battery pack and it was covered up with a sheet. Because Tesla is covering up everything to avoid lawsuit.
What do you think wk057, Recell ?

View attachment 855099View attachment 855100

He addresses this in this thread and no he doesn't believe Tesla is under obligation to recall over this.

Reactions: AprilDelivery??
He addresses this in this thread and no he doesn't believe Tesla is under obligation to recall over this.
Thanks GHammer for the reference. I saw 057 statement "Depending on the level of moisture measured, we'll also offer the option of a full rebuild of the battery pack. This would be a longer process and a bit more expensive, but we would then inspect and test all of the 100+ sense connections within the battery, update other components as needed (contactors, fuse, etc), and basically do a full refurbishment on the battery pack. While we're not going to in any way require customers to go this route, the issue is that the ultrasonic welds Tesla uses on the sense connections are pretty sensitive to moisture and can fail unexpectedly even after we remove internal moisture and correct the underlying ingress issues. Once above a certain amount of moisture, which we believe we have sufficient data to have honed in on, that failure is pretty much imminent, even if it can be delayed. "

I still am suspicious of Tesla for not letting me see the battery pack. I wanted to see the corrosion and fuse box. The fact that Tesla didn't want me to take a picture shows some wrongdoing.

This is false, there is no recall for the A/C condensate drain.

Again, this is false. The lawsuit had nothing to do with fires. (The plaintiff, @DJRas, can confirm that fires were not a part of the suit.) The A/C condensate drain may have been partially to blame for what Tesla did there, but even packs without water intrusion have had the battery sense lead problem that Tesla made those temporary range changes for.
Agreed that there is no recall concerning this. The Tesla fires were cited in my lawsuit as the likely reason for the voltage capping. However, I cannot confirm or deny that this is the case from our discovery.
I DO believe this SHOULD be a recall.
I also believe that Tesla SHOULD do a recall that requires everyone to be updated to 2021 rev firmware for the improved battery diagnostic and charging profiles. There are still MANY cars that have not done the latest updates.

Reactions: Droschke
I just read this entire thread. Now that I’ve reached the end, I conclude …..

Not sure what you concluded, but I just caught up with this one and concluded that @AprilDelivery?? seems to have quite a bit of expectation of responses to questions from people they specifically talked down to earlier in the thread.

Your car was voltage limited, was part of the class and you received a $625 check too?

Your car was a S60. First I've ever heard of.
Yes ,I remembered in 2019 I complained to Tesla that after the software update my range went down like 10-15 miles. Now also when I got the 75kw replacement refurbished battery I only get 215-6 max. range on it. I think Tesla limited my range because on a 75kw I should be getting like 220-230+ not 215. Probably because of that issue with the corrosion , and maybe the fire issue.

Yes ,I remembered in 2019 I complained to Tesla that after the software update my range went down like 10-15 miles. Now also when I got the 75kw replacement refurbished battery I only get 215-6 max. range on it. I think Tesla limited my range because on a 75kw I should be getting like 220-230+ not 215. Probably because of that issue with the corrosion , and maybe the fire issue.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing your claim that Tesla issued you a $625 check because your "S60" was also eligible.

Reactions: buckets0fun
From what I have seen, and I think @wk057 has said, 2012/2013 packs are pretty much guaranteed to fail especially in states that salt the roads. 2014-2015, and maybe 2016?, packs are a little better but not much. And 2017+ packs appear to have the most common issues resolved. (Hopefully he will come correct what I got wrong. ;) )
I was told by Tesla I’d have to replace my battery pack. $22,000 estimate. Instead I sent the car to EV-Recell to find out my battery pack was perfectly fine and the bus and connections is where the issue was located and thru them I saved a lot of money!

I was told by Tesla I’d have to replace my battery pack. $22,000 estimate. Instead I sent the car to EV-Recell to find out my battery pack was perfectly fine and the bus and connections is where the issue was located and thru them I saved a lot of money!
It really pays to:
  • get a 2nd opinion
  • not believe what a proprietary service center says is gospel
  • have outside experts who are not affiliated to a brand/person/or publicly traded stock

My guess is that one of the next hurdles for mass EV adoption is the sustainability, longevity, and affordable support. If most Americans are living paycheck to paycheck regardless of income, a $22K cost of repair is not going work for most people. I imagine separating the acquisition cost and insuring the vehicle and the battery pack might make sense, and for experts to find cost-effective fixes/revisions in place of expensive and limited component replacements.

Recell inspects the side rails, vents and drain hoses on every pack - if replacement is needed we automagically include that as part of any repair/replacement.
You think u could have fixed my battery pack, cause the main issue was the fuse box corrosion, and Tesla wouldn't let me see the battery pack which I own. I was only having this problem on July 20 when it was hot outside and I was using the A/C ,maybe A/C hose was leaking on the battery pack. I wasn't having this problem in the winter when I wasn't using the A/C, its weird. Have you had cases like mine with fuse box corrosion and you fixed it and it worked?

obviously every circumstance will be different, but as we outlined in an example earlier, there are certainly instances where cleanup of the main fuse box, thorough inspection, analysis and testing of the pack (did we mention that we love data? :D) has resulted in an otherwise perfectly good pack getting back on the road.

obviously every circumstance will be different, but as we outlined in an example earlier, there are certainly instances where cleanup of the main fuse box, thorough inspection, analysis and testing of the pack (did we mention that we love data? :D) has resulted in an otherwise perfectly good pack getting back on the road.
ok thank you but why would Tesla service not let me see the battery pack in my Model S. Probably don't want to get sued for faulty battery pack design, leaking A/C hose onto battery pack which cause corrosion, right ?

ok thank you but why would Tesla service not let me see the battery pack in my Model S. Probably don't want to get sued for faulty battery pack design, leaking A/C hose onto battery pack which cause corrosion, right ?
Dude, give it a rest already. Nobody is going to be able to give you an answer beyond worthless speculation. The moment you agreed to the battery replacement the old battery was no longer yours, it was Teslas as a core return.