Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service - still a complete joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me get this straight:

1. We’re in a pandemic but you have to take PTO to be out of the office?
2. It’s a 3 hour round trip drive to the SC but you want a loaner during a 2-3 hour repair window? To go exactly where?
3. Yes, there are serious customer service issues at some Tesla SCs.
4. Your post doesn’t describe one.
1.) Is this a serious question? Driving and dealing with Tesla service isn’t working, even if you normally work from home.
2.) No he wants a loaner to go home, as Tesla service is very hit or miss on a time and it’s likely to take more than a day than they say.
3.) It’s a systematic problem, although some great people at the local level try their best to overcome
4.) Your post is nonsense

Picked up my new Model Y on 7/20 and I'll be getting my first experience with Tesla service after only nine days as the heat pump/AC failed on 7/29, the hottest day in recorded history in Pasco, WA. Interior temp of the car reached 121 degrees which prompted me to Tweet Elon and ask him how to turn off "Sauna Mode". I have to drive 3 hours to Spokane, WA to a Tesla Service Center "Lite". Anybody familiar with that?

I was surprised with service given what I had read about it, the first appointment at my SC was in a month, so I booked it but went into the SC to see if they could do something temporary till my date. I showed up 20 minutes before the service centre's closing time, and I mentioned the issue. The advisor said, do you want us to do the full repair now? I said sure, he told me to take a seat, and he'd let a tech know. Twenty minutes later, the repair was done.

I had Tesla Service recently for a "Passenger Restraint system fault'. I'm three hours drive to the nearest Service Center and the app didn't offer me mobile service. I don't understand why, but Tesla service ask for a written log of the fault dates and times even after I sent a screen shot from the car of same. We know that Tesla knows more about our cars than we do, yet they ask for stupid things like this, and then reschedule your appointment claiming they didn't have the info three days or more before the scheduled appointment.
I was not happy being pushed out a week, so I went to the app and rescheduled myself to an earlier open time, albiet a couple days later than my original appointment. Then they text me and ask if I want mobile service...hell yes, do you think I want to drive 3 hours each way.
Mobile service was great, he arrived on time, fixed the fault with a factory "mod kit", and replaced the pins on my charge port (service bulletin). Since I was his only appointment that day, I also got him to work with me to fix panel gaps between front fenders and frunk:).

Great experience once I got through the BS of the scheduling.

1.) Is this a serious question? Driving and dealing with Tesla service isn’t working, even if you normally work from home.
2.) No he wants a loaner to go home, as Tesla service is very hit or miss on a time and it’s likely to take more than a day than they say.
3.) It’s a systematic problem, although some great people at the local level try their best to overcome
4.) Your post is nonsense
You’re about 8 days in and have acquired comprehensive knowledge of Tesla service quality? Got it!

PS. I think you meant “systemic”.

2. It’s a 3 hour round trip drive to the SC but you want a loaner during a 2-3 hour repair window? To go exactly where?

1. As a Director in upper level management, yes. I work in an industry that is known to be "essential."
2. This one might be hard to comprehend but I'll try it anyways. Step 1. Drop off my car to service center after hours during the week (since they are not offering Saturday service appointments). Step 2. Pick up loaner vehicle. Step 3. Drive back home and give Tesla however long they want/need to diagnose and repair the issue with my car. Step 4. Return the loaner vehicle and pick up my car. Yes, this way requires I spend more time in the car than may need be, but very much outweighs the risk of Tesla not being able to repair my car while I wait at the service center and also mitigates the fact that there are no Saturday appointments available.
3. Yes, there are serious customer services issues at Tesla. Fixed that for you.
4. Instead of acknowledging how far behind the eight ball Tesla stands compared to Audi, Mercedes, BMW, etc. in the service light, you choose to blindly defend Tesla in discounting the issue I'm facing. I bet you tell all your friends how cool and edgy Elon Musk is, too.

I've been a part of a lot of auto forums over the years but I have to say, I've never encountered such a blind level of denialism than I have with the fanboys who defend Tesla. "Chill out man. You can't be mad at Tesla for not having even basic service options. You chose to spend $50,000 on your car, you should have moved closer to a service center before you pulled the trigger." If Tesla can only manage to service cars within an x mile radius of their service centers, they should only sell their cars within that same distance. That logic makes zero sense.

So you want Tesla to pay you for your time even though PTO already is? If it's that big of a deal just go sell your Tesla and buy another car from a perfect car company. Or better yet, move next door to the Tesla dealer. One appointment and you pull the "who will pay me for my time" crap. According to your math you make over 150K a year and one day off is something to cry about? Go fix your car and enjoy your day off. I think your expectations are hard to please.

Very much a joke in my experience. When people ask me about Tesla I tell them I really like the car, the tech, and the idea behind it all but I always caution them about the terrible service. When I took my car in for the FSD computer upgrade I also listed problems with my driver's window stopping and going back down while rolling up as well as a clicking sound on the front left wheel. I also told them that I would need a loaner as I work 7 days a week and I could be flexible to any day they had a loaner available. They told me they could never promise a loaner (don't understand how hard it can be to book a loaner for a specific day). Got my car back with the FSD computer with nothing else fixed. I just took my car in again for what became a loud squeaking in the front end and the drivers window as well as now the back right window having issues, appointment was booked for 21 days out, 6 days before appointment they moved it to a service center further away because the first center couldn't get to it in a timely manner but appointment stayed the same day. 5 days before appointment they asked me for time stamps of when the windows messed up, then told me they would reschedule my appointment because parts were delayed, so I told them I wanted it moved back to my closer center, they responded saying they had the parts ... I told them there was no reason to reschedule then, and they moved it back to the original day. I was told rough estimate 4 hours, at the 4:30 mark I got a text estimating several more hours, I went into the center and asked why, they said they thought I just left my car there and went home so they were working on another car. Got my car back about 30min after that (about 7 hours total), while driving home I rolled the drivers window down ... Still not fixed, other stuff was repaired. Now I don't even put my driver's window down because last time I couldn't get it to go back up while it was raining.

So you want Tesla to pay you for your time even though PTO already is? If it's that big of a deal just go sell your Tesla and buy another car from a perfect car company. Or better yet, move next door to the Tesla dealer. One appointment and you pull the "who will pay me for my time" crap. According to your math you make over 150K a year and one day off is something to cry about? Go fix your car and enjoy your day off. I think your expectations are hard to please.

No, I don’t want Tesla to pay for my time, nor do I expect them to. I indicated the dollar figures of my time to show my “cost” to have to use my time away from work because Tesla won’t offer a loaner vehicle or offer a Saturday appointment.

It is that big of a deal and if it wasn’t inferred in my tone already, I will be jumping ship back to something German as soon I’ve run my course with this car.

My expectations are that an auto company charging luxury car prices provides luxury car service. I think you’ll find yourself surprised that many others expect the same when they shell out $50,000-$120,000 on a car.

Would Cadillac and Audi have given you valet service at 80 miles away?

Yes. My Audi dealer was a comparable distance away before I made the switch to Tesla and on multiple occasions the dealer picked up my car and left an Audi loaner in its place for an oil change. Necessary? Not at all, at least not for an oil change, but this is the standard in the luxury car world.

It turns out going the extra mile (literally and figuratively) go a long way in customer satisfaction and drastically increases the chance that the buyer will become a repeat buyer. Unfortunately Elon seems to have missed that day in business school.

I'll be honest, reading some of your posts I would never have bought a car where I was 80+ miles from a place to get it serviced or 3+ hours that's just asking for trouble.

It just doesn't make sense, especially when the product can't really be serviced by independents (unless just tires/brakes) and is sort of pushing the envelope with technology.

I'll be honest, reading some of your posts I would never have bought a car where I was 80+ miles from a place to get it serviced or 3+ hours that's just asking for trouble.

It just doesn't make sense, especially when the product can't really be serviced by independents (unless just tires/brakes) and is sort of pushing the envelope with technology.

Thank you for your opinion but I don’t see that as a valid argument. There are plenty of other luxury auto dealers that don’t have dealerships every 20 miles and they manage these issues just fine (e.g. by offering Saturday appointments and providing loaner vehicles).

If Tesla can’t service their vehicles within a 20 mile radius of their service centers, they should only sell cars within that same radius. The burden shouldn’t be on the customer. I get it if the car is outside of its manufacturer warranty, but this is a car that’s barely a year old with defects that I can’t have corrected because Tesla won’t offer the same amenities that the other auto manufacturers offer without question.

Reactions: NerdUno
Would Cadillac and Audi have given you valet service at 80 miles away?
Likely wouldn’t have needed to go 80 miles with the built out infrastructure of those brands. Audi roadside assistance is great. But yes, from my experience with Audi, they would have in the case in which you’re 80 miles. Their customer service is a couple levels above Tesla.

Tesla can offset the physical disadvantage of having less SC by having things like ample mobile techs, loaners, and valet. But they don’t. It’s a valid reason to go with the competition. If Tesla doesn’t fill the service void, someone else will, whether it be 3rd Party or other manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: idealdreams
Thank you for your opinion but I don’t see that as a valid argument. There are plenty of other luxury auto dealers that don’t have dealerships every 20 miles and they manage these issues just fine (e.g. by offering Saturday appointments and providing loaner vehicles).

If Tesla can’t service their vehicles within a 20 mile radius of their service centers, they should only sell cars within that same radius. The burden shouldn’t be on the customer. I get it if the car is outside of its manufacturer warranty, but this is a car that’s barely a year old with defects that I can’t have corrected because Tesla won’t offer the same amenities that the other auto manufacturers offer without question.

The thing is Tesla's service quality is a known thing. Just browsing forums will tell you that it isn't great, can't get a person on the phone etc... That it wasn't going to be the Audi/Lexus experience.

They can service cars outside of 20 miles, you just gotta get the car there.

Now that's said, I think the bigger issue is their shitty build quality that so many service visits are needed initially.

If Tesla can’t service their vehicles within a 20 mile radius of their service centers, they should only sell cars within that same radius. The burden shouldn’t be on the customer.

First I need to preface that I'm not a fanatical Tesla zealot, and my posting history reflects that.

Your choice to buy was yours. The burden (or risk) of 80 mile distance is yours. While I appreciate it takes you time to visit the service centers, it's really not their problem or ours.

Tesla won’t offer a loaner vehicle or offer a Saturday appointment.
Basically no servicing department of ANY manufacturer region to me (and most of Europe) are open on Saturdays.

In the US, some Tesla servicing departments are open on Saturday, some aren't.

Not a Tesla-specific characteristic.

My Audi dealer was a comparable distance away before I made the switch to Tesla and on multiple occasions the dealer picked up my car and left an Audi loaner in its place for an oil change. Necessary? Not at all, at least not for an oil change, but this is the standard in the luxury car world.

My expectations are that an auto company charging luxury car prices provides luxury car service. I think you’ll find yourself surprised that many others expect the same when they shell out $50,000-$120,000 on a car.

I bought my BMW from the dealership in cash. The first time I took it in for an oil change and general servicing, texted me a video they made giving it a walk-around describing the service. Nice.

The second time I took it in, the fuel pump had broke. I asked for a loaner vehicle. They said they'd be happy to rent me one at cost. I showed them the corporate BMW policy that cars under warranty are covered for loaner vehicles. They acquiesced and gave me a rental. When I returned the rental, they gave me a bill. I had to take the bill back to the service advisor to get it nulled out.

So much for luxury service. They also don't work on Saturdays either.

• Funny
Reactions: BlindPass
First I need to preface that I'm not a fanatical Tesla zealot, and my posting history reflects that.

Your choice to buy was yours. The burden (or risk) of 80 mile distance is yours. While I appreciate it takes you time to visit the service centers, it's really not their problem or ours.

Basically no servicing department of ANY manufacturer region to me (and most of Europe) are open on Saturdays.

In the US, some Tesla servicing departments are open on Saturday, some aren't.

Not a Tesla-specific characteristic.

I bought my BMW from the dealership in cash. The first time I took it in for an oil change and general servicing, texted me a video they made giving it a walk-around describing the service. Nice.

The second time I took it in, the fuel pump had broke. I asked for a loaner vehicle. They said they'd be happy to rent me one at cost. I showed them the corporate BMW policy that cars under warranty are covered for loaner vehicles. They acquiesced and gave me a rental. When I returned the rental, they gave me a bill. I had to take the bill back to the service advisor to get it nulled out.

So much for luxury service. They also don't work on Saturdays either.
Lol, “you knew what you were getting” is now the response?

Good grief, we sound like the short-seller/Big Auto from 5 years ago- “Don’t buy Tesla if you’re interested in quality build and good service. Don’t buy Tesla unless you live close to one of their few S.C.”.

• Love
Reactions: idealdreams

How does a Tesla SC know it's a 2-3 hour repair without diagnosing the problem?