Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a few threads where people complained about Tesla service. I am wondering how wide-spread that is. The last thing I want to do is spend serious money on a car and find out that service is a big headache. FWIW, I live in the Baltimore area. Obviously, YMMV. But, is there a sense of how Tesla service is, generally? This might be a good subject for a survey.

Definitely dependent on location. I live in the northwest where only mobile service is available (my nearest service center is about 5 hours away) and they have been fantastic. Literally 0 complaints with them at all.

It seems that others that have to go to a physical service center have a worse experience, just from what I've gathered reading the forums.

Here in Southern California there are a lot of Tesla's! And in sunny Orange County, there is one service center to service them all, in Costa Mesa (there is another one in Buena Park but that's really far away from any of us closer to the coast). So you can imagine that the service center is always crowded. I am amazed at how they are still polite and quick, but I don't envy how many cars they have to deal with. In fact, if I want to make a service appointment today, August 27 2019, the first available appointment time is September 23 2019. Obviously YMMV, but this is what we have to work around, here.

Definitely dependent on location. I live in the northwest where only mobile service is available (my nearest service center is about 5 hours away) and they have been fantastic. Literally 0 complaints with them at all.

+1

We live in Jackson and the nearest service center is in SLC — which is 5 hours away —so we have to depend upon their mobile service. Absolutely no complaints. Much prefer having my car serviced at home rather than having to drive to a service center, no matter how close it is.

NEVER BUY a Tesla...check my post...car has been in shop for over 90 days... Great car but until they work out their supply chain and repair time stay away... Car insurance companies only cover 30 day rentals so if you are at fault, you will pay around $3k in rental fees out of your own pocket...worst experience ever. I wish I never purchased the car...

• Informative
Reactions: Darren Donovan
Tesla has a lot of growing pains. There is a lot of turnover in personnel. Actual service once you get past the greeters is generally good. Body work is difficult due to delays in getting parts.

...how wide-spread...

For my experience for the past 7 years and 3 different Tesla car models S, X, 3, Tesla Service has been great. I've been driving annually to a Service Center for my pre-paid annual maintenance (which is no longer required nor offered). Minor problems were addressed by mobile service next day or 2.

My 2012 Model S had 3 repairs with no delays during my annual checkup: Mobile Connector Unit, 17" screen display, Cabin Heater.

But I understand that if you need body shop work, it has been quite a delay and Tesla has been trying to fix that by opening up its own body shops.

I love our Teslas, but service has gone downhill. We've had our cars for nearly six years. While I understand that certain amenities, like having the car picked up at your home and returning it after service is complete, are victims to having more Teslas on the road, the current system is awful. Here in the DC area, it is impossible to actually speak with someone about your service. While making your appointment through the app is nice, there is no communication with the service group at all. There is no way to raise issues or questions until you actually show up at the service appointment. And now, in a text message I received in connection with an upcoming appointment, it seems that they don't even give you a loaner of any type while your car is in the shop. Apparently, all you get is a ride home in an uber. And you cannot even ask a question in reply to the text message as it is not monitored. So I could not find out if it was really true that all they would provide is a ride home. Tesla really needs to fix this service fiasco. In my view, it is clearly the weak link.

When I bought my 2015 back in April of this year, I took delivery at Owings Mills. Overall a good experience but I cannot comment on service there.

When I brought my 2019 in for service (some trim issues and the MCU yellow border issue), I took it to the Devon PA service center and had a very positive experience. They walked around the car and noted any imperfections when I dropped it off.

I found a few threads where people complained about Tesla service. I am wondering how wide-spread that is. The last thing I want to do is spend serious money on a car and find out that service is a big headache. FWIW, I live in the Baltimore area. Obviously, YMMV. But, is there a sense of how Tesla service is, generally? This might be a good subject for a survey.
As expected you would get the full spectrum of opinions... It depends on location as mentioned

Check your local forums

Personally, I would abstain,- I love my car, but it's all good until you need service, that's when it starts...

Took delivery of my 100D in March 2018. Minor service issues handled promptly by knowledgeable mobile techs. Then I took it in due to Wi-Fi reception issues. Car was delivered back to me dirty and now I have the dreaded yellow border around my touch screen. Called the Service Center (Orlando) and was told they won’t have tooling to fix for a month or more so call back then. As it took 2 weeks to get my last appointment I asked if I could get on a list now. Nope. Also, I noticed that someone had sought navigation instructions to a local Holiday Inn on the same day my car was brought back to me in Cape Canaveral from Orlando. I texted a question about that. No response. Suffice to say, when asked “how do you like your Tesla?” I will respond “It’s great but ....”

The Owings Mills service center is hard to get a hold of. Why are they hard to get a hold of? Because all of the service employees are very busy working on the cars, not standing next to the phone. They do their best to get your car in and out.

I posted in a different thread about problems with getting Uber vouchers instead of a loaner, but it wouldn’t be such a big deal if they just were more organized. They have no idea when a car will be completed and they take forever to respond. I once got my car back that was supposed to be fixed but I brought it back shortly after for the same issues. They also left all these black fingerprints on the seats. But I guess that evens out for them leaving some metal part in my cup holder and the 10 microfiber towels they left in my trunk.

NEVER BUY a Tesla...check my post...car has been in shop for over 90 days... Great car but until they work out their supply chain and repair time stay away... Car insurance companies only cover 30 day rentals so if you are at fault, you will pay around $3k in rental fees out of your own pocket...worst experience ever. I wish I never purchased the car...

It appears you are experiencing Accident Repair, not maintenance vehicle service. There are a lot of Insurance delays, approvals, negotiations, etc. associated with collision claims that will delay repairs and parts orders. Not that collisions parts service is the fastest, but keep in mind unlike other manufacturers there are no aftermarket parts and very few "salvage" parts available. My recent accident in a 3 day old Model X took 60 days for Insurance company to authorize any payments to the body shop. Good luck on everything. It is a frustrating process to deal with.

• Informative
Reactions: rhumbliner