Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sets charge limit to 90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Iron

Jan 22, 2023
ATL
Just took delivery on my MYLR three days ago. Tesla has the charge limit set to 90%. I see many here set it to 80%. I do have a garage with a wall connector installed and set to full 48A charging. Would it be more beneficial for the battery if I dial it back to 80%? Daily work commute is about 40 mi RT. I've only charged it a few times and the max charge so far is 66 mi.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Congrats. Just took delivery of mine today after 7 months of having a Model 3.

Lots of debate on this. In my opinion there are two schools of thought, one super in-the-weeds, the other not so much:

1. Figure out a charge limit that allows the car to sit as close to 50% as possible for as long as possible (in theory this is best for the battery long term). For instance, I set my charge limit to exactly 57% and I schedule charging using the off-peak hours to end right when I leave for work. I drive to work and end up there at about 54%, the car sits at that SOC while I'm at work, then I depart and arrive home right at 50% give or take where it sits until the whole thing repeats. On the weekend I usually set it to 55%. I'm weird so I actually enjoy this sort of granular charging habit and wish I had more control over it in the app.

2. Set the charge limit to 80 or 90 and don't worry about any of that above.

I'd go with whichever method sounds the best for you. If you never want to worry about it, set it to 90 percent and never think about it again (or 80% doesn't really matter, might be slightly better for the battery long term). If you like the sort of thing described in #1 then go for that.

Edit to add that setting it to a lower SOC will mess with the car's ability to estimate the range (though not its actual range), which is why Tesla recommends 90%. Lots of threads on this if you do a search, especially in the Model 3 forums.

Congrats. Just took delivery of mine today after 7 months of having a Model 3.

Lots of debate on this. In my opinion there are two schools of thought, one super in-the-weeds, the other not so much:

1. Figure out a charge limit that allows the car to sit as close to 50% as possible for as long as possible (in theory this is best for the battery long term). For instance, I set my charge limit to exactly 57% and I schedule charging using the off-peak hours to end right when I leave for work. I drive to work and end up there at about 54%, the car sits at that SOC while I'm at work, then I depart and arrive home right at 50% give or take where it sits until the whole thing repeats. On the weekend I usually set it to 55%. I'm weird so I actually enjoy this sort of granular charging habit and wish I had more control over it in the app.

2. Set the charge limit to 80 or 90 and don't worry about any of that above.

I'd go with whichever method sounds the best for you. If you never want to worry about it, set it to 90 percent and never think about it again (or 80% doesn't really matter, might be slightly better for the battery long term). If you like the sort of thing described in #1 then go for that.

Edit to add that setting it to a lower SOC will mess with the car's ability to estimate the range (though not its actual range), which is why Tesla recommends 90%. Lots of threads on this if you do a search, especially in the Model 3 forums.
Thank you and congrats on yours! I ordered an M3 back in 2019 then canceled and took the $100 hit because I found out the MY was about to launch (sales person didn't say a thing and knew I wasn't really keen on how low I sat in the 3). Well the Covid era and the crazy prices delayed me till now. Anyway, I digress...

Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing the half charge method. I feel like that might be a bit to constricting for me but it's interesting to know that it would maximize the battery. I don't know how long I will keep this car. The battery technology and ranges seem to be improving so fast that I think some notable breakthroughs are on the horizon. Had the 4680 been available in LR, I would have opted for that.

Did you get the red as well? I ask because of your profile pic. My color choice was driven by the possibility of higher resale value. LOL

506-BA172-71-CE-4-DEB-B250-AF7746557-DE7.jpg

Reactions: Nolakai and cdub
Thank you and congrats on yours! I ordered an M3 back in 2019 then canceled and took the $100 hit because I found out the MY was about to launch (sales person didn't say a thing and knew I wasn't really keen on how low I sat in the 3). Well the Covid era and the crazy prices delayed me till now. Anyway, I digress...

Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing the half charge method. I feel like that might be a bit to constricting for me but it's interesting to know that it would maximize the battery. I don't know how long I will keep this car. The battery technology and ranges seem to be improving so fast that I think some notable breakthroughs are on the horizon. Had the 4680 been available in LR, I would have opted for that.

Did you get the red as well? I ask because of your profile pic. My color choice was driven by the possibility of higher resale value. LOL

I did get a red one. The red looks even better in person than in Tesla's pictures (as I'm sure you're aware). And I already had a red charger faceplate so I had to get another red car ;)

I opted for gemini wheels because I want to maximize the range, we upgraded from the Model 3 because we like taking the whole family on road trips but needed more room. I keep thinking they're going to update the gemini wheels at some point because they don't really match the vibe of the rest of the car. I was debating painting the wheel covers but then found these that look the same but in black and actually cover the whole rims to protect against curb rash.

Reactions: Jaymc5 and IdaX
Just took delivery on my MYLR three days ago. Tesla has the charge limit set to 90%. I see many here set it to 80%. I do have a garage with a wall connector installed and set to full 48A charging. Would it be more beneficial for the battery if I dial it back to 80%? Daily work commute is about 40 mi RT. I've only charged it a few times and the max charge so far is 66 mi.

Welcome to Tesla!

As @arichard2401 noted, there is a lot of debate on this subject, my advice is don't worry about it. Here are some simply guidelines you may wish to follow:

1. Plug in your car every night, if it is convenient to do so
  2. Set the car to charge to 90% and leave it alone
  3. If your car has the LFP battery, charge you car to 100% once per week.
  4. If you are planning a road trip charge to 100% before hitting road
  5. Try to avoid running the battery down to single digits. Less chance of running the battery out and less stress!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I did get a red one. The red looks even better in person than in Tesla's pictures (as I'm sure you're aware). And I already had a red charger faceplate so I had to get another red car ;)

I opted for gemini wheels because I want to maximize the range, we upgraded from the Model 3 because we like taking the whole family on road trips but needed more room. I keep thinking they're going to update the gemini wheels at some point because they don't really match the vibe of the rest of the car. I was debating painting the wheel covers but then found these that look the same but in black and actually cover the whole rims to protect against curb rash.
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the red looks. I guess the aesthetic benefit of it being a multi coat is hard to capture in pics. My wheels are Geminis as well. Those are hubcaps you're seeing.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
During the work week plug in every evening evening at home (unless you can charge at work at no cost to you.) Plug in on the weekend as needed. If you poll Tesla Model Y owners most would indicate they usually charge daily to between 70% and 80%. Any set charging limit between 50% and 90% will be OK.

With the large number of current Supercharger network charging locations in most regions you no longer need to charge above 90% before starting a trip. When charging at a Supercharger the objective is to charge as quickly as possible so you can continue your trip. Plan to arrive at the Supercharger charging station with ~20% or less battery state of charge (SOC) remaining and unplug when the battery SOC is at no more than 80%. Supercharging beyond 80% takes much longer, is usually unnecessary.

Download the free to use app A Better Route Planner (ABRP) onto your phone. (ABRP) is also available on the web. Explore ABRP's trip planning settings before you take a road trip. You can be confident if you stop and charge when either ABRP or the Tesla Model Y indicates you should charge that you will not be stressed about running out of battery charge.

Many Tesla Model Y owners prefer to display the battery state of charge (SOC) instead of the estimated range. To change to SOC just tap the value displayed next to the battery icon on the Tesla screen or in the Tesla app. The estimated range is based on the Tesla EPA estimated range data; not indicative of the way most Tesla Model Y owners drive.

Remember, your Tesla Model Y is not a collectible vehicle or a toy you never take out of the packaging. Even if you take the utmost care when charging then havoc may come a callin' in the form of Bambi's friends colliding with your vehicle.

Welcome to Tesla!

As @arichard2401 noted, there is a lot of debate on this subject, my advice is don't worry about it. Here are some simply guidelines you may wish to follow:

1. Plug in your car every night, if it is convenient to do so
  2. Set the car to charge to 90% and leave it alone
  3. If your car has the LFP battery, charge you car to 100% once per week.
  4. If you are planning a road trip charge to 100% before hitting road
  5. Try to avoid running the battery down to single digits. Less chance of running the battery out and less stress!

Enjoy!
What does LFP battery mean?

I’m still a newbie, owning my first Tesla foe less than one month.

LFP = lithium iron phosphate battery

Tesla switched to this battery, but not being an MY owner I cannot say when. On the screen where you set the desired charge level look at the graphic. If you see two lines, one for “daily” and one for “trip” you do not have an LFP battery. If these are not there you have an LFP battery.

LFP = lithium iron phosphate battery

Tesla switched to this battery, but not being an MY owner I cannot say when. On the screen where you set the desired charge level look at the graphic. If you see two lines, one for “daily” and one for “trip” you do not have an LFP battery. If these are not there you have an LFP battery.
In the US, Canada Tesla only supplies a LFP battery in the Standard Range Plus Model 3 (currently the entry level Model 3.) To date, no Tesla Model Y in the US or Canada use a LFP battery.

Does anyone know of a study that shows the degradation at different charging percentages and temperatures? It is interesting the my M1 Mac has lithium ion batteries and automatically changes it's charge state from variations of 68% to 100% at different times or days to save battery integrity.

Reactions: enemji
Does anyone know of a study that shows the degradation at different charging percentages and temperatures? It is interesting the my M1 Mac has lithium ion batteries and automatically changes it's charge state from variations of 68% to 100% at different times or days to save battery integrity.
Here is an article from Battery University:

See Figure 6 as it is often referenced (the testing involved individual cells, not a Tesla high voltage battery pack.)

BU-808: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

Tesla understands that in most cases the battery pack in a Tesla vehicle will not fail or suffer loss of battery capacity of greater than 30% within 8 years or 120k miles of driving. We like to think that a Tesla vehicle can last for beyond 15 years. In reality most Tesla vehicle will be sold or traded long before the battery needs to be replaced.

There will be new vehicle offerings from Tesla and other EV manufacturers that will offer superior performance, comfort, convenience and safety. In addition to more efficient drive systems, improved battery technology there will be faster, more advanced processors, cameras and other sensors that will render today's Tesla vehicle less than state of the art within 5 years. This is well before the battery pack's useful life is used up.

The Atom processor in my 2020 LRMY has already been eclipsed by the new AMD Ryzen processor. 5mp cameras with wider angle viewing will soon replace the existing cameras.

Last edited:
During the work week plug in every evening evening at home (unless you can charge at work at no cost to you.) Plug in on the weekend as needed. If you poll Tesla Model Y owners most would indicate they usually charge daily to between 70% and 80%. Any set charging limit between 50% and 90% will be OK.

With the large number of current Supercharger network charging locations in most regions you no longer need to charge above 90% before starting a trip. When charging at a Supercharger the objective is to charge as quickly as possible so you can continue your trip. Plan to arrive at the Supercharger charging station with ~20% or less battery state of charge (SOC) remaining and unplug when the battery SOC is at no more than 80%. Supercharging beyond 80% takes much longer, is usually unnecessary.

Download the free to use app A Better Route Planner (ABRP) onto your phone. (ABRP) is also available on the web. Explore ABRP's trip planning settings before you take a road trip. You can be confident if you stop and charge when either ABRP or the Tesla Model Y indicates you should charge that you will not be stressed about running out of battery charge.

Many Tesla Model Y owners prefer to display the battery state of charge (SOC) instead of the estimated range. To change to SOC just tap the value displayed next to the battery icon on the Tesla screen or in the Tesla app. The estimated range is based on the Tesla EPA estimated range data; not indicative of the way most Tesla Model Y owners drive.

Remember, your Tesla Model Y is not a collectible vehicle or a toy you never take out of the packaging. Even if you take the utmost care when charging then havoc may come a callin' in the form of Bambi's friends colliding with your vehicle.
I have had two of Bambis' friends say hi in Texas on my road trips with my Prius, not fun, i'll skip Texas in my tesla.