Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sets charge limit to 90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the reasons I look forward to road trips is to charge to 100%....not that I need to, like everyone here I am always curious to see what the battery capacity actually is
How is your process of charging to 100% able to tell you the battery capacity? I generally use simple mathematics at any percentage SoC to calculate the capacity at 100%. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that to get a true 100% capacity reading of the battery, and to recalibrate the BMS, you must drain the battery to 0% and then charge it up to 100%.

How is your process of charging to 100% able to tell you the battery capacity? I generally use simple mathematics at any percentage SoC to calculate the capacity at 100%. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that to get a true 100% capacity reading of the battery, and to recalibrate the BMS, you must drain the battery to 0% and then charge it up to 100%.
Well of course it doesn’t....and I also use maths to calculate 100% from a lower percentage...but the battery meter doesn’t go to decimal point so every percentage point is worth more than 5 kilometers...so some error can occur.
I have never yet recalibrated...by knowing my 100% range, I feel that I am in a better position to judge if I need to or not. Besides it’s a rare event to charge fully and I follow best practice and leave immediately.

Perhaps but only if you allow the Tesla Model Y battery management system to collect data at different state of charge levels from near ~100% down to ~20% or lower. Park the Tesla Model Y with Sentry mode, Smart Summon (if equipped with FSD) disabled so that the Tesla Model Y enters sleep mode where the battery management system can measure the open cell voltages (OCV) of the cells in the battery pack. (This automatic battery maintenance routine takes several hours each time it runs) and improves the accuracy of the estimated state of charge.
Calibration.

You can use the navigation while at home to set the destination to work and then add another stop back home and see how much charge the car estimates it will take round trip. Then adjust your charge level accordingly.

Or just charge to 100% right before you leave the first day you drive it to work and see what you get home with. Then in the future you can lower it further if you want.
Great idea…..thanks.

I'm going to concur with @jcanoe and say I wouldn't do either one of those. New owners do seem to try to go to extremes to try to avoid charging stops. Why? You have access to the best charging network on the planet. Does this 180 mile route really not have ANY Superchargers on it? I start with a normal state of charge, like 80 or 90% and then just plan to take a reasonable 15 minute top-up at a Supercharger on the way there or the way back. It shouldn't be a big deal and wouldn't require overthinking.
New EV owners tend to plan, drive as they would for an ICE vehicle. Instead of charging to 100% and then driving until you are almost at 0% state of charge let the Tesla Model Y's Navigation system guide you on when and where to stop and use a Supercharger station. The Tesla Supercharger network makes range anxiety mostly a non-issue.

A Better Route Planner (ABRP), a third-party software for your phone and web app, lets you customize many variables for your trip and plan your charging stops. ABRP can recommend Tesla Supercharger charging locations and also DC Fast Charge network locations. If you wish to use one of the DC Fast Charge networks such as Electrify America you would need to purchase the Tesla CCS Combo 1 charging adapter ($175 from the Tesla online store) or one of the 3rd-party CCS1 adapters that are available.

For a 180 mile trip I would not bother charging to 100%, not more than 90%. I would plan to charge once near the start of the return trip, arrive back home with a reasonable reserve state of charge, i.e. 15% or 20%.

In winter, if you drive this same 180 mile trip, you will find that the energy consumption will increase by at least 20% as your driving efficiency falls with the lower temperature. Instead of wondering, "will I be able to make it home?" just charge a little longer at the Supercharger (perhaps an additional 20%.)

Another useful phone and web app is Plugshare. Plugshare can locate nearby charging stations, perhaps even close to where you will be traveling and maybe even free to use for a few hours. (A 6kW Level 2 charging station (very common with public L2 charging) would enable you to add 20 miles + per hour to your range for every hour you charge. 4 hours would probably be all the time you would need to charge back to 80% or 90% for the return trip.)

The Tesla Supercharger network is available 24 X 7. There are currently 5,000 Supercharger locations and 50,000 charging connections (globally.) You need a valid credit card or debit card saved to your Tesla Account to use the Supercharger network. (I recommend performing a brief, i.e. 2 minute, Supercharging session at a nearby Supercharger to verify that you can charge your new Tesla Model Y using the Supercharger network. (Probably will cost $0.30 to perform the 2 minute test.)

The initial (maximum) charging rate when Supercharging will vary with the version (generation) of Supercharger, the state of charge of the battery at the beginning of the charging session and the battery temperature. The battery temperature will be automatically optimized for Supercharging when you enter the Supercharger location as the next way point or destination in the Tesla Navigation system and start to drive. That said, you would probably need to charge at a Supercharger for less than 20 minutes to reach your home with a comfortable level of reserve battery charge.
Thanks for that info

I'm going to concur with @jcanoe and say I wouldn't do either one of those. New owners do seem to try to go to extremes to try to avoid charging stops. Why? You have access to the best charging network on the planet. Does this 180 mile route really not have ANY Superchargers on it? I start with a normal state of charge, like 80 or 90% and then just plan to take a reasonable 15 minute top-up at a Supercharger on the way there or the way back. It shouldn't be a big deal and wouldn't require overthinking.
👍

👍

Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing the half charge method. I feel like that might be a bit to constricting for me but it's interesting to know that it would maximize the battery.
Thanks for the info, AAKEE. I've begun charging to 60% using scheduled departure, so all charging completes right before I leave in the morning. By the time I get to work, I'm at 52%, where it sits all day till Ieave. By the time I get home, I'm at 44%, where it sits all night till it repeats again in the morning.
Quoting myself just to say.... my, my.... how things have changed in three months! I was beaten down with logical information. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Art84 and HMHM
can anyone please explain how to calculate the range? new to tesla and going to get it delivered next week, how to calculate the range?
There are currently three different versions of the Tesla Model Y sold in the US. Each comes with an estimated EPA combined city/highway range. Which version of the Model Y did you purchase? The EPA range number is just an estimate, your actual range will probably be less, perhaps 15% less than the EPA value.

Inside the Tesla vehicle the battery indicator will either display the current state of charge of the battery as a % or if you tap the displayed value it will change to a current range estimate.

Reactions: HMHM and tampaboyt
There are currently three different versions of the Tesla Model Y sold in the US. Each comes with an estimated EPA combined city/highway range. Which version of the Model Y did you purchase? The EPA range number is just an estimate, your actual range will probably be less, perhaps 15% less than the EPA value.

Inside the Tesla vehicle the battery indicator will either display the current state of charge of the battery as a % or if you tap the displayed value it will change to a current range estimate.
Y LR, I see videos on YT and they show KW/hr is that the actual range?

Y LR, I see videos on YT and they show KW/hr is that the actual range?
No. a kilowatt is a measure of power, i.e. 100 Watts of power X 10 would be 1000 Watts or 1 kilowatt. 1 kilowatt being consumed for 1 hour would be 1 kilowatt hour (1 kWh). If you know your EV's consumption in Watt hours per mile you can estimate how many miles you could travel using 1 kWh of energy. For example 250 Wh per mile is 0.250 kWh per mile. 1/0.250 kWh = 4 miles of driving per kWh.

The 2023 Tesla Long Range Model Y has a battery capacity (when new) of right around 79 or 80 kWh. If you were able to achieve 4 miles of driving per kWh your range would be approximately 4 miles/kWh X 80 kWh = 320 miles.

Watt hours per mile (Wh/mi) is a measure of energy consumption and EV driving efficiency. A higher value means lower efficiency (would use more energy for every mile driven.) A lower value indicates higher efficiency. 250 Wh/mi as noted would be 4 miles per kWh. Some Tesla owners can achieve this level of efficiency but if you took a sample of Tesla Model Y owners you would find that lifetime driving efficiency falls somewhere between 240 Wh/mi and perhaps 300 Wh/mi. Right around 270 Wh/mi is a common efficiency value.

More than any other variable your highway speed has the biggest impact on the Wh/mi consumption and the ultimate range you could achieve before needing to stop and charge the battery. Above 60 MPH every 5 MPH increase in speed will reduce your efficiency (increase the Wh/mi consumption) by almost 10%. 70 MPH is 10% more efficient than 75 MPH and much more efficient, i.e. 20% more efficient, than driving at 80 MPH.

Last edited:
can anyone please explain how to calculate the range? new to tesla and going to get it delivered next week, how to calculate the range?
What do you mean calculate the range? The range in miles or battery % will be displayed at the top of the screen next to the battery icon. Tap to change from one to the other. This is ideal EPA rated range, which you will likely not achieve in the real world. Best to keep it on % display instead of miles because if you base your trip planning and charging stops on the miles displayed at the top you will run out of battery.

The car gives a more realistic range estimate in the energy app under the consumption tab and that number is based on recent driving over the last 5/15/30 miles.

If you mean trying to calculate what 100% rated range would be when you are not at 100% charge, its just simple math. Take the displayed miles and divide by the displayed % as a decimal. Like if it shows 256 miles at 80%, do 256 divided by 0.8 = should be 320 at 100%

Someone here suggested charging once a week, but the amount of depletion DOES have an impact on battery degradation - same with maintaining the battery at too high of a SOC.
I finally got the M3LR out of winter storage and when I stored it six months ago, it was at 90%. Now it is at 63%, and I didn't bother charging it. I drove it and got home with 55% remaining. I didn't feel any loss of power.
I am thinking about keeping the daily charge limit at 55% - does anyone see any negatives with this aside for long trips (I'll plan ahead and set it to a higher charge if I need it)? Seems I'd be above 45% on a daily basis.

I am thinking about keeping the daily charge limit at 55% - does anyone see any negatives with this aside for long trips (I'll plan ahead and set it to a higher charge if I need it)? Seems I'd be above 45% on a daily basis.

No negatives here.

For what it's worth, my typical daily charge limit is 50% and has been for months. I return home from work with around 34%.

I usually charge to 80% before starting a road trip.

Last edited:
Came across this list of best practices today. Number 7 says "fully charge every 3 months" for battery balancing, yet #1 says only do it when you plan to drive within a few hours. I do recall seeing this said before but also that you'd need to let the car sit 3 or 4 hours at that SOC for the rebalancing to occur. My current train of thought is to never push it to 100% unless absolutely necessary. Anyone doing this? I've never charged to 100 before and it's been a little over 3 months having the car.

7 Tesla Battery Maintenance Tips​

teslac.jpg
Your Tesla battery is designed to be relatively low maintenance, but there are some best practices to get the most out of your Tesla battery. I’ll share some valuable Tesla battery maintenance tips to improve your battery performance and longevity.
7 Tesla Battery Best Practices
  1. Partial Charge Battery- Battery Charging should be maintained between 20%-90% when possible. It’s best to only charge your battery to 100% when you plan to drive your Tesla within a few hours. In some models you can set the charging time to allow you to be 100% charged within a few hours.
  1. Low Voltage Charging- Tesla recommends that you maintain a regular every day charging schedule using a low voltage charger. The high voltage super chargers are not meant to use daily.
  1. Regenerative Braking- Set your regenerative braking to “Standard”. This will increase the energy you get while braking.
  1. Avoid Low Battery Charge- You should avoid leaving your car for long periods of time below 20-30% battery charge. Your vehicle will use about 1% battery just sitting there operating the computers. Avoid letting it get so low that these small drains don’t kill your battery.
  1. Don’t Let Battery Get Too Cold- When you can, you should keep your Tesla stored in warm area above 20F. Cold weather can reduce the energy your battery stores. It’s best to leave it plugged in to allow some warmth from the charge.
  1. Don’t Let Battery Get Too Hot- Try to keep your Tesla in temperatures below 85F. In really hot temperatures the battery may take a little more energy trying to cool the battery. This is referred to as “Vampire Drain”. You can lose as much as 2-3% of your battery charge per day. To avoid this, leave your vehicle plugged in or try to park out of the direct sun.
  1. Fully Charge Every 3 Months– It’s a good practice to fully charge your battery every 3 months. This practice is called battery balancing. It will help maintain the maximum capacity to your battery.

Reactions: HMHM
Came across this list of best practices today. Number 7 says "fully charge every 3 months" for battery balancing, yet #1 says only do it when you plan to drive within a few hours. I do recall seeing this said before but also that you'd need to let the car sit 3 or 4 hours at that SOC for the rebalancing to occur. My current train of thought is to never push it to 100% unless absolutely necessary. Anyone doing this? I've never charged to 100 before and it's been a little over 3 months having the car.

7 Tesla Battery Maintenance Tips​

teslac.jpg
Your Tesla battery is designed to be relatively low maintenance, but there are some best practices to get the most out of your Tesla battery. I’ll share some valuable Tesla battery maintenance tips to improve your battery performance and longevity.
7 Tesla Battery Best Practices
  1. Partial Charge Battery- Battery Charging should be maintained between 20%-90% when possible. It’s best to only charge your battery to 100% when you plan to drive your Tesla within a few hours. In some models you can set the charging time to allow you to be 100% charged within a few hours.
  2. Low Voltage Charging- Tesla recommends that you maintain a regular every day charging schedule using a low voltage charger. The high voltage super chargers are not meant to use daily.
  3. Regenerative Braking- Set your regenerative braking to “Standard”. This will increase the energy you get while braking.
  4. Avoid Low Battery Charge- You should avoid leaving your car for long periods of time below 20-30% battery charge. Your vehicle will use about 1% battery just sitting there operating the computers. Avoid letting it get so low that these small drains don’t kill your battery.
  5. Don’t Let Battery Get Too Cold- When you can, you should keep your Tesla stored in warm area above 20F. Cold weather can reduce the energy your battery stores. It’s best to leave it plugged in to allow some warmth from the charge.
  6. Don’t Let Battery Get Too Hot- Try to keep your Tesla in temperatures below 85F. In really hot temperatures the battery may take a little more energy trying to cool the battery. This is referred to as “Vampire Drain”. You can lose as much as 2-3% of your battery charge per day. To avoid this, leave your vehicle plugged in or try to park out of the direct sun.
  7. Fully Charge Every 3 Months– It’s a good practice to fully charge your battery every 3 months. This practice is called battery balancing. It will help maintain the maximum capacity to your battery.
This information seems to be dated, incomplete. I would follow Tesla's recommendations regarding the battery per the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual.

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

No negatives here.

For what it's worth, my typical daily charge limit is 50% and has been for months. I return home from work with around 34%.

I usually charge to 80% before starting a road trip.
Been driving it for a week with setting it to 50% and usually get home at 43% sometimes down to 41% if I drove at higher speeds, more freeway, or more stoplight launches. Seems to not have a noticeable loss of power on the street. Certainly better than Chill mode which feels way too low on power to be safe for our traffic speeds.