TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Tesla should use dell build system***

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by stenkb, May 13, 2010.

1. stenkb

stenkb Roadster 938 Model S 5957

Nov 23, 2009
    Lethbridge, Alberta
    Just as an idea for Tesla, but as a soon to be owner of a 2010 roadster - and having heard from other owners - waiting for you car to be built and shipped would be easier if you knew the progress of your car.

When you purchase from Dell - you can log in and see what stage your computer is at in development and when/where it is shipped. (very informative for the consumer). With Tesla basing its structure on Silicon Valley standards - I would think this would be right up their alley......

Car production number.....
    Date car being built at Lotus Plant
    Date car being painted and colors
    Date interior fitted and colors
    Date car completed at Lotus Plant
    Date car shipped to Menlo Park, CA
    Date car completed in Menlo Park, CA
    Date car ready for shipping to consumer.
    Shipping reference number for consumer.
    Date consumer receives car.

Other thoughts?:cool:
  2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Apr 3, 2009
    I thought most companies did this now (or at the very least, your dealer could look it up). I think with most lower end cars, people buy right off the lot, so car co's didn't really have to put much effort into that.

but with something liek Tesla where most of their sales are actual custom orders, it would make sense to have a robust user-facing system (with direct contact for initial ordering to verify accuracy of course).
  3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Apr 2, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Totally agreed. It's like I dropped 140 large into a hole, and I don't hear much of anything for months.