Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla shutoff completely on the highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving from NYC to Boston. Around 7-8 PM last friday (4/12/19) my model 3 - 146XXX - completely shut off (headlights turned off, everything inside the car shut off). There was no warning or any sign. The car went into neutral, there were no cars around me and I was able to pull over (indicator lights did not work either). Within 30 secs of stopping, everything came back online and since I have driven over 500 miles with no problems. Has this happened to anyone else? I felt that it just needed a reboot. I haven't thought about it much. But, my parents think I need to bring it into the service center to have it looked at.

FYI - LR red AWD Model 3, I don't have autopilot, I bought the car in 12/2018. I exclusively use supercharger. I think I drove about 50-75 miles after supercharging before this happened. Also, I just passed a hidden cop about 200 yards when this happened (note sure if this is relevant)

Let me know what you think. Should I bring it into the service center? Are they able to look at logs remotely? I just don't like visiting my service center.

...I just don't like visiting my service center.

Computer reboot, automatically or manually, is expected for all of my 3 Tesla cars.

I've never worried about them as long as the functions come back.

However, it should not interfere with your driving which is a concern. I would call Service Center and they can look up the car log remotely to make sure nothing spooky is going on.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I would report it--that's a dangerous problem. What firmware are you on? I've had all sorts of problems with 2019.8.x, but nothing that bad. Just display problems, screen reboots, and just a few minutes ago a fully locked up car (no response from any controls-I had to reboot to bring it back). Fortunately, I was parked when that last one occurred.

Reactions: patrick80132
Sounds scary.. You need to have this checked out.
You should have immediately (when car came back on) activated voice control and Saida 'bug report'...that creates a times stamp.
Then call Tesla and ask them to review the logs..
You should calling even without the bug report and give them the exact times.