Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sightings in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually go weeks without seeing another Tesla, but today I saw 4!

- White one EV 2066 driving down Beretania near Nuuanu St this morning
- 3 sightings within 5 minutes around 5:15 tonight in the Ward/Queen street area - white one EV 2199, blue one EV 18xx, and a black one.

Saw a black MS parked at Kahala Mall on Friday night. The funny thing is there was Volt at the charging station and the guy was acting like he was owning the place with his shirt being off and sitting in his car. Not like he was shopping there.
You get that sometimes with Volt owners. they even think they have an electric car....:tongue:

You get that sometimes with Volt owners. they even think they have an electric car....:tongue:

Now, now. Let's not get too elitist! :wink:

Actually, to flip the sentiment, I bet a lot of other EV drivers think to themselves that Tesla Model S owners shouldn't park in the public charging stations because their car has such a limited range, and therefore needs the fill up more than we do. I know that's not the case for all of us, but sometimes I have a full charge having just come from home and feel bad about pulling into those stations when I still have 212 miles left showing on the power meter, but usually park anyway since I'm rarely there for more than 30 minutes to an hour and can get back up to a full charge in that time. Free charge is free charge, right?

To stay somewhat on topic, I spotted not a Tesla, but a Tesla owner. I went to the Hawaii Kai 7/11 and was approached by the guy that bought Akikiki's first Tesla. Nice guy, and I encouraged him to come out to one of our gatherings as he has not yet done so, but his commitments between family and job keep him too busy. He promised he would try though.

Now, now. Let's not get too elitist! :wink:

Actually, to flip the sentiment, I bet a lot of other EV drivers think to themselves that Tesla Model S owners shouldn't park in the public charging stations because their car has such a limited range, and therefore needs the fill up more than we do. I know that's not the case for all of us, but sometimes I have a full charge having just come from home and feel bad about pulling into those stations when I still have 212 miles left showing on the power meter, but usually park anyway since I'm rarely there for more than 30 minutes to an hour and can get back up to a full charge in that time. Free charge is free charge, right?

To stay somewhat on topic, I spotted not a Tesla, but a Tesla owner. I went to the Hawaii Kai 7/11 and was approached by the guy that bought Akikiki's first Tesla. Nice guy, and I encouraged him to come out to one of our gatherings as he has not yet done so, but his commitments between family and job keep him too busy. He promised he would try though.

Yes, he is a nice guy. I've known him for many years. He is one of the best people that I have ever known. No clever trying to be funny remark from me. Seriously.

Saw a black (maybe blue but I think black) Model S trying to get on Pali Hwy near Kailua this morning about 11am. I'm in town but driving a rental ICE. I keep pulling down the right handle on the steering wheel to put the ICE in drive, but it just turns on the wipers! And where's the 17" screen? I keep checking on my Model S with the app. Vampire drain, surprised.

Wow traffic is INSANE on Oahu. Such a shame the island doesn't have light rail everywhere. Way way too many smoke-belching gas-guzzling vehicles here.

[UPDATE] Saw another black Model S (maybe same one as this morning?), very shiny and lookin' good, in the parking lot at the Whole Foods Market in Kailua this evening, around 5pm. It was parked (very snugly) in one of the electric charging spots right next to the store. Geez, the spots at that shopping center seem designed for Smart cars or the Fiat 500, but nobody in their F150s seems to mind.

Yup, parking at that Whole Foods is tight, even for small cars. :)

Welcome to Oahu!

[UPDATE] Saw another black Model S (maybe same one as this morning?), very shiny and lookin' good, in the parking lot at the Whole Foods Market in Kailua this evening, around 5pm. It was parked (very snugly) in one of the electric charging spots right next to the store. .

That was meeee!!!! Yeah, that new 22PLE coating looks good, doesn't it?! (P.S. - not the same one as this morning...I usually commute on Likelike or H3.

Another sighting in HI! Was heading into Honolulu today from Pali Hwy and saw a white Model S at the southbound split at Nuuanu Ave and Pali Hwy.

ts-hi.jpg

By the time my slow-as-molasses iPhone 4 (running, when it feels like it, iOS7) had the Camera app running, the car had pulled pretty far away, but there it is.

Yup, parking at that Whole Foods is tight, even for small cars. :)

Welcome to Oahu!

parking is tight everywhere. especially in my assigned parking spot. I wonder when they are going to make the power folding mirrors available for retro fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Another sighting in HI! Was heading into Honolulu today from Pali Hwy and saw a white Model S at the southbound split at Nuuanu Ave and Pali Hwy.

By the time my slow-as-molasses iPhone 4 (running, when it feels like it, iOS7) had the Camera app running, the car had pulled pretty far away, but there it is.
there are a lot of Teslas here I think the only place with more per-captita is the San Francisco area. or is it texas.:confused:

On Wednesday nights I usually go to Whole Foods in Kailua and I have a contest with the person in the other seat to guess the color of the Leaf that will be in the best (closest to Whole Foods) EV charging slot. Sometimes I get that parking stall, though. A few weeks ago, someone in a spanking new SUV backed up from the other side of the parking row and I think they would have backed right into the nose of my MS if I hadn't honked. My guess is that they have parking sensors on the SUV, but they're set too high to detect the nose of a Tesla and he would have nailed my car. Since then, I have opted for parking in a little-used area near the First Hawaiian Bank. I'll recharge at home, thank you.

Oops, wrong thread!

Saw a new Model S (black if I recall correctly…sometimes hard to distinguish between black/blue/green) pulled over on the side of the Ala Wai near Kapahulu this morning. Unfortunately it was getting a ticket from a police officer. Don't police officers know that in addition to free parking in municipal lots, Model S is immune to traffic violations.:wink: Anyway sorry to the person who got the ticket.

Saw a new Model S (black if I recall correctly…sometimes hard to distinguish between black/blue/green) pulled over on the side of the Ala Wai near Kapahulu this morning. Unfortunately it was getting a ticket from a police officer. Don't police officers know that in addition to free parking in municipal lots, Model S is immune to traffic violations.:wink: Anyway sorry to the person who got the ticket.
I think it is just the 60s that are immune. the P85s are just turn "invisible" as soon as the light changes.

Not really a Hawaii sighting, but in San Jose I saw a brown one on the highway in front of me. (I think I saw about 10 of all colors except red driving on the streets there, in 5 days. not counting the ones at the factory or supercharging there) I was tempted to pull up behind them and take pictures with my cell phone.

Well, let's see if this counts as sightings. Today, I saw 6 new MS's out at the SC. Two White 85's, one Silver, one Black 85, one Grey 60 and one really hot Red 85 with a Red roof. One more shipment is due in before TM shuts down the factory for two weeks. So a few folks here are going to still get a Merry S Christmas.

Well, let's see if this counts as sightings. Today, I saw 6 new MS's out at the SC. Two White 85's, one Silver, one Black 85, one Grey 60 and one really hot Red 85 with a Red roof. One more shipment is due in before TM shuts down the factory for two weeks. So a few folks here are going to still get a Merry S Christmas.

Just to add, when I was at the factory I saw two MSs under the ship to Hawaii sign. (the rest were Tilburg). Yes, a very Merry ChristMS.