Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla slams into stationary fire truck. Driver killed. Police say “unclear” if AP/FSD at fault.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with that article is it says the vehicle involved is part of the recall for full self driving. It also states it is a 2014 model S. Those two statements can’t both be true as there’s (virtually) no chance (unless someone retrofitted hw 3.0 on a non 2.0 car) that it could have FSD and need to be recalled.
Either way, not a good look for Tesla. With so many lawsuits/NHTSA investigations/crashes, etc…Easy to understand why FSD was barely brought up at the recent investor day event.

Apparently, if Tesla announce that they need to download a software fix, it counts, in the USA as a recall. The term needs to be updated; it is misleading; 363, 000 cars were not physically recalled to have a fault repaired in a service centre. Also, a nice bit of sophistry here; tie the " recall" into the crash.
Recall has a very strong meaning and there never, ever has been a requirement that the car has to be taken anywhere. It's just that sending the car to the dealer has been the way to fix things.

For example, AFAIK California recall law ...

11) Requires a vehicle manufacturer to provide, upon
request, a consumer seeking to repair a recalled vehicle a
rental or loaner vehicle at no cost until the parts and/or
procedures become available, as specified.

And note that if, for example, a Tesla is unable to load a software fix, Tesla would _have to_ take it into a service center, and depending on the state law, _at its own cost_.

There are tons of consumer product recalls that don't require anybody to return the goods (they just get refunds and instructions on disposal) and nobody has ever complained about the terminology, presumably because they don't have many whiny fanbois.

Reactions: E90alex
Either way, not a good look for Tesla. With so many lawsuits/NHTSA investigations/crashes, etc…Easy to understand why FSD was barely brought up at the recent investor day event.
How many other crashes occur with adaptive cruise control? All you find is article after article that adaptive cruise control can increase the risk of fatal crashes due to excessive speeding and over confidence of the driver. But no statistics. Does that mean no other cars with ACC are crashing? Just Tesla? Or is it that they do crash from time to time, but they don't get reported by the media because car crashes are incredibly common (every 6 seconds)?

I'd love it if cars didn't crash at all. If AEB stopped all cars from ever rear ending another car. If Adaptive Cruise Control was infallible. But crashes happen, no matter the car company. Tesla is just on the leading edge, and the current whipping boy because of it.

On the flip side, every new high tech car is compared to Tesla. Every article about new EVs or ADAS features mentions Tesla. "Tesla killer. Finally dethrone Tesla. Watch out Tesla. Can this take down Tesla's dominance?" It's the price Tesla pays for being #1, I guess...

Recall has a very strong meaning and there never, ever has been a requirement that the car has to be taken anywhere. It's just that sending the car to the dealer has been the way to fix things.

For example, AFAIK California recall law ...

11) Requires a vehicle manufacturer to provide, upon
request, a consumer seeking to repair a recalled vehicle a
rental or loaner vehicle at no cost until the parts and/or
procedures become available, as specified.

And note that if, for example, a Tesla is unable to load a software fix, Tesla would _have to_ take it into a service center, and depending on the state law, _at its own cost_.

There are tons of consumer product recalls that don't require anybody to return the goods (they just get refunds and instructions on disposal) and nobody has ever complained about the terminology, presumably because they don't have many whiny fanbois.
Ha! What obtuse (wilful?) reading of my comment. Talk about missing my point....

"...whiny fanboys." I suppose you have a stock of trite and hackneyed insults, to suit the occasion, for people expressing an opinion with which you disagree. Would it be so hard for you to amicably agree to disagree? Or simply state your view, as you have set out above without stooping to the pejorative and thereby blowing your credibility?

Please consider my questions as rhetorical.

There is an investigation into another Tesla accident over the weekend in NY that resulted in deaths.
It is quite shocking, particularly for someone in a comparatively small country, to read that in 2021, there were 42,915 traffic accident* deaths on public roads in the USA. Here in the UK we had 1,460 fatalities in 2020. In 1926, when record keeping began, the UK total for the year was 4,886. Our highest peacetime rate was in the mid-sixties with approx. 8,000 deaths.

I don't mention this to make any particular point but I notice that notwithstanding more cars than ever on our roads the numbers are thankfully down. Of course, a single death one is too many.

*Our police rarely use the term "Traffic Accident" but rather "Traffic Collision ", the logic being that an accident is an unavoidable event.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
The U S has a lot more cars on the road than the the UK. UK has approx. 33 million cars on the road The US has approx 276 million cars on the road. Accidents and deaths would be higher due to more cars. The average UK driver puts 7400 miles a year on their car. The average US driver puts 14,263 miles a year on their car.

uk

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
The U S has a lot more cars on the road than the the UK. UK has approx. 33 million cars on the road The US has approx 276 million cars on the road. Accidents and deaths would be higher due to more cars. The average UK driver puts 7400 miles a year on their car. The average US driver puts 14,263 miles a year on their car.

uk

OMG! The USA is bigger than the UK!? 😀 Who knew!

Seriously though, (and no disrespect intended) I was in no way suggesting a like for like comparison. I assumed ( never a good idea) that members would surmise that I know the UK is a fraction the size of the USA.

Also, I was not suggesting that we are safer but rather that for such a small country (and as you point out, much lower average miles per year and yes, orders of magnitude fewer cars, facts of which I was also aware) we have a lot of road deaths.

There will, doubtless, be figures for deaths per X miles driven by country and even by make of car but I won't be looking it up because it is not, at least for me, a competition but rather a simple comment on the lamentable number of deaths as a result of vehicle collisions.....everywhere!

So, take good care all.

Last edited:
People rely too much on these safety systems. These systems allow people to get distracted too much. Cell use, playing with other things instead of actually paying attention. When the system doesn't work properly people are caught off guard. As advanced as Waymo is it still makes human mistakes.. Gets distracted and doesn't know what to do at times.