Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Updates for Model 3 New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Chinese military raised the issue about the cameras recording
if I remember correctly Tesla moved the Chinese data to a china based data centre

It's going to be inevitable the cabin camera will be turned on at some stage if you have FSD
If we eventually get Tesla insurance, by then it might be part of the deal
I guess you'd still have the option of not having either.

Reactions: Audietron
I think the Chinese military raised the issue about the cameras recording
if I remember correctly Tesla moved the Chinese data to a china based data centre

It's going to be inevitable the cabin camera will be turned on at some stage if you have FSD
If we eventually get Tesla insurance, by then it might be part of the deal
I guess you'd still have the option of not having either.
well... there is always a duct tape for camera... or a smiley sticker for AI 😂

ain't technology grand

That's unusual software updates are usually WiFi download only
Unless it's a urgent fix for something then it's over wifi or cellular data
Did you or someone else connect your car to the wrap place WiFi?

2021.32.21 cabin camera available in new regions .....
We all better be careful with romance mode then ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
ain't technology grand

That's unusual software updates are usually WiFi download only
Unless it's a urgent fix for something then it's over wifi or cellular data
Did you or someone else connect your car to the wrap place WiFi?

2021.32.21 cabin camera available in new regions .....
We all better be careful with romance mode then ;)
Over the Air updates are not suppose to wait for Wi-Fi I guess... It waited over night asking to connect for wifi source, before started to download without mention of wi-fi or anything.
So smart, yet so dumb... can see notification for many things but can't see the actual thing (good not saved in cloud someplace) as everything is locally in car...
Now just need to wait another 24/48/72 hours before I can check :cool:

I can see software downloading at slowest speed in my car (not with me, at detailing place getting wrapped) 2021.32.21... release note at this URL says cabin camera activated :eek: :rolleyes::oops:

Even before I start to drive the car, Privacy issues are introduced....
You are seeing a notification of a waiting update, it shouldnt be downloading unless its connected to wifi.

And what privacy issues?

"The cabin camera above your rearview mirror can now determine driver inattentiveness and provide you with audible alerts, to remind you to keep your eyes on the road when Autopilot is engaged. Camera images do not leave the vehicle itself, which means the system cannot save or transmit information unless you enable data sharing. To change your data settings, tap Controls > Safety & Security > Data Sharing on your car's touchscreen."

This also(part of the patch notes) doesnt apply to New Zealand, only USA.

Over the Air updates are not suppose to wait for Wi-Fi I guess... It waited over night asking to connect for wifi source, before started to download without mention of wi-fi or anything.
So smart, yet so dumb... can see notification for many things but can't see the actual thing (good not saved in cloud someplace) as everything is locally in car...
Now just need to wait another 24/48/72 hours before I can check :cool:

It generally waits for wifi. If its an important update tesla can push it over the LTE connection. No update are applied without your approval.

It generally waits for wifi. If its an important update tesla can push it over the LTE connection. No update are applied without your approval.
Oh I didn't meant it started without approval... WHat I meant was that it shouldn't wait around for Wifi, as updates are going to use less bandwidth than Netflix movie allowed to be live stream (in many cases).

But, again, I can see the logic behind waiting for wi-fi... if connected to wifi, means either parked someplace or drive nearby hot spotting mobile for update. a safety feature.

DO you work for Tesla or invest heavily in Tesla?

I'm a shareholder berceuse I believe in teslas mission. Dont and likely never will work for them!

Should it download over lte? eh remember the video streaming etc is part of a paid subscription that not everyone has.
My car is just an 4 day old infant... premium connectivity is on free demo phase so likely that's the one fronting data bill.
at $10/month how hard it would have been for Tesla to give premium connectivity for free during warranty duration? that's probably $1000/car extra over warranty period, but much more flawless user experience and reduced admin overhead.

But again, Tesla charges $500 extra to activate your pre-fitted heated rear seats.... :rolleyes:

tbh tesla was just looking for ways to differentiate between premium interior and partial there I think. $500 is easier than not having them and getting them fitted later!

As for connectivity I dont think any car or device that can use significant data comes with that free (tho some 3's have free lifetime connectivity I missed out by 2-3 days..).

You dont have to pay either you can wifi hotspot your phone if you want to use that.

tbh tesla was just looking for ways to differentiate between premium interior and partial there I think. $500 is easier than not having them and getting them fitted later!

As for connectivity I dont think any car or device that can use significant data comes with that free (tho some 3's have free lifetime connectivity I missed out by 2-3 days..).

You dont have to pay either you can wifi hotspot your phone if you want to use that.
It's not about money, it's about that feeling of something is finished or whole.
Costs very little for companies to make customer feel special.
Many non-Tesla car vendors with built in LTE connection give it for free.... If buying $2000 it's no brainer to be required to buy mobile plan (whole point of keeping price down), but buying 70-200K car, it's no brainer to think about built in features in need of activation.

Either Tesla making killing out of that easy to activate features, or huge lose of installing hardware only few people like me activating the moment they receive their car - rest simply wasted and destroying our planet with wastage.

I assume this is free

But it only does basic functions that you get free in a tesla anyhow
Audi got many secrets they don't market... my most of the A8L had that hot spotting for free capabilities and unlimited internet for free.
but again, Audi charges for software update after certain time.. less of the company charging for it, and more of the authorised dealer trying to charge as much they could, middle man are always necessary evil (as supports jobs) extra cost.

I am not criticising Tesla, just pointing out that instead of reducing the price by $3000, they can provide a option for user to opt for all inclusive model with ability to remove some features (rear seat heating, premium connectivity etc) to save on upfront cost... I know it's same as charging extra on base model, but it's still different as opt out model opposite to opt-in model. opt-in got none of that covered with insurance and finance, opt out model everything is always covered by both.

I cant find mention of wifi hotspot on NZ (connect plus) but on Oz its there but requires a sim and data plan?
1632875106385.png

• Informative
In USA its $20 a month by the looks

1632876894388.png

In UK/Europe you buy data in chunks.

• Informative