Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Updates for Model 3 New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes! As a not-yet-owner-but-ordered-and-paid-$400-deposit, reading this thread is filling me with dread. I'm almost at the point of writing off the modest deposit and calling it quits. Changing wheel sizes back and forth to force a software update? Inconsistent rollout? No decent release notes? Everyone guessing "will they or won't they" about certain upgrades? Software upgrades looking like downgrades by general consensus?

Suddenly I'm very apprehensive about my supposed May delivery.
Enjoy the ride; it'll be worth it!

Yikes! As a not-yet-owner-but-ordered-and-paid-$400-deposit, reading this thread is filling me with dread. I'm almost at the point of writing off the modest deposit and calling it quits. Changing wheel sizes back and forth to force a software update? Inconsistent rollout? No decent release notes? Everyone guessing "will they or won't they" about certain upgrades? Software upgrades looking like downgrades by general consensus?

It's having many plus, and many minuses... when car keeps adding new features, which is excising for anyone driving traditional cars and dealer visits - not knowing what software update contains is like trusting Tesla to do right by it (I don't, as bug fixed silently hides the facts that how many cars were at risk before the fix).... but again, you can't have a coin without two sides.

If you went as far as booking a car - you probably did your own research.... do some more and probably rent a Tesla from many rental companies out there.... It will be worth money and time spent before you pay remaining money for your new car.

Most likely you would go ahead for Tesla model 3.... but chances you end up waiting longer or go to rival...

Software updates come when they come. People get all fired up about them having to wait or whatever. But just relax and they happen. I've had my car for 2.5 years and still love it. Over that time an average of about 2 weeks between updates. Many minor ones, some big ones, and lots of new features. People complain about things that change and then complain about not getting changes. Go figure

Reactions: Deano_NZ

You're worrying about nothing

Your car is going to get better and more features for nothing, just by accepting to update
No appointment necessary, no driving to a dealer, no wasting 1/2 a day and being charged exorbitant fees

I Wouldn't say the software rollout is inconstant, it's unknown how Tesla choose to do it, what criteria they use
Which causes people to come up with crazy theories and ideas and gives them something to talk about
What is known is you will get software updates, Tesla chooses when.
Then you'll receive a notification you have software update available
Normally it's up to you to choose to install it or not
As a general rule US first followed by rest of the world

Software releases can vary between countries mostly due to what is and is not approved by different countries

There are release notes, there are no notes on bug fixes

My Model 3 got 2022.4.5.11 last night. The person from Tesla Service last week said the newer Teslas are being updated more often than older ones. Took delivery about 2 weeks ago and have had 3 software updates since.
Here's the last 2 months updates for my 2019

11/03/2022 - 2022.4.5.16
23/02/2022 - 2022.4.5.3
15/02/2022 - 2022.4.5
12/02/2022 - 2021.44.30.14
10/02/2022 - 2021.44.30.13

The only thing I noticed that's new in 2022.4.5.16
Cabin camera enabled, the rest is pretty much the same as 2022.4.5.x
Still no sentry remote viewing
----------------

Cabin Camera

Help Tesla improve the intelligence of features that rely on cabin camera by sharing analytics from your vehicle.
When enabled, cabin camera data will be shared with Tesla if the vehicle experiences a safety critical event like
a collision, or if cabin camera functionality requires diagnostics to perform.

This data includes short cabin camera video clips to help us further develop future safety features and
software enhancements such as collision avoidance updates.

As usual, you can adjust your data sharing preferences by tapping
Controls > Software > Data Sharing > Allow Cabin Camera Analytics.

• Funny
Reactions: Audietron
Here's the last 2 months updates for my 2019

11/03/2022 - 2022.4.5.16
23/02/2022 - 2022.4.5.3
15/02/2022 - 2022.4.5
12/02/2022 - 2021.44.30.14
10/02/2022 - 2021.44.30.13
Last 3 of them are technically the same release notes.... basically same gift in new package without mentioning that fixing bugs???
Only thing changed to really good change is FSD now creates virtual driving lane where lanes are not on road, allowing car to drive straight compare to car driving left to right on road like driver is drunk.

The only thing I noticed that's new in 2022.4.5.16
Cabin camera enabled, the rest is pretty much the same as 2022.4.5.x
Still no sentry remote viewing
----------------

Cabin Camera

Help Tesla improve the intelligence of features that rely on cabin camera by sharing analytics from your vehicle.
When enabled, cabin camera data will be shared with Tesla if the vehicle experiences a safety critical event like
a collision, or if cabin camera functionality requires diagnostics to perform.

This data includes short cabin camera video clips to help us further develop future safety features and
software enhancements such as collision avoidance updates.

As usual, you can adjust your data sharing preferences by tapping
Controls > Software > Data Sharing > Allow Cabin Camera Analytics.
Only cabin camera advantage they are mentioning is "When you crash, they upload your inside video to Tesla so it can be shared with Tesla team (and Insurance)"... funny.
I believe hidden change cabin camera brings is FSD speed control... I noticed that if I am seating around and enjoying the scenery or food, car reducing the speed or asking to touch steering more frequently based on my distraction level - compare to usual frequent steering prompts. Means more improved FSD experience. Finally getting there.

My Model 3 got 2022.4.5.11 last night. The person from Tesla Service last week said the newer Teslas are being updated more often than older ones. Took delivery about 2 weeks ago and have had 3 software updates since.
probably because when other cars were updating, those new cars were either on assembly line or on way to New Zealand... so catching up on old updates... not same as more frequently updated but feels like that.

I haven't driven with 2022.4.5.16 enough yet
Not sure if enabling the cabin camera also enables it for driver monitoring while using AP/FSD
I don't think that was mentioned in the release notes
Oh!!! you getting special treatment where release notes mention useful details, something other than repetitive top level feature names?
With Tesla, it's about behaving like an AI.... it takes AI to appreciate AI i guess - so they want us to keep track of every micro details and notice if anything changed, because release notes are need to know basis.

I noticed quickly as I only drive manually if my car plays like if it's under influence of alcohol/drugs... otherwise It's FSD's job to drive it.