Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it pulls from your PW only. If your total load is under the 5.8kw. If your home is using more. Say 9.8kwh total. Then it will take from grid and PW. You can set your charging rate lower.
Hmmm, interesting, sun is setting now and about to begin pulling from PW even though it just managed to charge to 36%. Hoping that gets me to 9pm and then everything should pull from grid no? PW would charge to 100% and any home use would be from grid too.

Just got my install done today but the Tesla app didn’t let me set my nights free plan as 0c with 3c buyback, got the following error. How did you set yours up?
I was on the same boat as you, I figured out if you only use Peak/Off-Peak and leave the buying/selling price as empty, the app can accept it. If you used Super Off Peak/Peak, you can't leave the buying/selling price as empty. Also, all the solar generation would be sold to the grid during Peak time (till your PW hit reserved percentage) by setting the plan like this.

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 17.28.22.jpg
IMG_0585.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
Hmmm, interesting, sun is setting now and about to begin pulling from PW even though it just managed to charge to 36%. Hoping that gets me to 9pm and then everything should pull from grid no? PW would charge to 100% and any home use would be from grid too.
You can play around with the backup reserve slider. Drop it to 10%. For tonight. It’s supposed to be sunny in the morning. All week I think. You will soon become a 10- day weatherman. 😆. You can also just charge from the grid at your lowest buying time. But consult with your Tax Person. Like Tesla says. 😆. I honestly have played around with my PW settings hourly. I have it charging at 11:45 pm on the weekdays. On Tesla Electric plan. It uses the PW from 4-7 pm. Then around 12am- 3am it will start pulling from the PW again. Until the Sun comes out and starts producing good. So I set my charge rate a little lower. So it will pull about 3-4kwh. Anything under 5.8kwh. I leave home at 8am now. So I’m good to go way before then. On the weekends I’m off. I charge to 90%. Around 10am when I’m pulling in about 8kwh or more.

• Funny
Reactions: DrewHou
I believe it pulls from your PW only. If your total load is under the 5.8kw. If your home is using more. Say 9.8kwh total. Then it will take from grid and PW. You can set your charging rate lower.
Agreed it will pull from PW. Which I have tried two different strategies and kinda flip between the two depending on the day and needs and solar forecast.

1) leave the system in self power mode and lower the charging amps on my car and use my car for excess solar when PW is full (manual process unfortunately)

2) system in time based mode and schedule car to charge off peak. This lets you keep your PW charge in place and charge only from the grid.

If Tesla would just add an option to push excess solar to my car automatically I’d really be happy.

I was on the same boat as you, I figured out if you only use Peak/Off-Peak and leave the buying/selling price as empty, the app can accept it. If you used Super Off Peak/Peak, you can't leave the buying/selling price as empty. Also, all the solar generation would be sold to the grid during Peak time (till your PW hit reserved percentage) by setting the plan like this.

View attachment 894043View attachment 894044
I’ll try that, make sense because we wouldn’t be selling solar at off peak since it’s night hehe. Good catch ;)

Edit: it didn’t let me, guess they added a check for blank/zero

Agreed it will pull from PW. Which I have tried two different strategies and kinda flip between the two depending on the day and needs and solar forecast.

1) leave the system in self power mode and lower the charging amps on my car and use my car for excess solar when PW is full (manual process unfortunately)

2) system in time based mode and schedule car to charge off peak. This lets you keep your PW charge in place and charge only from the grid.

If Tesla would just add an option to push excess solar to my car automatically I’d really be happy.
I only charge the car at night so option 2) is what I’m hopping will happen. Right now PW is charging of grid to 100%, car Is set to Precondition/charge by 7am, so it should not drain PW at all imo. First night jitters! lol

I only charge the car at night so option 2) is what I’m hopping will happen. Right now PW is charging of grid to 100%, car Is set to Precondition/charge by 7am, so it should not drain PW at all imo. First night jitters! lol
It is exciting! I am still trying to figure out my production and what works best but I love combing over data so it’s a win! 😂

I used to grid charge at night but found that I actually didn’t need to that I had plenty of battery and solar to keep running unless I hit a really bad production day. Congrats and I’m sure you will figure out what works best for you with time.

65D06B4B-0EB2-46A1-9573-637C86CB0BD4.png

Anyone else getting a server error? I have tried rebooting everything and I am still getting it. If I click on the server error it goes away and shows production as normal but then goes back to server error again.

Nothing else on my Wi-Fi is having issues and as said I rebooted everything as well. Maybe Tesla is having actual sever issues.

Reactions: Jones1
View attachment 894198
Anyone else getting a server error? I have tried rebooting everything and I am still getting it. If I click on the server error it goes away and shows production as normal but then goes back to server error again.

Nothing else on my Wi-Fi is having issues and as said I rebooted everything as well. Maybe Tesla is having actual sever issues.

Yup, happening to me and a bunch of Reddit folks. Seems to refresh once you press the error though.

View attachment 894198

Me too

View attachment 894198

We get the same, “Server Error” code, and it goes away on its own. I figured it was Tesla rebooting the system.
1673386710139.png

Hahaha I just upgraded to the new 6E Orbi 3-pack. I got the one in black and what a difference in made!
This would be the Quad band? I told my wife. Our Orbi is 4-5 years old. I got it in 2018. It’s probably time for a new one. Or AT&T is throttling us. Trying to get us to sign up for the $180 5gig plan. 😆

• Funny
This would be the Quad band? I told my wife. Our Orbi is 4-5 years old. I got it in 2018. It’s probably time for a new one. Or AT&T is throttling us. Trying to get us to sign up for the $180 5gig plan. 😆
Yeah Quad band 960. I was having a lot of issues because there is way to many smart devices on my network and the orbi solved them. Plus helps with the IOT network being only 2.4 so my Tesla gateway doesn’t have to struggle for signal

Yeah Quad band 960. I was having a lot of issues because there is way to many smart devices on my network and the orbi solved them. Plus helps with the IOT network being only 2.4 so my Tesla gateway doesn’t have to struggle for signal
Wow. I haven’t seen the one in black yet. Sweet. I currently have 66 smart devices on my Orbi RBR20 3 pack. I definitely need to upgrade. Back in the day it was amazing. My outdoor cameras were quick to load. Nice. I moved into my new house. The Orbi worked pretty good for the first year. Then I added 3 more Apple TV’s , MacBook for my office and TV’s. Etc. I think I’m over my limit. For my old Orbi. I was looking at TP Link 6E. But I’m an Orbi guy. 😆. I’ll check it out. Thanks.

Wow. I haven’t seen the one in black yet. Sweet. I currently have 66 smart devices on my Orbi RBR20 3 pack. I definitely need to upgrade. Back in the day it was amazing. My outdoor cameras were quick to load. Nice. I moved into my new house. The Orbi worked pretty good for the first year. Then I added 3 more Apple TV’s , MacBook for my office and TV’s. Etc. I think I’m over my limit. For my old Orbi. I was looking at TP Link 6E. But I’m an Orbi guy. 😆. I’ll check it out. Thanks.
That makes me feel better about my purchase then. This is my first Orbi after many years on Google / Nest Wi-Fi. I picked the Orbi just for the IOT network for the Span and Tesla and I am happy with the results. If you go buy one maybe don’t tell the wife where the topic came up at. She’s eventually going to ban you from this site 😂 started with solar but the forum now got you buying drones and routers.

I need to stop myself but now I’m thinking of quoting tinted windows on the house to reduce AC usage. I need to act more like there’s a recession coming I guess though… haha

• Funny