Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes me feel better about my purchase then. This is my first Orbi after many years on Google / Nest Wi-Fi. I picked the Orbi just for the IOT network for the Span and Tesla and I am happy with the results. If you go buy one maybe don’t tell the wife where the topic came up at. She’s eventually going to ban you from this site 😂 started with solar but the forum now got you buying drones and routers.

I need to stop myself but now I’m thinking of quoting tinted windows on the house to reduce AC usage. I need to act more like there’s a recession coming I guess though… haha
I have a friend/co worker that went with Solar Screens on all of his windows. It looks great. He said it does a great job of blocking the heat out.

@DrewHou or any AT&T Fiber customer. Or anyone with 2-5gig speed internet plan. Lol

I’m doing a overhaul of my home network. It is definitely out of date. I’m running 60-70 device on a AT&T 1000 fiber modem and a Orbi Wi-Fi 5 RBK20. Both devices or only rated to Handle 20 or so devices simultaneously.
I’m starting with the Modem and speed. Then buying a new Orbi. Looking at the 6E.

Are y’all on a 2 gig or 5 gig plan? 2 gig might do it for me. If I go with the Orbi 6E or any 6E capability router. I’m thinking i need the max 5gig?
What are y’all thoughts. I k ow this isn’t Solar related. But it actually is. Because of our gateway and PW connection.

Thanks.

Reactions: DrewHou
That makes me feel better about my purchase then. This is my first Orbi after many years on Google / Nest Wi-Fi. I picked the Orbi just for the IOT network for the Span and Tesla and I am happy with the results. If you go buy one maybe don’t tell the wife where the topic came up at. She’s eventually going to ban you from this site 😂 started with solar but the forum now got you buying drones and routers.

I need to stop myself but now I’m thinking of quoting tinted windows on the house to reduce AC usage. I need to act more like there’s a recession coming I guess though… haha
Upgrading the windows is something I'm looking into also. We have double pane builders-grade windows that are pretty worthless. You could feel the cold air gushing in during the Christmas Break. You mentioned tinting windows but I'm looking at upgrading them to European Three Pane windows for a better seal and less noise. Check it out: https://www.eas-usa.com/Products_Alu.cfm Beware might lead you to further upgrades lol.

• Funny
@DrewHou or any AT&T Fiber customer. Or anyone with 2-5gig speed internet plan. Lol

I’m doing a overhaul of my home network. It is definitely out of date. I’m running 60-70 device on a AT&T 1000 fiber modem and a Orbi Wi-Fi 5 RBK20. Both devices or only rated to Handle 20 or so devices simultaneously.
I’m starting with the Modem and speed. Then buying a new Orbi. Looking at the 6E.

Are y’all on a 2 gig or 5 gig plan? 2 gig might do it for me. If I go with the Orbi 6E or any 6E capability router. I’m thinking i need the max 5gig?
What are y’all thoughts. I k ow this isn’t Solar related. But it actually is. Because of our gateway and PW connection.

Thanks.
So here is my opinion… I would do it the other way around. Upgrade the network and then see if you need to upgrade the fiber coming in. Even with 100+ devices on the network I would assume only a handful need true high speeds. I have 1gig fiber and was looking into multi gig but once I upgraded my router I realized I didn’t need more speed I just needed more throughput on my network.

Work pays for my home internet plan so I try to be frugal with their money too lol. Maybe you have use cases that would warrant more speed though.

Just my two cents, well ten cents now with inflation.

• Love
Reactions: Jones1
Upgrading the windows is something I'm looking into also. We have double pane builders-grade windows that are pretty worthless. You could feel the cold air gushing in during the Christmas Break. You mentioned tinting windows but I'm looking at upgrading them to European Three Pane windows for a better seal and less noise. Check it out: https://www.eas-usa.com/Products_Alu.cfm Beware might lead you to further upgrades lol.
Bro… I am afraid to click the link for fear of going broke haha. Neighbors think I’m already crazy, I can picture their thoughts when I rip all the windows out of a 5 year old house 😂. I have the same builder grade windows too though I wonder what the ROI would be on going 3 pane.

• Funny
So here is my opinion… I would do it the other way around. Upgrade the network and then see if you need to upgrade the fiber coming in. Even with 100+ devices on the network I would assume only a handful need true high speeds. I have 1gig fiber and was looking into multi gig but once I upgraded my router I realized I didn’t need more speed I just needed more throughput on my network.

Work pays for my home internet plan so I try to be frugal with their money too lol. Maybe you have use cases that would warrant more speed though.

Just my two cents, well ten cents now with inflation.
Ok. Thanks buddy. I did that about 5 years ago. It was my trash , free modem/ router from AT&T. I update to Orbi then went to fiber. Thanks. I’m ordering a new router today.

I changed out my 42 windows with double plan laminated glass setups! So much quieter

I came from single pane on my first home. To double pane on my second home. Now I hear there is a triple pane. Wow. I believe the builder told us. There is a gas in between the double pane. I’m not sure. It is definitely a big difference in single and double. I’m tempted to get the solar screens. I like the way they look.

Is anyone willing to talk me down?
My wife couldn’t. 😂

1673480472010.png

Update.

I just disconnected my whole home. To take the other bi out of the loop. I already have a MacBook hooked directly to the AT&T modem. I did a speed test with my MacBook plugged directly into the device. Ethernet. I only got 90mbps. IT’s AT&T. Not the Orbi. I’m paying for the 1gig speed. I should be getting 800-900mbps. Plugged in. Wtf. I’m calling them. Before I buy anything new.

Reactions: DrewHou and GWord
Update.

I just disconnected my whole home. To take the other bi out of the loop. I already have a MacBook hooked directly to the AT&T modem. I did a speed test with my MacBook plugged directly into the device. Ethernet. I only got 90mbps. IT’s AT&T. Not the Orbi. I’m paying for the 1gig speed. I should be getting 800-900mbps. Plugged in. Wtf. I’m calling them. Before I buy anything new.

Try changing cables as well. Poor cable termination or bend radius can cause a fallback to slower Ethernet speeds.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
After 30 minutes of chat and AT&T BS. They decided to ship me a new Modem/router. Then I will buy a new Orbi. 90mbps via Ethernet. F That.
Holy crap that’s insane! I wish there were other fiber providers other than AT&T in the area. I would switch in a heartbeat if I could. Cable isn’t an option because of their data caps and horribly bad upload speeds. At this point AT&T might have talked you out of needing the new Orbi 😂

• Funny
Holy crap that’s insane! I wish there were other fiber providers other than AT&T in the area. I would switch in a heartbeat if I could. Cable isn’t an option because of their data caps and horribly bad upload speeds. At this point AT&T might have talked you out of needing the new Orbi 😂
I was going to threaten them. That I would leave for Xfinity. We all know that was a lie. 😂

I was going to threaten them. That I would leave for Xfinity. We all know that was a lie. 😂
Hahaha that’s how I always get them to give me the latest promo price when it goes down 😂 promising I am canceling knowing damn well the first thing I did when I bought this house was get rid of that ugly cable box on the side of the house and cut my house off from those old cables 🤣

Update.

Are you sure the cable you used had all 4 pairs straight through (ie. full Cat5e or Cat6 cable)??? I went over to my brother in law's house and he said their laptop is super slow even though it's on Gigabit Ethernet. I looked at the cable between the laptop and the wall and I could see through the transparent plug shell that it only had 4 wires in the 8 positions, so it could only go at 100Mbit Ethernet speeds. I don't know where he got that crappy molded patch cable.

They also have 1Gig AT&T Fiber service. I'm only a mile away and I can't get it. I'm stuck with Comcrap.