Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as I can charge two EVs unlimited at night and charge my powerwalls at night and only have a 6 dollar bill every month as currently is my case, Tesla electric would be a bad decision. Also since it’s Tesla electric and they can see Tesla charging I wonder if this means it’s truly ONLY car charging for free and not just free energy hours.

If I had an oversized system then maybe it would make sense because like you said the credits could potentially pay for the fee. It’s very interesting. Are you going to be our groups test subject for this one too @Jones1 ? 😂
If I own my system and it was installed this year, Can I charge my PW at night with the free night plan? Will this affect my ability to get tax credit next year?

😂

Yes I will. 😂
I was just telling my wife. With 3 EV’s. We will need this plan. 😂
🤣 man I owe you a beer or coffee or something for all the data on these plans 🤣

You right ERCOT def coming to f it all up any day now. I have a feeling they will be coming for my free nights + free Centerpoint delivery fees soon. No way they continue to let me just use all this energy and pay nothing for it 😂 but until then screw em I will try and use as much as I can 😂 anybody need free charging at nights let me know I can leave my plug under the garage door hahahahaha

If I own my system and it was installed this year, Can I charge my PW at night with the free night plan? Will this affect my ability to get tax credit next year?
As far as I know installed in 2023 doesn’t have any type of tax penalty for grid charging at all.

I was installed 2022 and Tesla delivered it to me with grid charging turned on by default and so far no issue and await my refund currently. Typically I don’t find a need to grid charge at night unless I know the weather will be bad for a couple of days.

That’s my experience anyways.

Reactions: DTXMME and Jones1
He will probably tell you over the phone. Before he types it out. I told my coworker face to face. I was too scared to text it. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: DrewHou
As long as I can charge two EVs unlimited at night and charge my powerwalls at night and only have a 6 dollar bill every month as currently is my case, Tesla electric would be a bad decision. Also since it’s Tesla electric and they can see Tesla charging I wonder if this means it’s truly ONLY car charging for free and not just free energy hours.

If I had an oversized system then maybe it would make sense because like you said the credits could potentially pay for the fee. It’s very interesting. Are you going to be our groups test subject for this one too @Jones1 ? 😂
I agreed. It looks like it is only for car charging, I suspect you still have to pay for TDU. Here up north, I have to pay a base fee for the retailer and TNMP, the energy charge for the retailer, and then TDU/kwh for TNMP + Tax, even if I use absolutely nothing, the monthly bill still be ~ $17 from Rhythm. Unless someone has several EVs that require long charges, it is probably not worth it.

Reactions: DrewHou
Tesla Electric.

To clarify.
If the new plans or updated plan.
Has a $30 option to pay for Unlimited night charging. While keeping the Net metering or buy back. Then it is a great option. If it’s only a unlimited charging plan for nights. With no net or buy back. Then no. It sucks.

Tesla Electric.

To clarify.
If the new plans or updated plan.
Has a $30 option to pay for Unlimited night charging. While keeping the Net metering or buy back. Then it is a great option. If it’s only a unlimited charging plan for nights. With no net or buy back. Then no. It sucks.
Or if they take away your control of setting on the power wall, essentially everything is at the mercy of Tesla, pay at least 30 + TDSP fees.

Reactions: Jones1
Or if they take away your control of setting on the power wall, essentially everything is at the mercy of Tesla, pay at least 30 + TDSP fees.
I guess I’m hoping it’s like when I finally purchased my MYP. I waited. I was going to purchase a Model 3 in 2017-18. But I didn’t want to give it a chance. Obviously that was a mistake. I kept driving my Ram 1500 for 5 more years. That’s about $18,000 - $24,000. I spent on gas. So I’m hoping it will be like my Tesla vehicle experience. When I picked up my Tesla from the delivery center. The next week Gas Ripped up. I was charging free at work. I saved thousands last year. Hopefully they come out with better plans. If not. Yes I’m still saving money. But I can get a better deal. With the Realiant free nights plan currently. I’m in for 12 months. I’ll keep the updates coming.

Reactions: cbdream99
I guess I’m hoping it’s like when I finally purchased my MYP. I waited. I was going to purchase a Model 3 in 2017-18. But I didn’t want to give it a chance. Obviously that was a mistake. I kept driving my Ram 1500 for 5 more years. That’s about $18,000 - $24,000. I spent on gas. So I’m hoping it will be like my Tesla vehicle experience. When I picked up my Tesla from the delivery center. The next week Gas Ripped up. I was charging free at work. I saved thousands last year. Hopefully they come out with better plans. If not. Yes I’m still saving money. But I can get a better deal. With the Realiant free nights plan currently. I’m in for 12 months. I’ll keep the updates coming.
For me, since I am working from home and do not use it much, I set mine charge to 60% when the solar production peaks, the solar excess during the day usually covers any grid usage. If I just happen to go to a nearby SC, then I will charge it 90% since it is free for me. Free nights definitely come out better than any buybacks, keep it while it is still available.

Tesla Electric Update

🤔

View attachment 912773
Thoughts……
It's better than the Shell MP2 EV charging plan that only allowed for 2hrs of charging at night. Still need more details though, does this mean Tesla Electric knows what is being charged by your EV? Or is this just another way of saying "Free Nights" with a $30 minimum fee? Otherwise, how do you tell EV charging loads apart from the rest of the home?

I’ll go first.
If I’m charging. On average 20 kWh per night.
Say I’m using 5kWh from the PW and 15 from the Grid.

Right now .141 X 15kWh = 2.11 per night. X 30 days is $63.45 about.
It would be worth it to me. I could move my back up reserve up higher. Say 80% at night. Then charge from grid for free. Then lower the reserve to run house till the Sun comes out. No Free nights. But it works out great for me. I charge at night.

Thoughts….
It definitely makes sense if you're already on the Tesla Electric plan. Charging the EV when I was on a Fixed Rate plan was about $50 a month, so if you have more than one EV the fee makes sense if you're not switching.

I think the Tesla Electric plan is more for the ideal of moving everyone to renewables even if it's not the cheapest option for the consumer. That plus seeing how the summer buyback works (for those with PW) might make it worth it. With Free Nights and Solar (with a terrible buyback), we really limit our ROI on the system. At some point, the best you can do is just not spend anything but we can't make back enough on our investment to shorten it. Tesla already keeps the SERC credits, we don't have 1:1 net metering, and no incentives besides the Federal Tax credit. So in a sense, if Tesla Electric allows us to get more from our system by using the PW as a distributed energy storage for the grid and getting compensated for it, it improves the ROI overall. But from what I've seen of @Jones1 bills, he will need to be pulling in +200 dollars in credits during the summer!

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
I think the Tesla Electric plan is more for the ideal of moving everyone to renewables even if it's not the cheapest option for the consumer. That plus seeing how the summer buyback works (for those with PW) might make it worth it. With Free Nights and Solar (with a terrible buyback), we really limit our ROI on the system. At some point, the best you can do is just not spend anything but we can't make back enough on our investment to shorten it. Tesla already keeps the SERC credits, we don't have 1:1 net metering, and no incentives besides the Federal Tax credit. So in a sense, if Tesla Electric allows us to get more from our system by using the PW as a distributed energy storage for the grid and getting compensated for it, it improves the ROI overall. But from what I've seen of @Jones1 bills, he will need to be pulling in +200 dollars in credits during the summer!
$300. 😂