Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cleaned the ones I could reach. With my Pressure Washer two weeks ago. I will be buying a extension and brush. Like some one had recommended. A few months back.

I was drilling holes in my new storage shed. When it started pouring down. I tan in the house. My wife told me the power must have went out. For the PW less neighbors. I didn’t get a Grid down notice. My wife saw the lights flash. I’m back on grid. Charging to 50%. Just in case.
The way mine are I think the only way to clean them is to get on the second story roof which I’m not bold enough to do 😂

We have power over here I didn’t even realize it was raining until my dog was trying to hide under me and I paused the TV to hear the rain. Best sound I had heard in a long time.

• Funny
Reactions: Jones1
The way mine are I think the only way to clean them is to get on the second story roof which I’m not bold enough to do 😂

We have power over here I didn’t even realize it was raining until my dog was trying to hide under me and I paused the TV to hear the rain. Best sound I had heard in a long time.
I got on my kids Trampoline. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: DrewHou
Did I read normal light dirt on panels does not impact electricity generation?
That’s pretty much what I have read that it’s low impact but overtime can cause drops. Being in my first year I am not sure what to expect per month so I do not know how I can quantify if I am getting reduced production or not. I’m sure the temperatures lately is hurting production more than the dirt though 🥵

Also other thing I worry about because I’m on Lake Houston is the crazy amount of seagulls I have on my roof and flying overhead. Although I don’t know if rain is enough to remove bird droppings from panels or not either…

That’s pretty much what I have read that it’s low impact but overtime can cause drops. Being in my first year I am not sure what to expect per month so I do not know how I can quantify if I am getting reduced production or not. I’m sure the temperatures lately is hurting production more than the dirt though 🥵

Also other thing I worry about because I’m on Lake Houston is the crazy amount of seagulls I have on my roof and flying overhead. Although I don’t know if rain is enough to remove bird droppings from panels or not either…
There must be a solar panel cleaning company you can hire, similar to house cleaning
Also a spray on treatment for after, like a RainX type but more perm
Don’t go up and clean yourself
I’ve met handicapped people they did that

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
I did leave out a lot of information .. sorry!
One person, 2 story house. Everything is gas powered except the AC of course. I just need the electric spark to ignite the gas. I estimate usage to be approx < 1kWh during the day without AC.

I am going to get 2 x PW2 installed. I've lived here for about 27 years and the longest the power has been down is between 2 - 3 days after Ike and during the 2021 freeze. Without AC I'm hoping the 2 x PWs will make it.

I was mostly curious about any potential roadblocks, one solar salesperson told me that you are not allowed to power batteries from the grid in the state of Texas. Presumably to sell me solar panels. This sounded very suspicious, don't folks charge EVs every day?

I am also curious how many kWh it takes to charge 2 Powerwalls.
I think there is a lot to take into consideration. How much your power usage is, how many PWs you are looking to purchase, how many hours / days you want backup for… all that determines what to expect and any potential downfalls.

Personally for me, I prefer having my backup source not having a true hard limit… with solar even if I deplete the PWs I can charge them back up if the outage is for a long timeframe. With some very small changes (cutting back AC) I could technically run indefinitely without the grid.

There must be a solar panel cleaning company you can hire, similar to house cleaning
Also a spray on treatment for after, like a RainX type but more perm
Don’t go up and clean yourself
I’ve met handicapped people they did that

I've heard good things about A&E SOLAR PANEL CLEANING They use deionized water and work in the Houston area. There is a benefit to cleaning the panels, just don't know how often and if the cost is worth the increase in production. Need to do some math there hehe For us in Texas with cheap electricity and shitty buyback it might not really matter much.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
I did leave out a lot of information .. sorry!
One person, 2 story house. Everything is gas powered except the AC of course. I just need the electric spark to ignite the gas. I estimate usage to be approx < 1kWh during the day without AC.

I am going to get 2 x PW2 installed. I've lived here for about 27 years and the longest the power has been down is between 2 - 3 days after Ike and during the 2021 freeze. Without AC I'm hoping the 2 x PWs will make it.

I was mostly curious about any potential roadblocks, one solar salesperson told me that you are not allowed to power batteries from the grid in the state of Texas. Presumably to sell me solar panels. This sounded very suspicious, don't folks charge EVs every day?

I am also curious how many kWh it takes to charge 2 Powerwalls.
You can go directly to Tesla and get all the info you need, Powerwall only installs are available from them:

Powerwall Direct | Tesla

Once you place an order they'll be able to answer your questions based on your electricity bills etc.

You can go directly to Tesla and get all the info you need, Powerwall only installs are available from them:

Powerwall Direct | Tesla

Once you place an order they'll be able to answer your questions based on your electricity bills etc.
Thanks. That was amazingly easy. I placed my order.
How do you know which Powerwalls you are getting, it only says Powerwall in the order. Hoping that means Powerwall 2.

How do you know which Powerwalls you are getting, it only says Powerwall in the order. Hoping that means Powerwall 2.
Powerwall 2 is the only one being made at the moment. When they pair it with a Tesla Inverter it's called a Powerwall+ but the battery portion is the same. You'll know for sure once your design documents are submitted to the city for permitting.

Yep, PW2 is what they sell now. Tesla should be able to look at your utility bill and your advisor can help you with knowing how many will serve you best.

As far as people saying you can not grid charge a powerwall in Texas, they must be mistaken since I charge mine on the grid every single night. I know there used to be some stipulations around grid charging and the tax rebate but those are no longer in effect. However, your tesla advisor should be able to give you those details. Congrats and let us know how it goes! Would be great to hear the details of the process for PW only installs for others in our area.

Just had my panels cleaned "professionally" for the first time on this past Sunday. Previously I've washed them with my well water and a brush from time to time, judging strictly from the amount of dirt I can see from ground level. Anyway, I've had three Tesla installs done at my house over three years and the guy who cleaned the panels has been to my house three times, if you can get what I'm putting down. He's a good dude and uses a low powered filtered system with a brush. Can answer most questions we have on here as well....just sayin.
I have 57 panels and paid $500.
Here's his business card, already gave him a heads up that I would post on here.
IMG_3037.jpg

I also had a Tesla site inspection today for three more Powerwalls, so hopefully I will have a site plan soon to see if PW3 is noted on there.

Any luck with the behavior changing? As others have said, it does sort itself out later on as it “learns” but no idea why.
This is my second or third night trying to train it. When free period starts i bump the backup reserve to 100% and it will fill the batteries to full.
Once full i reduce the reserve % and the batteries begin to power the house.
Not the behavior I want. I want grid to power the house during free night period.

Very frustrating.

Just had my panels cleaned "professionally" for the first time on this past Sunday. Previously I've washed them with my well water and a brush from time to time, judging strictly from the amount of dirt I can see from ground level. Anyway, I've had three Tesla installs done at my house over three years and the guy who cleaned the panels has been to my house three times, if you can get what I'm putting down. He's a good dude and uses a low powered filtered system with a brush. Can answer most questions we have on here as well....just sayin.
I have 57 panels and paid $500.
Here's his business card, already gave him a heads up that I would post on here.
View attachment 969051

I also had a Tesla site inspection today for three more Powerwalls, so hopefully I will have a site plan soon to see if PW3 is noted on there.
Nice! Thanks I have this saved for when I need it!

This is my second or third night trying to train it. When free period starts i bump the backup reserve to 100% and it will fill the batteries to full.
Once full i reduce the reserve % and the batteries begin to power the house.
Not the behavior I want. I want grid to power the house during free night period.

Very frustrating.
Very strange… I know this may come across as a dumb response haha but did you make sure that the setting is still on time based control not self-powered? Trying to think of anything that could cause that. If not I think I would reach out to Tesla because that’s not normal in my experience.

Very strange… I know this may come across as a dumb response haha but did you make sure that the setting is still on time based control not self-powered? Trying to think of anything that could cause that. If not I think I would reach out to Tesla because that’s not normal in my experience.
Yes, I double check and compare settings against the good working gateway and they are identical.
I think I will need to reach out to Tesla.

@DrewHou
👀
I hope it’s 2023.20 and not .7 😆

It’s 2023.7.30
I just got in the Tesla. They are screwing over Tesla Electric customers. By not allowing them to update to 2023.2#.##
So you can’t charge by Solar. I use the Charge app. So I don’t care about that feature. It would be nice to try it. 😆

1693349701655.png